General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By milliondollars
so i watched it again and every time i see it i'm like: damn, i need that score so bad!

does a definitive version on vinyl exist? can anyone recommend a pressing?
By Pain_Bubbles
I own the original 1958 mono release, the 1977 Mercury "golden imports" stereo and the Doxy bootleg from the "Alfred Hitchcock's movie soundtracks" Box.

The 1958 Decca has been a collector's item since forever, and a good copy will set you back a pretty penny.
The sound quality on this is o.k., it's a bit dated: Mono, mid-centric sounding, cut very hot and the pressing , and is a bit noisy.
(I got a sealed NOS copy for my birthday a few years ago, so my copy isn't worn or damaged)
It is also a very risky buy: a lot of 1950's record's have been played on very primitive turntables with saphire stlyii tracking at 10 grams; They often look fine but in a lot of cases they are completely ruined/worn. (Never buy a visually graded 1950's record)

The 1977 Mercury "golden imports" sounds fantastic, the pressing quality is great, it's stereo, and it costs a fraction of the 1958 Mono.

The Doxy sounds o.k. but it's probably just a Cd-rip.

Unless you are a diehard collector/fan/completist I'd say it's an easy choice: Track down a M- copy of the 1977 mercury "Golden imports"

A non-vinyl tip is the CD tat came with Douglas Gordon's book "Feature Film".
The book is a useless art-book with blurry photograps of the conductor's hands, but the CD is a magnificent re-recording by James Conlon. (Be careful when buying this, always ask if the CD is still inside before buying)
Last edited by Pain_Bubbles on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
By deafmetal
@Pain_Bubbles - Great info. Have you ever heard the '76 Mercury Japan pressing? I had my eye on a copy of that recently.
By static14
The golden imports pressing does sound quite nice.

I sold my copy though when i got the doxy hitchcock box. That version is expanded spread over three sides. You Also get an expanded version of NBNW and the score for The Wrong Man

That'd be my recommendation if you can find it.
By Pain_Bubbles
static14 wrote:The golden imports pressing does sound quite nice.

I sold my copy though when i got the doxy hitchcock box. That version is expanded spread over three sides. You Also get an expanded version on NBNW and the score for The Wrong Man

That'd be my recommendation if you can find it.
You are right, forgot about that.

The Doxy 's Source is the extended 1996-ish Varese CD. There are some issues with some of the tracks on that CD though: By this time the original master tapes had deteriorated considerably and even after restoration some audible artifacts remain.

I have not heard the Japan pressing , but the regular 1977 Mercury is so cheap and so good that I can't imagine going for the Japan pressing has any benefits.

I also mistakenly attributed the 1958 mono to Decca, which I corrected. (Also Mercury ofcourse)
By milliondollars
thanks a lot for the information, especially @Pain_Bubbles

so cool to read about you knowledge. will try to get myself the 77' Mercury pressing then.

would be great to have this on expanded 2LP sourced from masters but as usual, this is a dream that will probably never come true :(