General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By NathanLurker
So this is on kickstarter right now.

Kickstarter Link

I know... I know. This looks like a hipster project for people who don't know anything about vinyl. But hear me out. I'm interested in having a player that I can place in my bedroom put a record on, and fall asleep to. I used to have a technics that had the autostop feature and would listen to my drone records then. So those integrated speakers are interesting for me in this case (my sound system is not in my bedroom) and the autostop feature is integrated in the spinbox. It does have a 'cool' factor.

The main concerns are 1-that the tonearm and core plater are one piece, no anti skating feature, no customization for the weight, 2- what about vibrations from the integrated speakers? and 3- Even though I'd listen only to used records or records that don't have a high value, will it break the records ?

Another thing I find interesting with this, is the possibility to go to record fairs, or used record store, and be able to preview a record on the fly since the spinbox can be easily carried. and obvisouly, bring it to a friend's place.

Also, If I want to build a custom coffin case thing to spin old used records in a party, it would be easy to build a custom setup with these.

What do you guys think ? any observations regarding the core module with the platter and tonearm ?

Are you guys thinking this is like the Crosley ? Cool object/record destroyer ?
By bpwlogan
It's probably not my thing, but I say if you like it go for it. I don't think it will "break" or damage your records as long as you're not playing the same record day in and day out on this type of turntable.

I like the 2001 takeoff on the promotion of the product.

A little love for the average hipster that doesn't know anything about vinyl too... If it wasn't for them I don't think we would see the releases we've seen the past decade or so. With the exception of some independent labels and the very limited pressings from the majors vinyl was almost completely dead from 1990-2005.
By Dollarhyde
I would be very wary of the sound and build quality.

Looking at some user unboxing videos on YouTube the sound seems pretty rubbish and the tone arm looks like it's at sea bobbing up and down. It does seem to be stereo though.

Someone once bought me one of those gpo record players and it's completely useless.
It could possibly be used as a torture device or something :) really!

This may sound a bit better. But I think drifting off listening to one these may give you nightmares :0
By NathanLurker
@bpwlogan : true,about the hipsters. I don't mind them actually and the term is thrown around a bit too much sometimes.

@Dollarhyde : I didn't know what are the GPO record players, I just googled it, looks like the Crosleys to me. They don't look interesting too much heh ? and I should probably feel the same about the Spinbox when it comes down to it. Maybe I just miss having a table in my bedroom too much but don't want to invest in a second sound system setup.
By Dollarhyde
@Nathan
I like the design of the spin box and the principal, but part of me is thinking style of substance.

I've heard good things about audio techica's cheapest turntable which has a built in preamp. You would just need some small speaker set up.
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turnt ... index.html

There is also a plethora of vintage and second hand portable set ups, out there.