General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

jesus, the underwater library list is more than 160 records long now. i need to post more stuff...

picked this one by William Loose on the Amphonic label. like this one a lot as it covers different themes that are illustrated on the cover: snow&ice, desert, jungle/swanp, ocean. music comes in the same order the illustrations. this one is old school procudtion and sounds more like late 60s than 1987 when it was released. the last four cues are beautiful undewater compositions: Moving Sea, Mysterious Sea, Ballet In The Sea, Beneath The Sea

https://www.discogs.com/William-Loose-T ... se/3412288

Johannes Fiala Musikverlag is an obscure late 80s german library label and only three releases are known to exist. picked up all of them over the years. they do not show up very often but if they do, they are mad cheap. i believe i paid 1€ for my copy.

this is the first volume with lots of different ambient stuff. Aquarium and Diving-Bell are underwater with Diving-Bell being my favourite. actually more of the A side cues sound beneath the water surface.

the cover is funny. if you look at it, it looks like a dead serious library record but if you look closer there is a funny little worm sitting on the letter S. what the hell were they thinking? never figured what the worm has to do with the music...

https://www.discogs.com/Andreas-K%C3%B6 ... se/8282019

another one on the Johannes Fiala label is undoubtedly one of the genuine underwater libraries. this is a true beauty. A side is the dreamy, friendly one while B side is dark suspense. found a second copy in a euro bin and i am guilty for fu**ing up the discogs price. i have listed the record for 10€ and made a mistake by adding too much zero's. somebody was desperate enough to snag my copy immediately. on one hand i am happy but on the other i hate it and i wonder how many times this happens. now there's another seller trying to move his VG+ copy for the same price but he will most likely never sell it.

this record is highly recommended but i suggest to look at ebay. i would never pay more than 20 € for it.

https://www.discogs.com/Alexander-Cherd ... se/4115693

milliondollars wrote:@Mateo: will keep my eyes open. like i mentioned. they are cheap but don't turn up too often. i like the first two (JFM 101 & JFM 102) the best...
You're a good man, $1000000.
while everybody else seems to be busy trying to catch the most elusive italian titles for their record collections and spend some super stupid money on them, people are (luckily) still sleeping on american library. this one from the short lived New York based label is the bomb. i was watching it on auction recently and was wondering what low price it went for.
record s divided in two sections (rhythm stuff and abstractions) and i can't tell which side is better. the rhythm stuff is absolutely mad! stone cold killer!
the abstractions cues are also very nice and for gods sake there are two cool underwater ones called Undersea and Ocean Bed...

i think the name and the Sonaura logo are totally brilliant. unfortunately very obscure and seldom seen...

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Rhythm- ... se/5438550

Not much is known or catalogued about American libraries, and I so seldom see them in the wild. I've listened to about 200 different ones over the years, and out of those 199 can politely be described as god awful. So bad, with boring thoughtless covers too. Haven't seen that Sonaura label before though!
texasvinyl wrote:Not much is known or catalogued about American libraries, and I so seldom see them in the wild. I've listened to about 200 different ones over the years, and out of those 199 can politely be described as god awful. So bad, with boring thoughtless covers too. Haven't seen that Sonaura label before though!
hats off and congratulations, sir. you are a sophisticated digger! in the past 20 years i did not have the chance to listen to 200 of them in total...
mr. Dollarhyde mentioned a De Wolfe comp in this thread earlier. there is one tune by Sam Spence, a american composer whos work can be found on US library mainly. this record seems to be his only library released in the UK and it is revolutionary. crazy electronic experiments and you can hear how much fun he had creating this music. there is a Sam Spence release on Finders Keepers, too. from a short look at the track list i think most of the tunes come from this particular De Wolf release.
there are two mindmelting underwater cues called Sunken Ship and Sunken Ship Version 2 and they are exactly what you're after, haha! unfortunately i could not find Version 2 on youtube as this is the one that i prefer.

thanks @Dollarhyde for hooking me up with this. just found a reasonable copy...

https://www.discogs.com/Sam-Spence-The- ... se/2776572

milliondollars wrote:
texasvinyl wrote:Not much is known or catalogued about American libraries, and I so seldom see them in the wild. I've listened to about 200 different ones over the years, and out of those 199 can politely be described as god awful. So bad, with boring thoughtless covers too. Haven't seen that Sonaura label before though!
hats off and congratulations, sir. you are a sophisticated digger! in the past 20 years i did not have the chance to listen to 200 of them in total...
It was all at once! Local shop had a huge haul of stuff. I think they were all on only two labels that must have been quantity over quality.... I listened to them all on the store's preview deck thinking surely there must be a diamond in the rough. Other than that I probably only see one or two a year in the wild. I wonder if they turn up more often in new york or LA
texasvinyl wrote:I wonder if they turn up more often in new york or LA
I have picked up a few US library albums at Amoeba in LA. This would make sense given the local industry. I agree with @texas though, most of the ones I have heard are really cheesy with maybe one or two decent cuts. I posted a few of them in the library thread last year. This Sonaura label looks nice, although i'm not finding any additional information other than what's on discogs.
over the weekend i took a closer look at the Selected Sound catalogue and have found several underwater related stuff. will try to show all of it in this thread...

