General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Guys !
This is coming out for RSD and no one mentioned it I think :

This is the legendary Japanese "Pink Violence" album, Ike Reiko's You, Baby, aka Kôkotsu No Sekai, originally released in 1971. It is naïve jazz and pseudo spy theme movie music is all draped in a shroud of sexual shouts, screams, and coos from the clearly excited Reiko. "An unprecedented maelstrom of eroticism and sexual depravity. Ike's vocals breathe with an astonishing naturalness, dripping honeyed and golden-tongued into the ears with angelic ease." --Mutant Sounds Limited edition, 180 gram green-colored vinyl; Hand-numbered sleeve; Includes CD.
By jgibbs4053
Did everyone get what they were looking for? My store didn't have either OWS album but I was able to pick up Abdullah. If anyone is interested in Andromeda Strain my store had it still when I left for like 40-45.
I managed to pick up both versions of Quatermass, abdullah, pinapple express, the the 7", and blade runner. very happy. though i too couldnt find either OWS releasess or Andromeda. if anyone can pick up a copy for me please let me know would be much appreciated
By Hatter313
I'm heading out into the wilderness now....wasn't going to this year but...
By reddye6
I was able to get a copy of "Metropolis," Goblin's "Notturno," "Dr. Who and the Pescatons," and Hudson Mohawk's "Watch_Dogs 2" soundtrack. I wasn't able to find a copy of "Abdullah," but I'm hoping it shouldn't be too hard to find later. For those who did get "Abdullah," does the vinyl play at 45 rpm? I saw the movie online, and it's only 12 minutes -- is the release also only about 12 minutes?
Not venturing out this year. We are being blessed with unexpectedly fine weather today so I am heading to the coast. I can't see any of the releases that I want being unavailable after today. Always nice to see everybody's hauls though. Folks getting what they want and hooking each other up. It warms the cockles.
By reddye6
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Not venturing out this year. We are being blessed with unexpectedly fine weather today so I am heading to the coast. I can't see any of the releases that I want being unavailable after today. Always nice to see everybody's hauls though. Folks getting what they want and hooking each other up. It warms the cockles.
I'll tell you what, I got some hooking up at the record store, which helped a lot. Talked with some folks in line about what we were getting. One of the guys ended up finding me the "Metropolis" and "Dr. Who" releases for me, while I found him two Sun Ra releases. I don't think I would have gotten my two releases without his help. It's such a madhouse -- I was close to the front of the line when I went into the store and then found myself a few rows deep in humanity. That's one thing I don't like about RSD; it's so manic and filled with tall people.
By chiefbrody
That's interesting, @red. I didn't go this year. Wife had plans, so I went to see Peppa Pig: My First Cinema Experience. No contest, really.

What's interesting though is that one of the things that leaves me a bit cold about RSD - other than flippers and over-inflated prices - is that the day itself just seems to be people handing over wishlists to the good folks behind the counter; there's no rummaging, no perusing, it's quite clinical. Maybe fair - if you've stood in the queue long enough, it's better you get the record than someone who's walked in behind you but found it first. It's not the 'record store' experience, but for the fact that you pay money and go away with records. On balance though, if it keeps some shops open, I'm all for it, even if I'm more likely to support on non-RSD than RSD.

I do enjoy the social aspect too, of meeting others in the queues.

Hope everyone enjoyed the day and got what they want.
By seb
Hope you guys have a great RSD17. Don't pay crazy flipper prices for the 'Cobra Verde' or 'Metropolis' releases.

I'm sure some stock will be put online by various retailers worldwide and some will make it to Discogs at decent prices.

Like every RSD... You have friends on here who can help you out / hook you up!
By blindguy
I usually stay away from the rsd bashing, but today was the most disappointing day for me, only got about half of what was on my list, and almost nothing from the scores (no andromeda, metropolis, dark crystal, or even moana!). After waiting in line for an hour for what i did get (at least got blade runner) headed to a seond store and found nothing additional there. At that point didn't even have the spirit to browse the used records but at least got a good lunch.

Ah well, i can always pick up that $12 Sun records comp for $50 on ebay.
seb wrote:Hope you guys have a great RSD17. Don't pay crazy flipper prices for the 'Cobra Verde' or 'Metropolis' releases.

I'm sure some stock will be put online by various retailers worldwide and some will make it to Discogs at decent prices.

Like every RSD... You have friends on here who can help you out / hook you up!
Sage words from one of our beneficent progenitors.
By Hatter313
Walked into my local store and the owner handed me blade runner right off the bat, his store was already cleaned out by the time I got there at like 1040. Picked up the Link Wray "beans and fatback" and the Moondog reissue, both superb in vastly different ways. Picked up the lalo schifrin set too, nice comp with some gems on it for sure.
I skipped the morning rush and went to some places a few hours after opening. Got basically everything I wanted: Dagored reissues, Goblin, Popol Vuh, Spacemen 3, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders. TBH, though, getting the Goblin and Spacemen 3 required pulling a few strings in advance. And mailordered all the SONOR stuff (which I saw none of here in Canada), so going to have to wait for those to eventually arrive.

Today I saw lots and lots of copies of the Death Waltz and OWS releases still kicking around. I honestly think there is going to be no trouble getting those ones if you're still in need. I still even saw DW's RSD things from past years still out there on the shelves.
I highly recommend picking up the Flower Travelin Band - Anywhere reissue. Amazing Japanese psych record, covers of Black Sabbath, king crimson etc.
Original prices are bonkers.

I got everything I wanted and helped out a few people too.

I went to 5 record stores within 2 hours time, fun. Got lots of great new and used records and this year I didn't buy any records that are gonna sit around in shrink.

earth day, pffft, I've left a sweet carbon footprint today driving around buying vinyl.
By reddye6
monsterworship wrote:I highly recommend picking up the Flower Travelin Band - Anywhere reissue. Amazing Japanese psych record, covers of Black Sabbath, king crimson etc.

I went to 5 record stores within 2 hours time, fun. Got lots of great new and used records and this year I didn't buy any records that are gonna sit around in shrink.

earth day, pffft, I've left a sweet carbon footprint today driving around buying vinyl.
Were you mainly in Pittsburgh for RSD? If so, which stores did you hit?
reddye6 wrote:
monsterworship wrote:I highly recommend picking up the Flower Travelin Band - Anywhere reissue. Amazing Japanese psych record, covers of Black Sabbath, king crimson etc.

Were you mainly in Pittsburgh for RSD? If so, which stores did you hit?
Yeah only Pittsburgh.

The Attic is the best store for RSD.
I also hit up Eides and 3 The Exchanges.