General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By horrornasties
Anyone know of any recommendations for lathe cut records. As far as where to get them cut? Got a project I'm working on and need just a few copies so this is the route I want to go, but don't know who the trust. Anyone know a good place? Any recommendations would be cool! Thanks.
By texasvinyl
www.meeprecords.com

Can't vouch for the quality. I don't know much about lathe cut records, I assume they all sound like shit though, more or less. The meep guy did the Donald Trump "grab them by the pussy" lathe cut 7" I got. It sounds horrible, but at least part of the reason was the very poor quality of the source audio.
By lazyben
Phil at 3.45rpm is the man although he is in the UK (you appear to be in LA, as am I). Sound quality is much better than regular lathe cut. I have nearly a hundred 7s he's cut. These are black wax and would pass for regular records.

http://www.345rpm.co.uk/

Peter King in NZ is fairly legendary. These are the clear polycarbonate sort, sound quality is a bit hit and miss compared to 3.45 but I have dozens of these

http://peterkinglathecutrecords.co.nz/info.htm

I also have a godawful flaming lips 4 sided?!?!? lathe cut that appears to have been made by Lathecuts.com but they appear to not do small runs any more.

I do have a bunch of other lathe cuts but no idea who made them.
By horrornasties
@texasvinyl @lazyben thanks fellas I'll look into these ones. Don't know if shipping from out of the country is something I want to do, but oh well. Cheers!
By Mateo Sanboval
More importantly, horrornasties, what are you going to press -er- cut?
By horrornasties
@mateo I don't see why that is important. But if you must know it's two gag songs I recorded with some friends.
By Mateo Sanboval
horrornasties wrote:@mateo I don't see why that is important. But if you must know it's two gag songs I recorded with some friends.
Haha! Sorry to intrude, old son. Didn't mean to pry. Sounds like a hoot. As you were.
By vi_resmusic
I had a couple of my tracks lathe cut to disappointing results,even after following mastering guidelines the initial buzz of having my music on vinyl wore off quickly.
I had it re cut but the second cut was worse than the first.
It's not cheap either,squashed plans to sell copies.
I must admit that there are probably better services available as the one I used has since closed.
Cassettes are good,cd's are too.