General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl

This Fela Kuti Vinyl Box #4 is great. I should have picked up the other three, now they're all stupid prices. Quality is reasonable, a hint of tape noise in the quiet parts, and I'm hearing some digital compression in the vocals.
By Mateo Sanboval
I have all four; it's a glorious endeavor.
By Mateo Sanboval
I love Curtis, but I only own his solo stuff through Short Eyes. Still, Roots and Curtis remain among my all time favorite records.
By texasvinyl

I do still need a copy of Curtis and Short Eyes. Also, I am going nuts trying to find my copy of Super Fly. It's gotta be misfiled. Arrgh

This one is solid though. Staple Singers over Curtis tracks including an instrumental funk jam "Big Mac"
By texasvinyl
No Leroy Hutson, will have to check him out. Discogs credits him on a couple things I have like Johnny Hammond Higher Ground on Kudu and Roberta Flack's First Take. I went through my whole damn collection and still couldn't find Super Fly. No idea where it went. Went ahead and ordered another copy.
By Dollarhyde
@texas Hutson's maybe not as political as Curtis, and much more on a feel good vibe, but that is no bad thing. Musically the guy is a real maestro and is a bit of an underated artist considering the amount and quality of his output. The albums Hutson, Hutson II and closer to the source are definitely worth checking, saying that all of his stuff I've heard has been great.
By texasvinyl

Replaced my disappeared copy of Super Fly.. still need the self titled debut album if anyone knows where to cop a decently priced clean original copy of that one.
By texasvinyl

Mr Bongo reissue of Krishnanda. It's an ok reissue. I like that it's a replica reissue, but the sound isn't perfect. I suppose it's possible the original doesn't sound perfect either, who knows, they're insanely scarce so I'll never hear one!

It's just a fantastic record though. Insert various superlatives.
By ScoJo
texasvinyl wrote:Image

Mr Bongo reissue of Krishnanda. It's an ok reissue. I like that it's a replica reissue, but the sound isn't perfect. I suppose it's possible the original doesn't sound perfect either, who knows, they're insanely scarce so I'll never hear one!

It's just a fantastic record though. Insert various superlatives.
Various superlatives?? Holy shit @tex - will investigate further!! :)
By chiefbrody
Not my favourite Tom Waits record by a good margin, but the recent remix convinced me to double dip and give it another chance.
Attachments
20180209_084046_resized.jpg
20180209_084046_resized.jpg (640.53 KiB) Viewed 10987 times
By chiefbrody
Just finished listening to this. Saw the singer from Richmond Fontaine a couple of weeks ago promoting his new book. Seems like a good egg. A couple of his books have soundtracks to them, including his new one, Don't Skip Out on Me.
Attachments
20180209_133158_resized.jpg
20180209_133158_resized.jpg (405.27 KiB) Viewed 10972 times