General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

cheers to everybody. i have mentioned doing this a while ago and i try to start now.

as a deep sea diver with the zodica sign being aquarius, it is almost natural that i became obsessed with subaquatic music of all kinds.

the aim of this thread is to present as many stuff as possible with a clear focus on library music. besides library there are many other records that need to be mentioned. i have reorganized my collection and will present the stuff in no particular order. i hope somebody will enjoy this thread and learn something new about underwater records.

please feel free to submit or comment without insulting me, haha!

first record i want to start with is on the beloved Bruton Music label. it contains a small suite like composition at the end of the B-side by a quite unknown composer. the music sounds like the score to a short movie. lovely!

https://www.discogs.com/John-Scott-Andr ... se/2915104
20161116_060611.jpg
20161116_060611.jpg (100.17 KiB) Viewed 6708 times
Last edited by milliondollars on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milliondollars, looking forward to how this thread evolves.
I have no knowledge about underwater sounding records. Can you tell me more about why this is a thing? Origins? What makes a track a subaquatic track?
For instance, listening to the youtube clip on the discogs link you posted I hear something I do like hearing, but cannot link it to underwater sensations.

I do get more bubbling sensations from the Fabio Fabor Aquarium release:

Love to be submerged with subaquatic knowledge!
@million can't wait to see all of the underwater stuff you have!!

This Sorgini is a pretty crazy one, the descriptions on the back cover reference underwater scenes and undersea science laboratories. The title translates to "In the boundaries of knowledge"
Speaking of underwater records... finally joined the cool kids club with one of the Vedette pressings, friend in Rome hooked me up. Agree sounds richer than the repress... Repress sounds a little tinny doing an A/B comparison.
Attachments
IMG_20161116_184242.jpg
IMG_20161116_184242.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 9443 times
@Bezulsqy: tough question, haha! i could really not tell what exactly makes underwater music sound like underwater music. there are certain instruments (vibes for example), and effects (like reverb or blur) being used by a lot of artists. underwater music can be played by orchestras but also by a also you could be performed by a single person controlling some electronic kind of instruments. i would say that underwater usually is quite slow but not all the time. if there is some tension in the music it might be faster.
usually the music is made for underwater television and cinema but in the end it is all about your personal imagination i guess. there is stuff that is not tagged as underwater music that sounds like bubbly as hell and the other way arround if you know what i am trying to say...

@Dollarhyde: got about six underwater related CAM records, will definitely post them once i have time.

@Texasvinyl: i luckily own this crazy and overlooked Sorgini record, if i remember right i have posted it in the library thread a while ago...
next Bruton i want to show is probably not well known for underwater cues but it contains three brilliant ones by the famous John Cameron (Submarine, Tropic, Tropic 2). the last titles would not let you expect subaquatic sounds but if you hear these tunes you know what they are about. all in all this is a great record and would make it into my personal Bruton top 10...

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Surviva ... se/3579846
20161116_062723.jpg
20161116_062723.jpg (101.2 KiB) Viewed 6708 times
Last edited by milliondollars on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
another Bruton i picked for five amazing tunes is made by James Asher. he was very active for Bruton and Studio G in the early 80s and did some great electronic music. the cues are the last five ones one the B side (Submarine, Dark Vibrations, Seaweed Cluster, Seabed, Bubbles) with the title Seabed being my favourite. can be picked up for cheap and the whole LP is great and has a funny cover, too...

https://www.discogs.com/James-Asher-Ele ... se/1998676
20161117_205911.jpg
20161117_205911.jpg (160.05 KiB) Viewed 6708 times
Last edited by milliondollars on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great thread!

Francois de Roubaix was a life-long diver, who sadly drowned aged 36 after only a ten year career in film music. He's one of my all time favourites however, boldly experimenting with electronics and orchestral scoring during that brief time, composing for an incredible range of film and television projects.

This WeMe 2x LP compilation of short film work is a great place to start, and includes a lot of under-watery music...
18239507716_1f314dff68_z.jpg
18239507716_1f314dff68_z.jpg (190.32 KiB) Viewed 9391 times

@disco: it's so great that you mention Francois de Roubaix in here. i have his records and i was planing to post some of the stuff later.

another must have underwater record is Sub-Aquatic Meditation by Panabrite which is a pseudonym of Jurgen Muller, who made another milestone underwater record in the 80s (will post that one later). the Panabrite record is outstanding and it is dedicated to no others than Sven Libaek, Francois de Roubaix and Michel Redolfi who is the biggest pioneer of underwater music for me (will also post later). just reading this dedication to these giants, you know what to expect from this record...

https://www.discogs.com/Panabrite-Sub-A ... se/3341127
20161117_194312.jpg
20161117_194312.jpg (146.1 KiB) Viewed 6708 times
Last edited by milliondollars on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not sure if you're taking the mick, $1000000, but Panabrite is a synonym of Norm Chambers who "is" Jurgen Muller, an invented persona. The Muller stuff was very much written and recorded in the late 2000s.
@Mateo:...and the donkey award is given to......... Million$$$...haha!

it is funny because i have purchased the Jurgen Muller record quite some years ago and read something that must have been a fake interview then. i have purchased the Jurgen Muller record without knowing it is a pseudonym. found the connection on discogs only recently. crazy internet is playing tricks on me, fu**ing up my mind. too much for my me, haha!

Thanks Mateo. now it all makes sense...
@million

I hate to be the one to do this to you man, but....

Mateo Sanboval is actually the pseudonym for Nemet Gurdyen, a wildly controversial Turkish billionaire playboy who built an empire from monetising any and all use of the phrase 'tickled pink', which is in turn actually the nom-de-guerre for Sum Kar Wei, a 63 year old Chinese soap mega-star from the 80s (the show was a Cantonese version of The Golden Girls) which in turn is the cover-handle for one retired Scots Guard Corporal-turned infamous Ballymorie Salmon poacher Hamish 'Roddy' Macrooth. Don't feel too bad, we have all been duped!
ScoJo wrote:@million

I hate to be the one to do this to you man, but....

Mateo Sanboval is actually the pseudonym for Nemet Gurdyen, a wildly controversial Turkish billionaire playboy who built an empire from monetising any and all use of the phrase 'tickled pink', which is in turn actually the nom-de-guerre for Sum Kar Wei, a 63 year old Chinese soap mega-star from the 80s (the show was a Cantonese version of The Golden Girls) which in turn is the cover-handle for one retired Scots Guard Corporal-turned infamous Ballymorie Salmon poacher Hamish 'Roddy' Macrooth. Don't feel too bad, we have all been duped!
that is the best thing I've read in ages, haha .....absolutely knocked me off my chair! made my weekend @ScoJo :)
@$1000000 - Happens to the best of us. In truth, I wasn't sure if you were messing about yourself!

@ScoJo - That paragraph could pass for the sixth installment of Hitchhiker's Guide. Positively Adamsian.

@Sonny - I'm with you, mang.Image
ok guys, time to reveal my real pseudonym. this is actually me:

i was lucky enough to learn how to use the very first underwater computer ever, learning to write on a underwater keyboard. this fact made me able to make it to this forum. the real reason why i am into underwater is because back in the days all our underwater record shops carry underwater music only. this is the type of music we like and listen to every day. it's all natural...
time to get back to the program, haha!

this one is the last and probably best one from the Bruton underwater stuff (at least the ones i know). it features music by the famous Alan Hawkshaw mostly who is a well known KPM pioneer. amazing atmosphere from start to finish...

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Underwo ... se/1939085
20161116_062844.jpg
20161116_062844.jpg (118.88 KiB) Viewed 6708 times
Last edited by milliondollars on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.