General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
chiefbrody wrote:Just finished listening to this. Saw the singer from Richmond Fontaine a couple of weeks ago promoting his new book. Seems like a good egg. A couple of his books have soundtracks to them, including his new one, Don't Skip Out on Me.
I have a few Richmond Fontaine records, including Post To Wire, but I'd know idea that any of them were soundtracks to novels. I'll have to look into that.
By chiefbrody
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
chiefbrody wrote:Just finished listening to this. Saw the singer from Richmond Fontaine a couple of weeks ago promoting his new book. Seems like a good egg. A couple of his books have soundtracks to them, including his new one, Don't Skip Out on Me.
I have a few Richmond Fontaine records, including Post To Wire, but I'd know idea that any of them were soundtracks to novels. I'll have to look into that.
Hey @mateo, the singer, Willy Vlautin has wrote a few books - 2 of them (Northline and Don't Skip Out on Me) came with CDs of instrumental music to fit the stories. Both were also just released on vinyl. I'm not sure I'd rush to buy either on wax, but they're a nice bonus to the books.

I thought their final album before they split was up there with their best.
By Mateo Sanboval
Ah, gotcha. I misread your post. I'll still look into it. I like the concept. I didn't stick with RF long enough to hear their final LP, but I quite enjoyed Post To Wire, Fitzgerald, and Winnemucca.
By texasvinyl
This new 2814 12" is solid. Great stuff from HKE/Telepathe; Pillar is one of best electronic 12" tracks I've gotten in a good while. Same ambient vibe as Birth of a New Day but with a deep house muted driving bass throughout that creates a hypnotic but chill vibe. I should have bought two and might still snag one of the pricey resale copies as I can see myself wearing out this copy.
Attachments
IMG_20180215_224342177.jpg
IMG_20180215_224342177.jpg (3.64 MiB) Viewed 11231 times
By bpwlogan
@Mateo- I always liked that guy and the different style he has. I dragged that out of one of my bins at my locker the other day. I think it's gonna be on the turntable for some regular spins for awhile.
By Mateo Sanboval
bpwlogan wrote:@Mateo- I always liked that guy and the different style he has. I dragged that out of one of my bins at my locker the other day. I think it's gonna be on the turntable for some regular spins for awhile.
Skinner brought a legitimately different voice in hip-hop back when Original Pirate Material arrived Stateside. I'll defer to our friends in the UK about how original he was there, but to my (fairly) educated ear he had something special.
By monsterworship
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
bpwlogan wrote:@Mateo- I always liked that guy and the different style he has. I dragged that out of one of my bins at my locker the other day. I think it's gonna be on the turntable for some regular spins for awhile.
Skinner brought a legitimately different voice in hip-hop back when Original Pirate Material arrived Stateside. I'll defer to our friends in the UK about how original he was there, but to my (fairly) educated ear he had something special.
Love the Streets, i have the first four on vinyl.
By Mateo Sanboval
monsterworship wrote:Love the Streets, I have the first four on vinyl.
Piiiiimp.
By texasvinyl
Insta-bought when I heard about this one. How many great albums are there where there is 2LP worth of B sides that are as good as the album itself? It's awesome to have tracks like "memory gospel" on wax. The back cover on this copy is rotated 90 degrees clockwise from where it should be, I guess they assembled it wrong?
Attachments
IMG_20180221_174330534.jpg
IMG_20180221_174330534.jpg (3.99 MiB) Viewed 11118 times
By Mateo Sanboval
That certainly seemed a fertile time for him.
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote:One day I’ll find a copy of Elemental that isn’t disgustingly priced.... one day

Not if I find it first.
By chiefbrody
Haven't listened to this in years. I like it far more than I'd remembered.
Attachments
20180226_121325_resized.jpg
20180226_121325_resized.jpg (564.17 KiB) Viewed 11018 times
By ScoJo
chiefbrody wrote:Haven't listened to this in years. I like it far more than I'd remembered.
Great LP Chief!
By chiefbrody
Peak Prince. Pretty close to peak anyone, for my money. If any album proved he could do it all, it is this.

This is just the recent reissue. Sounds great though. Bloody shop put their own sticker over the hype sticker and ruined it though.
Attachments
20180226_121352_resized.jpg
20180226_121352_resized.jpg (745.81 KiB) Viewed 11015 times
By chiefbrody
ScoJo wrote:
chiefbrody wrote:Haven't listened to this in years. I like it far more than I'd remembered.
Great LP Chief!
Indeed it is ScoJo, I'm not sure what clouded my memory of it!
By ChrisMcQueen007
chiefbrody wrote:Peak Prince. Pretty close to peak anyone, for my money. If any album proved he could do it all, it is this.

This is just the recent reissue. Sounds great though. Bloody shop put their own sticker over the hype sticker and ruined it though.
Another great one, Chief! I also (only) have the reissue but as you said it sounds great, so a reissue done right.
By chiefbrody
First heard this on the DFN, knew I had to pick it up. I think this is the only PHV I own... Another DWO gem.
Attachments
20180226_151031_resized.jpg
20180226_151031_resized.jpg (304.97 KiB) Viewed 10999 times
By Hatter313
chiefbrody wrote:First heard this on the DFN, knew I had to pick it up. I think this is the only PHV I own... Another DWO gem.

Everything PHV puts out is solid, one of my favorite modern synth artists.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:
chiefbrody wrote:First heard this on the DFN, knew I had to pick it up. I think this is the only PHV I own... Another DWO gem.

Everything PHV puts out is solid, one of my favorite modern synth artists.
100%.