General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By DigitalHiss
I'm hoping this is a simple fix, but before I take this thing apart I figured I'd ask for suggestions first..

I've got a Marantz SR6000 that has an issue with the left channel. The left speaker drops in and out when I turn the volume knob and is scratchy as hell (only in the left speaker).

I'm thinking of taking the receiver apart and hitting the volume knob guts with some contact cleaner and see if that is the cause. The left speaker does work intermittently but quickly drops out so I don't think it is the speaker...I also get the left channel dropout through the headphone jack...so it has to be something within the receiver itself.

Anyone ever have a prob similar to this?
Last edited by DigitalHiss on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
By skeletonbutt
I'm going through a similar problem with an old Realistic receiver that I have, and have gone through this with other vintage receivers. I'm about done with these old things. I'm not technical so it would likely cost me more to fix it than it's actually worth. I just want something that works, goddamnit!

Anyways, I'd suggest cleaning the pots with some DeOxit and working the knobs. If that doesn't work, maybe some caps are going inside and need to be replaced.
By Dollarhyde
Is the problem dependant on a particular channel of the receiver. For example maybe the phono channel is playing up (broken internal phono pre amp) but the aux channel is ok.
I had a similar sounding problem but only on the phono channel. This pushed me to purchase a REGA phono pre amp, which I run through the aux channel. And it works a treat.
By static14
@Digitalhiss start with cleaning the volume and balance pots (and the rest while you're at it) with deoxit. Really give em a good working over.

Always start with the simple things first. That being said while you're inside take a look around for any leaky or bulging caps and if you see any make note of the UF and voltage of each suspect cap.

Once you've given the pots a good cleaning check everything out if it sounds fine you're good to go. If not tackle the caps next.
By DigitalHiss
Dollarhyde wrote:Is the problem dependant on a particular channel of the receiver. For example maybe the phono channel is playing up (broken internal phono pre amp) but the aux channel is ok.
I had a similar sounding problem but only on the phono channel. This pushed me to purchase a REGA phono pre amp, which I run through the aux channel. And it works a treat.
All channels..cassette deck, headphones/aux, turntable, radio everything drops and scratches.
By DigitalHiss
static14 wrote:@Digitalhiss start with cleaning the volume and balance pots (and the rest while you're at it) with deoxit. Really give em a good working over.

Always start with the simple things first. That being said while you're inside take a look around for any leaky or bulging caps and if you see any make note of the UF and voltage of each suspect cap.

Once you've given the pots a good cleaning check everything out if it sounds fine you're good to go. If not tackle the caps next.
Thanks for the info...I'm hoping it is just the volume pot. This weekend I'm going to take some compressed air and some contact cleaner to the insides of this thing and hope it stops the problem.
By DigitalHiss
A few days ago I turned the stereo on and it worked. It hasn't worked for weeks with that left channel in and out...

There was a few days of high humidity here...maybe that helped make some connections inside the receiver (?) The volume knob still scratches a little when I adjust it but once it is still it sounds fine.

I'm still going to take it apart sometime but just thought I'd bring this weirdness up.