General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Oiche

When he’s not being a vampire or voiceover artist, Matt Berry has produced some of my favourite LPs with words in over the last decade. Opium is the better of the two listened to today.
By ScoJo
Oiche wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:55 pm Image

When he’s not being a vampire or voiceover artist, Matt Berry has produced some of my favourite LPs with words in over the last decade. Opium is the better of the two listened to today.
You might enjoy this- i shot most of a London show back in 2012 from the front row, surprisingly watchable/listenable! Some great tv theme covers, a Jimmy Saville gag and a version of One Track Lover!

https://player.vimeo.com/video/53263387
By Mateo Sanboval
Oiche wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:55 pm Image

Hell yes, Oiche! I love Berry's tunes, and have all of his LPs, but that's a different sleeve for Opium than I have. I believe that remains my favorite record of his to this day.

ScoJ, thank you for the link; I am stoked to see it. He does love his theme tune covers.
By Oiche
Have all of them too and I do think its his best Mateo. Stunning record. Would be interested to see your alt cover.
By Oiche
@ScoJo - really nice vid that. The Jim’ll Fix it intro was very funny. Also love his version of Sorry. That reference must be lost on a good number of that audience! :)
By reddye6
TJO is Tara Jane O'Neil
Attachments
IMG_0919.jpg
IMG_0919.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 1734 times
By reddye6
Harry Bertoia - Glowing Sounds. It comes out officially in early February, but orders from the label are shipping now.
Attachments
IMG_0915.jpg
IMG_0915.jpg (932 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
By inksb
I listened to that new Matt Berry album it's quite good. A few songs sound a little similar but his lyrics kind of carry those tracks.

This record finally arrived. It was shipped out of Germany on Oct. 21 and I was beginning to think it was just lost to the international postal black hole. But to my surprise it arrived on my door step yesterday. It's a 3 LP mixtape collecting tracks from Conway's earlier career, 2016-2018 mostly. What's nice is that it has some tracks from two of his rarest records that sell for over $500 these days. Unfortunately I received 3 defective LP's, every one of them have dimples in them (very similar to that Ninth Gate splatter) which causes many audible pops through out each side of each LP. Record is sold out and no way to get a replacement so I just live with the defective LP's. Also this might be one of the worst album covers I've seen in a while, it was specifically commissioned for the vinyl release, while the original art was bad, it was a mixtape so you just accepted it and moved on. The back is nearly unreadable with it's font choices and size.

Conway - 50 Round Drum
Vinyl-Digital
By inksb
Jahari Massamba Unit – Pardon My French
Released by Rappcats

Karriem Riggins playing drums with Madlib "playing" the rest of the instruments (Madlib is actually sampling everything). This falls into Madlib's Jazz lineup of releases and this one just hit for me. I remember reading about it earlier in the year and completely forgot about it by the time it released. A few weeks ago I was reminded of it's existence, checked the streaming services and hit play, by song two I was on discogs ordering a copy. I feel like a lot of you around would like this one so I recommend checking out a few tracks . Karriem's drumming is incredible and Madlib does a fine job creating space around it.

By chiefbrody
I have 2 things to say about this.

1. I may never tire if this record. It sounds as good as ever.

2. I forgot that I even had it on vinyl. I found it putting back the Mazzy Star album. I looked for it just a couple of weeks ago online and couldn't find it at a reasonable price, thinking it was missing from my collection. This is a good day.
Attachments
20210107_182139_compress17.jpg
20210107_182139_compress17.jpg (323.37 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
By ScoJo
chiefbrody wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:27 pm I have 2 things to say about this.

1. I may never tire if this record. It sounds as good as ever.

2. I forgot that I even had it on vinyl. I found it putting back the Mazzy Star album. I looked for it just a couple of weeks ago online and couldn't find it at a reasonable price, thinking it was missing from my collection. This is a good day.
I have two things to say, @chief:

1. Agree 100%

2. Having not played MR for years and years, I had a recent mad blowout and played their whole catalogue. Sadly, I no longer have any on vinyl (I once had everything-victims of one of my nutty 'purges' years ago...) but Ive started carting them for re-purchase. You're right - its going to hurt :( $$$$$s
By bpwlogan
20210107_170611~2.jpg
20210107_170611~2.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1600 times
RIP Doom

DANGERDOOM- The Mouse And The Mask.
2005 Epitaph Records.
By chiefbrody
@ScoJo, glad to hear it. I've never fully explored the pre-Deserter's era, but have pretty much kept track of them since. I wasn't alert to their full album DS tour a few years back, but I did see DS acoustic tour maybe 2 years ago. They were short shows, but it worked quite well. Some folk don't like these nostalgic album shows, but I'm fairly alright with it. I'd rather something new and exciting, but I don't only listen to new album, so why wouldn't I like live shows of old material?

This was a really nice release, well worth picking up. I got it pretty cheap if I recall.
Attachments
20210108_182028_compress30.jpg
20210108_182028_compress30.jpg (316.65 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
By tim28212
Tangerine Dream ‎– Optical Race
Private Music ‎– 2042-1-P
again, thanks @jimmy-mike!
Attachments
P1094063.JPG
P1094063.JPG (204.37 KiB) Viewed 1562 times