General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
Getting in some quality turntable time working from home today.. figured I'd start a now playing thread for stuff other than soundtrack/library records..

Love these nice MoFi reissues. I'm not a big dead head, but I do like this record and a couple others.

By texasvinyl

This Sandy Bull comp on Vanguard is definitely worth checking out. He put out his debut album in 1963 with the lead track being a 22 minute eastern-tinged improvisational guitar piece backed by jazz drummer Billy Higgins. That track, Blend, is side A of this comp:

By Mateo Sanboval
I cannot abide 95+% of the Dead, but Sandy Bull, at least the modest bit I know of him, is legit. Especially that stache.
By texasvinyl

Went in for this during the Waxwork cyber Monday sale, with the extra subber discount it brought the price down quite a bit. Decent record, not great but okay. Maybe I'm just a little on overload with all of the retro synth electronica stuff. Listening on a new set of cans (Audio Technica M50X) and it sounds great.
By texasvinyl

Esprit / George Clanton - 100% Electronica reissue plus new 200% Electronica album. The first is kind of chillwave + synth pop and has vocals. The second is dreamier instrumental vaporwave. Both great as is his virtua.zip album.

There are like 40 of the 1000 pressing run still up on his Discogs.
By Mateo Sanboval
I've never been able to truly get into Clanton's music myself, but I'm grateful to him for reissuing Software. Hopefully he releases a few more of their back catalog in was.

PS - Tex, have you gotten your Mac Plus yet?
By Mateo Sanboval
@Tex - Here neither.
@Gibbsy - I need to check out that Brass Hearse. It seems to be making the rounds right now.
By skeletonbutt
Not sure where to post this, but if any Canadians want Frozen Existence (Vinyl) 2016
by Repeated Viewing, amazon.ca has it for $11.31 right now with free Prime shipping.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote: @Gibbsy - I need to check out that Brass Hearse. It seems to be making the rounds right now.
I I am not mistaken @Gibbs is playing the Cadabra Records 7" The Hearse Song:
https://cadabra-records.myshopify.com/c ... l-strategy

And you are referring to Brass Hearse (the band) https://brasshearse.bandcamp.com/

Both are piquing my interest.
Well I'll be a tinker's cuss. Right you are as per, Bez.
By ScoJo
File 11-12-2017, 17 23 19.jpeg
File 11-12-2017, 17 23 19.jpeg (991.56 KiB) Viewed 15263 times

Jozef Van Wissem & Jim Jarmusch

The Mystery of Heaven
(2012, Sacred Bones)

2017 re-issue on gold vinyl. Really digging this - if you're into what SQURL did for 'Only Lovers Left Alive' and perhaps Neil Young's 'Dead Man' score, this is a strong recommendation.
By ScoJo
Two Vangelis from mid-80s that I'm not sure I've ever heard of - music is definitely new to me anyway:
File 11-12-2017, 17 23 46.jpeg
File 11-12-2017, 17 23 46.jpeg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 15255 times
VANGELIS
Soil Festivities
(1984, Polydor)

Pretty great, dreamy and soaring and very Blade Runner - Mr Papathanassíou at the height of his Yamaha-CS80 powers.
File 11-12-2017, 17 24 12.jpeg
File 11-12-2017, 17 24 12.jpeg (1016.18 KiB) Viewed 15255 times
VANGELIS
Invisible Connections
(1985, Deutsche Grammophon)

Well this is a real oddity - the most spare, challenging, avant garde Vangelis that I've ever heard. Will need to give this at least 3/4 plays before I can unravel my thoughts and feelings on this one.
By texasvinyl

minor quibbles like some tape noise, but this is a helluva lot better than the first mono pressing I have. This is the 2017 analogue productions 2x45 rpm mono cut.
By Mateo Sanboval
You're killing it tonight, Tex. Any Ashby is worth every penny. I firmly believe that. And Dorothy's Harp is dead lovely. I've had Django/Misty and Concierto de Aranjuez in heavy rotation since springtime. Of course Pet Sounds is an obscenely good pop record. I've almost bought the AP pressing several times, but have always talked myself out of it.
By texasvinyl

Finally getting to listen to this one. Got a copy earlier this year that got shattered in transit, and it was a crazy adventure getting the USPS and the Swiss Post to communicate and eventually get the sender reimbursed by the Swiss Post. Found a clean second copy with a beat up jacket and matched it up with the clean sleeve from the first copy.

It's a crazy French psychedelic jazz funk gospel soul record with (I think) South American and Indian influence, really good stuff.

Second plug for these audio Technica M50X monitor headphones. I think for the price they are tough to beat.