General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By The Cult Leader
Throwing down some hip hop vinyl on my wheels of steel tonight.

These are some of my essentials from past and present. Behold -

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana 2019
Gibbs knows how to make gangsta rap today sound so fresh. This record makes me want to quit my job and cook crack.
20210318_215602.jpg
20210318_215602.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 1828 times
Edan - Primitive Plus 2002
An album that embraces the late 80s and early 90s sound of hiphop, with old school beats and battle rhymes (the Primitive), while at the same time shakinghands with new school lyricism and space age effects (the Plus).
20210318_220004.jpg
20210318_220004.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 1828 times
Your Old Droog - It Wasn't Even Close 2019
The elusive NY lyricists third solo album. Packed from front to back with more vintage cultural references than you can shake a stick at. I just can't help but chuckle to myself pretty much the whole time. Every single track is chock-full of mind bending witty lines referencing howard stern and Don Imus, Lucy Lawless, Hanna Barberas Magilla Gorilla, the guitarist Buckethead, Trading Places, etc.
20210318_215831.jpg
20210318_215831.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 1828 times
Aesop Rock & Tobacco - Mailbu Ken 2019
2 of underground music's most consistent weirdos come together for an entire project. What can go wrong? Nothing - this record is great! Only Aesop Rock can make a song about Bald Eagles making a nest in Pittsburgh PA the town putting up an EagleCam for people to watch and then the eagles eating a cat they caught live on camera. Of course Aes doesn't spare any gory details.
20210318_220526.jpg
20210318_220526.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 1828 times
MF DOOM - Operation Doomsday 1999 RIP :(
January 1999... Came to destroy rap. The SuperVillian, MetalFace, MetalFingers, Viktor Vaugn, King Geedorah, Zev Love X, Daniel Dumile.

We lost our Jordan when he passed away last year. He was the greatest of all time. Doomsday was gluing true grit to bassline and made himself a hero and a villain at the same time. No one ever done it better so ima keep my computer on CAPLOCKS FOREVER.
20210318_220907.jpg
20210318_220907.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1828 times
Last edited by The Cult Leader on Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By inksb
The Cult Leader wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:41 am Nice score on the Conway record.

I'm kind of late on those guys. I ordered a bunch of different Daupe! releases for friends cause they know I'm fast at drops, but didn't keep any for myself. Shame since most of them are worth quite a bit.
Yeah it's kind of crazy.

I started following those guys around Supreme Blientele but didn't want to spend the $60 on the record because it was just too much, now it goes for over $200.

Great spins btw. Have you heard Droog's new album Dump YOD? It may be my favorite from him.

I'm glad they are reissuing all the DOOM records, I lost a few over the years and only have Mmm Food left. I need to add DOOMSDAY, Madvillainy back into the collection. And I'd love if they repressed the Viktor Vaughn stuff as the first one is one of my favorite DOOM records.

Gibbs & Madlib together are perfect. Pinata just turned 7 years old, fucking wild to me it's been that long.
By The Cult Leader
inksb wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:40 am
The Cult Leader wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:41 am Nice score on the Conway record.

I'm kind of late on those guys. I ordered a bunch of different Daupe! releases for friends cause they know I'm fast at drops, but didn't keep any for myself. Shame since most of them are worth quite a bit.
Yeah it's kind of crazy.

I started following those guys around Supreme Blientele but didn't want to spend the $60 on the record because it was just too much, now it goes for over $200.

Great spins btw. Have you heard Droog's new album Dump YOD? It may be my favorite from him.

I'm glad they are reissuing all the DOOM records, I lost a few over the years and only have Mmm Food left. I need to add DOOMSDAY, Madvillainy back into the collection. And I'd love if they repressed the Viktor Vaughn stuff as the first one is one of my favorite DOOM records.

Gibbs & Madlib together are perfect. Pinata just turned 7 years old, fucking wild to me it's been that long.
I was a hip hop fiend when I first started collecting records. While I was still in high school I would take trips to fatbeats almost every weekend to pick up the new releases. Sadly once I moved out of my parents and went to college I sold a lot of my collection. This was in 2005 when hip hop records weren't really worth shit. Got less than 5$ bucks for most of em. :/

Slowly have been building my collection back up since. I've been on a bit of hip hop binge this year and have been adding a lot of new albums. I still need add back a few DOOM records myself like the King Gheedorah and DangerDoom albums, but should have options to order those soon. Madvillain you can pre-order from Stones Throw.

If Dump YOD is the album with Fahim I haven't heard it yet. I know they dropped 2 projects at the same time. I still haven't listened to Krutoy in full yet, but I love the tracks I've heard so far and have LP ordered.
By inksb
The Cult Leader wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:30 pm
I was a hip hop fiend when I first started collecting records. While I was still in high school I would take trips to fatbeats almost every weekend to pick up the new releases. Sadly once I moved out of my parents and went to college I sold a lot of my collection. This was in 2005 when hip hop records weren't really worth shit. Got less than 5$ bucks for most of em. :/

Slowly have been building my collection back up since. I've been on a bit of hip hop binge this year and have been adding a lot of new albums. I still need add back a few DOOM records myself like the King Gheedorah and DangerDoom albums, but should have options to order those soon. Madvillain you can pre-order from Stones Throw.

