General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
Nice spins @jimmymike & @tex

Madlib's new album arrived last week and I just had a moment to spin it this afternoon. I actually listened to each side twice. There's a lot going on and I missed stuff each time due to work and stuff being delivered. Overall I enjoyed it, I need to sit down with headphones though and really digest what's happening.

By CrossedPete
Small world @inks I was just listening to this on bandcamp. It sounds pretty good, I feel like I’ve been spending money like crazy lately so I’ll have to wait a bit to buy.
By inksb
Some City Pop for the early morning

Taeko Ohnuki - Adventure

And some 70's psych synth inspired maddness from Dream Division's Tom McDowell and a few friends. This one is really fun if you haven't heard it head over to Library of the Occult bandcamp and give it a listen.

The Psychic Circle - View From The Magicians Window
(cover is way too shiny to photograph well)

By reddye6
Sometimes With Others - Nous
Attachments
IMG_1007.jpg
IMG_1007.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 1327 times
By reddye6
Vactrol Park - Music From the Luminous Void LP
Attachments
IMG_1008.jpg
IMG_1008.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 1321 times
By reddye6
Yas-Kaz - Virgo Indigo
Attachments
IMG_1011.jpg
IMG_1011.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1285 times
By reddye6
I will be cycling through the four LPs in this box set today.
Attachments
IMG_1012.jpg
IMG_1012.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 1265 times
By reddye6
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:12 pm I don't know Ariel Kalma but was intrigued because I recently the Vol 2 box set for sale.
I picked up this first box set recently because the second one reminded me that the first one existed.

I already had a couple of things by him -- a collaboration with Sarah Davachi and he has a track on Light in the Attic's "Microcosm" new age box set -- and wanted to try this out. It's good so far, although I'm only on the first LP. It has that mystical feel that some '70s new age music has but with a bit more saxophone.
By chiefbrody
Both a new arrival and a now playing.
I really like this record. I've enjoyed the last 2 Daniel Davies records, and I've listened to this digitally before. I picked up this and Steve Moore 'Bliss' online for about £12 each. Still waiting on Bliss.
Attachments
20210215_185441_compress71.jpg
20210215_185441_compress71.jpg (523.57 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
By chiefbrody
Completely dispensable, as far as I remember, but I've become a White Stripes convert I've the last 10 years or so (ie too late to be any use!).
Attachments
20210215_200523_compress16.jpg
20210215_200523_compress16.jpg (428.61 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
By inksb
chiefbrody wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:07 pm Completely dispensable, as far as I remember, but I've become a White Stripes convert I've the last 10 years or so (ie too late to be any use!).
I'm a massive White Stripes/Jack White fan. I used to listen to these sessions a lot. I don't have this LP though, some how slipped through the cracks that it was even released on vinyl. What are your favorite albums? De Stijl & Icky Thump are my favorites. I was lucky to catch them on the Icky Thump tour. They never played near me during their active years. I've seen Jack play with his band a few times and honestly he puts on an incredible show. The Raconteurs were really fun live as well.
CrossedPete wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:00 pmThe Age of Electronicus
I randomly bought this a year or so ago for $4 and it was completely worth every penny. It's a fun little album.
By chiefbrody
inksb wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:19 pm
chiefbrody wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:07 pm Completely dispensable, as far as I remember, but I've become a White Stripes convert I've the last 10 years or so (ie too late to be any use!).
I'm a massive White Stripes/Jack White fan. I used to listen to these sessions a lot. I don't have this LP though, some how slipped through the cracks that it was even released on vinyl. What are your favorite albums? De Stijl & Icky Thump are my favorites. I was lucky to catch them on the Icky Thump tour. They never played near me during their active years. I've seen Jack play with his band a few times and honestly he puts on an incredible show. The Raconteurs were really fun live as well.
I randomly bought this a year or so ago for $4 and it was completely worth every penny. It's a fun little album.
Well, that Peel Sessions LP was better than I'd remembered, especially the first LP. I went through a spell where I subbed to the Third Man Vault so I picked up a lot of White Stripes live LPs, so I'm a bit spoiled for choice.

If I remember right the Peel Sessions LP was initially an RSD release, but was given a wider release later. Most of the WS RSD releases seemed to have been given a wider release afterwards - I picked up a GBMS with a special cover but it was £40 vs £25 when it was released a short time after.

Hard to argue with your choices, I think Icky Thump and GBMS are the ones I go to most often, and De Stijl my favourite of the earlier ones.

I've seen Jack White 3 times now, I think, and he's always been great.
By inksb
chiefbrody wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:04 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:19 pm
Well, that Peel Sessions LP was better than I'd remembered, especially the first LP. I went through a spell where I subbed to the Third Man Vault so I picked up a lot of White Stripes live LPs, so I'm a bit spoiled for choice.

If I remember right the Peel Sessions LP was initially an RSD release, but was given a wider release later. Most of the WS RSD releases seemed to have been given a wider release afterwards - I picked up a GBMS with a special cover but it was £40 vs £25 when it was released a short time after.

Hard to argue with your choices, I think Icky Thump and GBMS are the ones I go to most often, and De Stijl my favourite of the earlier ones.

I've seen Jack White 3 times now, I think, and he's always been great.
I was a subscriber at one point to the TMR vault program as well. I was really happy when they re-issued GBMS, the original run was super small and from what I had been told at the time not done very well, sound quality was sub par. I really love GBMS too, so many great tracks on there. This may have spurred some WS listening this evening.