General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By blindguy
So I'm long overdue for upgrading my cleaner from a spin clean to a vacuum system and was wondering if anyone had any pros/cons of one over anohter?

Back when i last started looking i was checking out the Music Hall WCS-2 (i see there is now a 3) over the VPI because I had heard it was similar quality but i liked the design better.; then saw there was a much less expensive pro-ject model coming out and eventually life got int he way of my research.

Being able to clean 7"s is a must.
The models seem to be pretty price fixed regardless of where you look, but if you know any good places to order from that would be great too.

Thanks for any tips/suggestions
By texasvinyl
Okki nokki is supposed to be a good one, I believe you have to purchase a separate vacuum tube for 7"

Personally I just use paint pads, microfiber towels and home brew fluid.
By monsterworship
I have a Record Doctor V Vinyl Cleaning Machine. its a manual turn, not really good for 7" so not an option for you.

It is a nice cheap option though ($199) for anyone else looking for a vacuum but don't want to drop 2 or 3x more in price for an auto.
By Dollarhyde
I have an okki nokki and I am very happy with it. I got mine on eBay. There is an official seller of sorts that sells brand new ones with minor defects that don't effect function, such as scratched paintwork etc...

As texas mentioned you have to buy a separate arm for cleaning 45s.

After using one for a while you get an appreciation for the cost. The high torque platter and the industrial sturdiness seems pretty essential to get good even pressure with the cleaning brush. I'm curious to know how the different models compare e.g. nitty gritty, VPI, Okki, Project, Vinyl Doctor.

You will need plenty of unused quality anti stat sleeves to put your newly cleaned records in, and new vacuum pads and cleaning brushes every so often. Im also now intending to purchase a Cork slipmatt as once you start playing vacuum cleaned records you realise how dirty and dusty those felt things can get.

There are plenty of demo videos on youtube that will give you an idea of how to use them. For example I like to use lots of liquid and a non alcohol solution ( just cleaning fluid mixed with purified water, not de ionized)

The results are pretty remarkable and sonetimes seem to really improve the sound dynamics of the record.

The only issue I have is that it's a bit of a hassle. Setting all the gear up, you still need to dry the records a bit, it's noisey smelly etc... Or, like me now, if you run out of new sleeves you best off not bothering until you have some more.

Oh and finding somewhere to by purified water can be a pain (Can be got cheap at a pharmacy but they may not realise they stock it ;P)

@monsterworship the record Doctor sounds like an interesting alternative
By Mateo Sanboval
I do not have one, but I've seen an Okki Nokki in action and it is impressive. Folks I know who have them swear by them. That said, the Record Doctor also receives high marks, but I have no way to gauge the difference between the two.
By texasvinyl
damn, that has to be the rolls royce of record cleaning machines. they would certainly thumb their noses at my dollar store microfiber towels and homebrew cleaning fluid!!
By blindguy
Thanks for the responses. The Clear Audio would be an easy winner, but i have a strict one matix limit, so can't do a double.

For some reason I had forgotten about the Okki Nokki lately, but right now thats looking like a good option with it's price allowing for me to buy the extra 7" and maybe 10" (i also collect 78s) as well. I hadn't even thought about then upgrading the sleeves....man it's a slippery slope. dollar store towels sound good.
By Bezulsqy
Look what my girlfriend got me!!!!!

I need distilled water for the cleaning fluid but every place nearby only has demineralised water. Going to order online. So first use will have to wait a couple of days.
By Dollarhyde
Bezulsqy wrote:Look what my girlfriend got me!!!!!

I need distilled water for the cleaning fluid but every place nearby only has demineralised water. Going to order online. So first use will have to wait a couple of days.

@bez

Have you tried any pharmacies? They should stock it for people on NIV (non invasive ventilation machines)who suffer from chronic sleep apnea or severe COPD. You shouldn't need a prescription though. They may need to order it in. I got about 8 litres for a few pounds. Had to try a few pharmacies first though.

You may have to be a bit persistent as often they don't know what it is,it's also called gentile water over here or purified water.
By Bezulsqy
@ Dollar
Thanks for the info. I figured pharmacies would have it. But the one nearby is closed and doesn't open till Monday. But I already ordered from an online pharmacy and it should arrive tomorrow. That means Sunday I can start to clean a lot of records.
By Mateo Sanboval

Damn.
By Bezulsqy
First spins with the Okki Nokki. Need to get a feel for the amount of fluid one applies.

This 1966 Victor release does improve remarkably.

By inksb

I wish my wife would buy that for my bday. Extremely jealous.
By blindguy
What an amazing gift! How's it working out? I still haven't pulled the trigger, though i did settle on the Okki Nokki barring any horror stories from you. I got bogged down in a few details including the difference between models. Does yours have the plastic vacuum arms or metal? I'm not sure which one is better, if either, but needed to be clear so i could order a 7" arm as well, and the store i was thinking of buying from didn't respond to my email.

The great water debate was also interesting as i foudn some people saying you need to use some $50 a gallon purified water and others saying regular old distilled is fine.
By Bezulsqy
blindguy wrote:What an amazing gift! How's it working out? I still haven't pulled the trigger, though i did settle on the Okki Nokki barring any horror stories from you. I got bogged down in a few details including the difference between models. Does yours have the plastic vacuum arms or metal? I'm not sure which one is better, if either, but needed to be clear so i could order a 7" arm as well, and the store i was thinking of buying from didn't respond to my email.

The great water debate was also interesting as i foudn some people saying you need to use some $50 a gallon purified water and others saying regular old distilled is fine.
It is working out very well :-)
Very easy to use. Fast as well. Biggest problem I have at the moment is that I do not know where to keep it... Now it goes back and forth from coffee table to dinner table.
I have the Mk 2 version with the plastic arm. I also need to order the 7" arm and I do not have the dust cover. That is ridiculously overpriced when you want to buy it separately.

There is a lot of debate what cleaning solutions are concerned. The Okki Nokki comes with a concentrated fluid that you have to mix with 1 liter of distilled water. I am sure that you can use demineralized water. Distilled water in Europe is cheap as well. Around 2 dollars a liter I think. It is more pure than demineralized and because of that will leave less residue. I think.
You can always create your own fluid.

The couple of records that I have compared before and after cleaning really sound better. Of course it does not fix pressing flaws or scratches but when playing on a high volume records do sound 'cleaner'.
By reddye6
Any suggestions for a vinyl-cleaning system in the $200 range?
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote:
reddye6 wrote:Any suggestions for a vinyl-cleaning system in the $200 range?
If you have your own shop vac

https://www.needledoctor.com/Record-Doc ... gJpnfD_BwE
I've never messed with one of these, but I'm always intrigued. I'm still a SpinClean user so I have nothing of use to offer this thread. Good day.
By reddye6
For those of you with the Record Doctor V, I've seen some Amazon reviews that discuss using the Spin-Clean first on albums and then using the RDV for a final drying and vacuuming. Do any of you replicate this process? Is it overkill?

I'm finally looking to pull the plug on a record cleaner (well, asking for one for my birthday). I was thinking about the RDV but then saw the Spin-Clean mentioned in relation.