If Dump YOD is the album with Fahim I haven't heard it yet. I know they dropped 2 projects at the same time. I still haven't listened to Krutoy in full yet, but I love the tracks I've heard so far and have LP ordered.
Dump YOD: Krutoy Edition is the one I'm talking about, which you have ordered. It's great. The two he did with Fahim are The Wolf of Wall Street (which I love, hope they press that one up) and the other one they did was Tha YOD Fahim, which is pretty good but I prefer Wolf to it. I have Tha YOD Fahim on pre-order. I also ordered the new Muggs & Flee Lord album last night, way too much fucking money but I do love Muggs production so I grabbed it. If I don't like it I can sell it for more than I paid anyways since it's sold out.

I was pretty similar, I've been a huge hip-hop head since the mid to late 90s. I discovered Wu-Tang, Gang Starr, Tribe, 8-ball & MJG, etc. Just consumed as much as I could. I started buying up a shit load of albums in the mid 00's and pretty much dropped off the early 10's, gave some away, let friends borrow some and sold off others. Been trying to build stuff back up again as there's a ton that I miss. I really regret passing on cheap copies of Supreme Clientele, that one has sky rocketed and with the lawsuits against them over the sampling I'm not sure we'll see it repressed at this point.
By tim28212
an amazing album
Dominique Fils-Aimé ‎– Stay Tuned!
Ensoul Records
Attachments
P3204244.JPG
P3204244.JPG (230.63 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
By CrossedPete
Saw a couple of you guys spinning some hip hop also noticed @dollar spinning a cold chillin album. I love everything cold chillin and have a decent collection of albums from the label. My goal is to get everything they released. Here’s one of my favourites
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 1751 times
By CrossedPete
Here’s another one of my all time favourites that just happens to be on Cold Chillin

Kool G Rap 4,5,6
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 1731 times
By inksb
Love that album @crossedpete, 4,5,6 is so damn good. It's a shame it's so expensive these days. I'd love to have a copy in the collection
By reddye6
7" now playing: Litmus "God Bomb"
Attachments
IMG_1133.jpg
IMG_1133.jpg (285.37 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
By Dollarhyde
CrossedPete wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:29 pm Here’s another one of my all time favourites that just happens to be on Cold Chillin

Kool G Rap 4,5,6 image.jpg
Thanks for the cold chillin recommends. Wow 4 5 6 is amazing! I always wondered what the fuss about Kool G was, I had heard other peices by him and wasn't amazed tbh, but this, damn!

I've always been more into the beats and production with hip hop than the lyrics and I love the production on these cold chillin releases.
By inksb
A few recent arrivals that I've been spinning a lot

Estee Nack - #AFRIKANFOLKMUSICFROMOUTTHEDIASPORA

Estee Nack & Al.Divino - The Door
Ordered this back in August and it finally fucking showed up. Great little album

By CrossedPete
Dollarhyde wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:35 am
CrossedPete wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:29 pm Here’s another one of my all time favourites that just happens to be on Cold Chillin

Kool G Rap 4,5,6 image.jpg
Thanks for the cold chillin recommends. Wow 4 5 6 is amazing! I always wondered what the fuss about Kool G was, I had heard other peices by him and wasn't amazed tbh, but this, damn!

I've always been more into the beats and production with hip hop than the lyrics and I love the production on these cold chillin releases.
Glad you liked them although I would say both of those releases are newer titles in the Cold Chillin catalog. For the most part all the early classics were produced by Marley Marl, albums like Goin off by Biz Markie of Long Live the Kane by Big Daddy Kane, even the first couple Kool G Rap & DJ Polo releases. Really any of the Juice Crews first albums were produced by him.

When it comes to 4,5,6 it was G Raps first album without longtime partner DJ Polo. I’m not sure who the producer was. I think there were a couple different producers that worked on it but yeah I too love the sound of that album. It was released in 95, right in the sweet spot for hip hop imo. It fits right in with Illmatic or Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous. Both of these have excellent producers and are classics.

When it comes to Smooth Assassin Biz Markie is credited as the producer but I’m pretty sure Granddaddy IU has spoken out publicly about who actually produced the album and not just took the credit. By the way his follow up Lead Pipe is really under appreciated
By reddye6
Clan of Xymox - Peel Sessions LP
Attachments
IMG_1140.jpg
IMG_1140.jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 1632 times
By Hatter313
reddye6 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:21 pm Clan of Xymox - Peel Sessions LP
Xymox on Spin! Now we’re talking haha!
By reddye6
Last spin for the night: Mecanica Clasica - Mar Interior LP
Attachments
IMG_1142.jpg
IMG_1142.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1621 times
By chiefbrody
The sound of the start of my weekend.

Artwork (and some of the sounds) making me think of Arrival. I think the background is that it's based on music/sounds from Radiophonic Workshop (maybe).
Attachments
20210326_182700_compress9.jpg
20210326_182700_compress9.jpg (353.59 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
By Mateo Sanboval
How is the new one, Jimmy Mike? I haven't had occasion yet.
By reddye6
V/A - Wound Without a Tear 2-LPs

Collection of Australian ambient and experimental music from 1993 to 2008
Attachments
IMG_1145.jpg
IMG_1145.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 1537 times