General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
Received this excellent album for Xmas. It has the worst fucking jacket design ever, it's split and gets caught when putting in and out, the jacket has the opening in the top. Ty just keeps getting better and better. I've been a fan since his S/T debut, every few albums he completely surprises me with evolving his music and becoming a better song writer. The man has released more records in a decade than most bands do in 40 years.

Ty Segall - First Taste
Drag City Records
By tim28212
this is the only vinyl I got for Christmas and man what a good one
Tangerine Dream ‎– Booster
Cleopatra ‎– CLP 2318
Attachments
PC263255.JPG
PC263255.JPG (244.4 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
By ScoJo
Is that the new one/current lineup Tim?

I randomly came across Ultima Thule today, vinyl comp of earliest stuff by proto-TD group from '71 and early singles... straight to top of my wants list!
By tim28212
ScoJo wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:36 pm Is that the new one/current lineup Tim?

I randomly came across Ultima Thule today, vinyl comp of earliest stuff by proto-TD group from '71 and early singles... straight to top of my wants list!
No, this was released in 2016. Even though it's released under the TD name I've read it's really just Edgar Froese. Eiteher way I really like it. Be warned there are some digital clithes in the vinyl. Some say it happened when the tracks were ripped from CD and others say happened in the electronics when recorded. I've only noticed it on one track so far, Logos.

Booster
By tim28212
"Heroes" Symphony - Philip Glass From The Music Of David Bowie & Brian Eno
Music On Vinyl Classical ‎– MOVCL015

Spinning some of my favorite purchases from this year and this is may be my #1.
Attachments
PC293268.JPG
PC293268.JPG (225.51 KiB) Viewed 3052 times
By tim28212
Broken Lamps ‎– Kaleidoscope
Electric Nerve Music ‎– ENM007
Attachments
PC293269.JPG
PC293269.JPG (216.48 KiB) Viewed 3049 times
By inksb
So here's a fun story. My brother is an extremely talented musician, he plays guitar, mandolin, banjo and fiddle. If you can't put together what type of music he likes from those instruments, it's bluegrass. He eats, breathes, lives and dies by bluegrass, not the new crap that's full of jammy tendencies or the hyper pretty Berklee music we've seen emerge from the genre over the last decade +. He's a traditionalist, Flatts & Scruggs, Bill Monroe, Vasser Clements, etc. I'm a big fan of the genre but my musical tastes are all over the map. He pretty much just listens to bluegrass with the exception to 70's funk, he loves that too. So to my complete surprise this summer he discovered Yellow Magic Orchestra through youtube, listened to a bunch of albums and liked a handful. Their self titled and Solid State Survivor were the ones he kept going back to and enjoying. I thought for xmas it would be fun to buy him a YMO record because I always buy him funk or bluegrass records.

I purchased a used US pressing for under $20, not a bad deal, had light scuff marks on the record according to the seller. When I received it there were gouges out of it, I won't even put it on my player to test for fear of damaging my needle. I could not find another pressing for under $20 that didn't have issues so I finally pulled the trigger on the MOV version that includes the US pressing and the Japanese pressing (Japanese version has one extra song). I put the brand new record in the OG sleeve and gave that to him for xmas and now I have a copy of the Japanese pressing for my collection. I love the record so it's nice to have finally.

The MOV pressing seems quite nice, although I haven't sat down with headphones yet to really dive into how good it sounds. Jacket is very heavy weight, front is US cover art (which I prefer), back is Japanese cover art.

By Revolver_OcelScott
inksb wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:53 pm
I purchased a used US pressing for under $20, not a bad deal, had light scuff marks on the record according to the seller. When I received it there were gouges out of it, I won't even put it on my player to test for fear of damaging my needle.
I get that not everyone is an expert on grading, but holy crap the amount of records I've gotten "VG+/NM-" that look like someone ran the record over concrete is crazy.

I always understate what my records are when selling them. I almost always knock them a level down from what they are. And I ALWAYS re-evaluate the record before shipping. I've sometimes caught a flaw I didn't see when I first bought them and send the buyer a message to let them know and see what they wanna do.
By Mateo Sanboval
Dollar, while I personally do not knock my vinyl down a grade when listing it for sale, I do err on the side of conservative grading. But I especially wanted to highlight your last point; re-evaluating the merchandise before it gets sent. This is so important. It gives the buyers a clear idea of what to expect and most importantly allows them to see that you care about the product. If more people did this, it would be a better world.
By inksb
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:56 pm I get that not everyone is an expert on grading, but holy crap the amount of records I've gotten "VG+/NM-" that look like someone ran the record over concrete is crazy.

I always understate what my records are when selling them. I almost always knock them a level down from what they are. And I ALWAYS re-evaluate the record before shipping. I've sometimes caught a flaw I didn't see when I first bought them and send the buyer a message to let them know and see what they wanna do.
Same. I don't think I've ever graded one of my records above VG+ on there even though they play perfectly. Partly out of fear that I'll get blow back on an expensive sale and a dispute but I always offer pics with my stuff too upon request. I cleaned a ton of records this weekend, a handful that I plan to sell and discovered imperfections on two of them that I never noticed, both happen to be from the same artist weirdly enough. I need to listen to them to see if it causes an issue or if it's just a visual imperfection
By Dollarhyde
@mateo I didn't say anything but I agree wholeheartedly ;)
The whole grading thing can be a nightmare but I appreciate how discogs limit the catagories for grading, no VG+++ or EX- crap.

... although I'm very guilty of using the " VG+ (Plays EX) " paradox ;D

My biggest gripe though (not discogs related) is when there's a photo of the label or tracklist, but the photo is so blurry that YOU CANT READ THE TRACKLIST!! So so annoying.
Or better, simply a photo of a stack of records and the description says something like "lot of soundtrack vinyls"

Apologies for the derailment
By Dollarhyde
May have to grab this, I've not heard it yet. I didn't realise it was a 'thee roundtable' release. Very impressed with the sound, and overall quality, of their other releases.
By Mateo Sanboval
Oh, shucks. I need to stop replying to posts before my feet hit the floor. Revolver, Dollar, my sincerest apologies. And well said, Revolver!
By chiefbrody
I've been meaning to play this since it popped up on a few turntables on here just before Christmas. Solid, as always, from Moore/Zombi.
Attachments
20200113_102338.jpg
20200113_102338.jpg (925.87 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
By static14
Been a while since I’ve spun this.
Attachments
5F24994D-A86C-4641-9986-AF1CAEC9AE2C.jpeg
5F24994D-A86C-4641-9986-AF1CAEC9AE2C.jpeg (704.52 KiB) Viewed 2813 times
By static14
Also thanks to @monsterworship. This is pretty damn great. :)
Attachments
EDA03518-DD27-428F-A724-3EE01DD248E3.jpeg
EDA03518-DD27-428F-A724-3EE01DD248E3.jpeg (587.41 KiB) Viewed 2696 times