General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
I started this because I have a Discogs related query and I didn't want to pollute the Ebay/Discogs Heads Up thread with non-hot-sweet-deals chatter.

So, how often do you ask for pictures when purchasing something on Discogs and how often is that request fulfilled properly? Or vice-versa when you are selling. Perhaps, for some, frequency isn't the right unit of measure; is there then a monetary cutoff for you? For example, if something costs less than $50, do you not bother with pics as long as the seller appears reputable?
By monsterworship
i have requested pictures about 3 times in the last few years, always when the listing says "request photos".
and they have never sent me photos for any of those requests.
discogs should update their site to allow for photos on the listings.

i throw caution to the wind otherwise.
By chandler75
I have sold a lot of records (and hundreds of CDs), but no one has ever requested photos, though often they have asked if the condition is as stated.
By Aremagod
I never ask for pictures as I only deal with positive rep people and hope they were accurate enough in their descriptions.
By deafmetal
I usually ask for photos and audio clips for expensive vintage LP's. I believe around the $100+ mark is where that kicks in for me. I'm willing to accept the risk from a reputable seller for less expensive items.
By djwatson23
Hi,
This is my first official post but have been lurking on the board for the last year so hello officially!
As a seller with the same username on discogs for the last 9 years, I have sold to a handful of board members here.

I thought it would be good to get a seller's perspective on this issue. As a seller, I do not mind sending photos or audio clips regardless of dollar amount. My factor is time. Along with a full time job, spouse/kid/dogs/etc, I sell on discogs. Depending on the scenario, if it's an expensive title or repeat customer, I try to respond quickly. I have informed buyers that I will take pics but if it's a particularly busy day orders wise, the message can get lost in the shuffle. In that scenario, if they happen to message again, I almost always respond immediately.

So I would advise a buyer to message a seller again if no response is received. I've done it when I've purchased on the site and it usually works.
I get anywhere from 5-10 a day usually so I can only imagine a seller with 10 times my inventory...
By Mateo Sanboval
What's happening, DJWatson23! Welcome aboard. Thanks to you and other folks in here for the responses. Hopefully we'll get some more throughout the day. I tend to align most so far with Deafmetal on this one. I usually ask for pics, especially when there is a language barrier between myself and the seller around or over the $100 mark. I did this recently for an album advertised as NM/NM that was just over $100 before shipping and I was very glad I did. I had asked a few questions first and the responses were what I wanted to hear, but I asked for shots anyway. The seller was gracious and accommodating and while the record looked NM, gorgeous really, the sleeve, inner, and obi were VG at best. Now I can be a hard marker especially when I'm laying out my own lettuce, but I was surprised at the disparity between what I think of as NM and what these pictures showed. It saved me a lot of disappointment in the end.
By Mateo Sanboval
monsterworship wrote:But the question is do you still buy it anyway?
Exactly so. I've sent a politely-worded missive in regards to the disparity in our perceptions and will wait to hear back. Truthfully, though, I may simply wait to find a better conditioned non-Japanese copy.
By Bezulsqy
I only once asked for a pic once (Waxwork Rosemary's Baby red and blue variant) because I wanted to know if the color of one side bled into color on the other side. I did a little bit but not too much so I bought it anyway.
For all the other purchases I just go by seller feedback. And that worked so far for me.
I did miss buying a record because I wanted to know more about the shipping costs, after two days of not getting a response I send a reminder and an hour later the record was sold. That sucked.
Can you place an order with questions about the item and decide to not go through with the sale if the answers are not satisfactory?
I have the feeling that for rare items you just have to order them, because I you don't and wait for a reply someone else might have scooped it up.
Or is there a better way to go around this?
By djwatson23
Bezulsqy wrote: Can you place an order with questions about the item and decide to not go through with the sale if the answers are not satisfactory?
I have the feeling that for rare items you just have to order them, because I you don't and wait for a reply someone else might have scooped it up.
Or is there a better way to go around this?
I believe it's a case by case basis and it varies with each seller. I would be understanding but a new seller might not...it all depends. In your rare record scenario, as the buyer I would order the record and add in the comments section 'pending confirmation of condition' or something like that. Then probably message the seller too. If it isn't rare, just message the seller w/o ordering.
By texasvinyl
Discogs just pulled about a half dozen various bootlegs I had listed for sale. Nothing counterfeit, but stuff like old concert boots, Iron Maiden, Metallica etc. Looks like they are cracking down on listing that kind of stuff, wonder what caused it.
By Mateo Sanboval
Interesting, Tex. I wonder if they are only pulling boots of more litigious acts and/or labels.
By reddye6
Speaking of Discogs, anyone else get an offer from a Discogs user wanting to buy the Troll 2 soundtrack off of them? I got offered $150.
By deafmetal
reddye6 wrote:Speaking of Discogs, anyone else get an offer from a Discogs user wanting to buy the Troll 2 soundtrack off of them? I got offered $150.
don't cave, hold the gold

lol
By reddye6
deafmetal wrote:
reddye6 wrote:Speaking of Discogs, anyone else get an offer from a Discogs user wanting to buy the Troll 2 soundtrack off of them? I got offered $150.
don't cave, hold the gold

lol
My mental response has been, mine mine mine. I'm not sure if that's a reasonable response; this is Troll 2 that we're talking about.
By inksb
I've never asked for photos but I did buy Queen Millennia on there recently, it was listed at $9 with some slight water damage to the sleeve and obi strip but the record was listed as VG+, no visible scratches. I bought it and the guy sent me a video showing all of the damage and slight surface scuffs (he discovered these after the listing and wanted to bring them to my attention) before sending me the invoice just to make sure I still wanted it. I couldn't' believe it, the guy was super kind and courteous providing well above and beyond what I expect from a seller on there. It was awesome.
By texasvinyl
https://www.discogs.com/user/discogs/lists?header=1

either the list isn't properly generating or there has been a big reduction in high dollar record sales. In November '21 there was only one record under $2,000 out of 30. December & January only the top 10 were over $2,000. In February only one over $1,000. In March only one record over $500. Seems unusual, ebay still going strong with the $1,500-$3,000+ blue note auctions.
By monsterworship
texasvinyl wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:27 pm https://www.discogs.com/user/discogs/lists?header=1

either the list isn't properly generating or there has been a big reduction in high dollar record sales. In November '21 there was only one record under $2,000 out of 30. December & January only the top 10 were over $2,000. In February only one over $1,000. In March only one record over $500. Seems unusual, ebay still going strong with the $1,500-$3,000+ blue note auctions.
That list doesn't make sense.

I always look at the blog one: https://blog.discogs.com/en/top-30-most ... arch-2022/ there are plenty of crazy priced things that have sold.