General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Vapormeyer
So what’ll be spinning in your households over the Christmas period?
Any recommendations for vinyl that perfectly accompanies Christmas?
And If you’re Anti-Christmas what do you tend to put on?
By skeletonbutt
I've only got the Home Alone score, the Charlie Brown Christmas album, and the Bright Eyes Christmas album. I would also appreciate some more recommendations.
By Vapormeyer
Charlie Brown always gets a play in our household at some point during Christmas Day, normally along with The Gremlins OST.
By Mateo Sanboval
Ramsay Lewis', John Fahey's, and Sharon Jones' Xmas records have gotten quite a bit of play this year. Also Duke's Nutcracker Suite. I haven't yet busted out any of my Trunk Records Xmas weirdness, but I'll probably get to that this weekend.
By Mateo Sanboval
It's a jazzy time at Chez Sanboval.
By chiefbrody
I'll second Mateo's shout-out for Sharon Jones. Ain't No Chimneys in the Projects!

I know it's no secret, but you simply cannot go wrong with Phil Spector's A Christmas Gift for You. For what it is (a pop record), there are few that I hold in higher regard.

I really like Bright Eyes and Conor Oberst, but I can't quite get into the Christmas album. I'll keep trying, it wouldn't be the first Oberst-related project that's taken a while to land.

Some others to consider:
Silent Night, Deadly Night (Death Waltz)
Tracey Thorn - Tinsel & Lights (I'm currently listening to this)
Sufjan Stevens - Songs for Christmas
Low - Christmas (even if just for Just Like Christmas alone)
Home Alone (not only the score, but there's a compilation of songs and some score from 1 & 2 I think (Home Alone Christmas), which gives you the Darlene Love track)
You can't go wrong with the Trunk selections, but Jingle Bell Jazz and Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas are both essential.
By Mateo Sanboval
I'm not familiar with he Tracy Thorn record, Chief. I do believe I'll be checking that out. Trunk Xmas listening party is Saturday. By the bye, here's a Japanese children's choir Christmas download on the Trunk Records site for 50p right now. Wacky and worth it.

PS - CHIEF!!
By chiefbrody
Hey Mateo

It's good to be posting. I've been really skint recently (is skint an internationally recognised word?), therefore I've been cutting right back on what I've been buying (and when I do, generally buying digital no less). This forum is a killer for the wallet, as you'll all know! I tend to log in every couple of weeks now, rather than multiple times a day... until I can afford to!

All this said, this very morning I received The Connection in the post - my first vinyl purchase in a while (since the Carpenter Anthology, whenever that was).

I hope everyone on the board has a great Christmas (or holiday, whatever you celebrate), and you get a few new "vinyls" and the time to spin them this season.
By Mateo Sanboval
chiefbrody wrote:(is skint an internationally recognised word?)
Indeed it is, Chief. I've cut back a bit myself since the Summer ended, though I can't claim to have shown the same restraint as your good self. It's great to hear form you and I know everyone else feels the same. Happy Stuff & Things, amigo.
By ScoJo
chiefbrody wrote: I hope everyone on the board has a great Christmas (or holiday, whatever you celebrate), and you get a few new "vinyls" and the time to spin them this season.
Hail to the Chief!
By Mateo Sanboval
Vapormeyer wrote:I’ll drink to that. I’ll drink to pretty much anything. Merry Christmas everyone.
Hear hear.
By Bezulsqy
Merry Christmas and best wishes for you all.
I had a highly enjoyable year on this board thanks to you all!