this is a very interesting electronic library composed by the gread Roland Kovac who made a significant mark in the Selected Sound catalogue. i think all of his records are high class and his versatility is highly underrated. number 80 with the title Computer says it is suitable for crime, sports, machines and modern art on the back cover. there are four cues on this record that are tagged as subaquatic: Computer, Stray Sinus, Diagnostic and Binary Lapsus
for some you need to do a little drugs to be able to imagine why but all in all a great experimental record...

https://www.discogs.com/Roland-Kovac-Co ... se/1527976

Relevant to this sub-aquatic thread - it's my birthday fast approaching, and usually I drag everyone out to see a movie or two. We've been blessed with some crackers over the years - from Inland Empire to The Shining, Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus, Under The Skin, Grand Budapest Hotel, and last year The Witch and High Rise!

But there's a complete drought on decent films this year during my birthday week. So I've decided to go to an exhibition of work by the great French surrealist photographer/filmmaker Jean Painleve. He's famous for his amazing Sea Horse film amongst many others. And then a visit to the Sea Life Centre! So I may just have a trawl through this forum in the run up and get stuck into some of this watery library malarky that I usually don't pay too much attention too if I'm honest - my collecting life is bad enough without 'essential' libraries being on my radar too! ;)

Blub blub, fellow Pisceans. Get down with your bad selves.

Anyhoo - here's a video of Zombie Zombie doing a live score to Painleve's films.

@ScoJo: i love how your birthday is relevant to this thread, haha! you have really good plans. this is actually a great idea. celebrated my birthday (two weeks ago) in Sea Life myself. i went with my kids and we had lots of fun wearing submarine goggles and all that. my wife suggested i should DJ at the place one day...so it became my secret subaquatic dream...

***edit***
that Zombie Zombie is a great submission to this thread by the way...
Last edited by milliondollars on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
next Selected Sound one i have investigated is the Bilder Aus Wissenschaft (Pictures Of Science) by Gerhard Trede who has done a load of experimental stuff for the label. really dig most of the ones that i have heard.

Pictures Of Science is suggested for industry, architecture, laboratory, microbiology, insects, computers, statistics, space, evolution and archeology. many of the cues are tagged as mysterious and spacey but none of them as underwater on the describtion of the back cover. but if you don't hear the subaqutic vibes on #5, #9, #10, #15 and especially on #19 you are most probably a dead fish floating belly up on the water's surface and should leave this thread...

pick the record up, is't cheap and good!

https://www.discogs.com/Gerhard-Trede-B ... se/1410071

there are two volumes dealing with the elements like fire, water and air made by Klaus Netzle (under his pseudonym Claude Larson). he is a german synth pioneer and has a crazy library output spread over the Selected Sound and Sonoton labels and i believe he has a solid fanbase in europe. he was often dealing with space abstractions, enviroment and globalization and i was always wondering where his contribution to the underwater subject was. finally i found it on this first volume of Elements Dynamic Meditations. this ambient style record is hard to describe and Netzle dedicates about 12-14 minutes to every element. although it is not meant to be all-subaquatic, the Water composition is the relevant one of course! you can hear the typical underwater vibes in some parts. all in all i enjoy this records and you can hear that Netzle has tried hard to make the music match the element. if you close your eyes and have a little imaginative power you can tell what element you are listening to, without knowing the compositions title...

https://www.discogs.com/Claude-Larson-E ... ase/613768

milliondollars wrote:this one is totally amazing! Dominique Guiot contributed to the french library scene from the late 70s to late 80s. i don't know much of his other stuff but i can certainly claim, that this record is his masterpiece. it was released on the obscure Chicago 2000 label and later on Auvidis. is fairly easy to find and cheap, too...

many people claim this is one of the best libraries ever. you can listen to the full thing on youtube to get that underwater feeling, haha!

https://www.discogs.com/Dominique-Guiot ... se/1399013

go & grab it if you like it...but be quick!

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DOMINIQUE-GUIOT- ... SwCU1Yv8dA