General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By monsterworship
What record shops are left in New York City?

Black Gold in Brooklyn
Captured Tracks
Vinyl Fantasy
Human Head Records
Academy Records Annex
EAR WAX

Academy Records
Bleecker Street Records (Is this any good?)
Generation Records (Is this any good?)

OTHER MUSIC - closed
By The Cult Leader
Bleeker St records probably have the biggest selection of used vinyl. I go through their stuff every once and while, but never find anything really good.

For anything new I usally hit up Rough Trade in BK.
By Hatter313
Second hand rose's on 12th has a HUGE soundtrack section, but they close early so go during the day.

Bleeker street is right by my office so i pop in there a lot, but to cult's point i don't ever find a ton of stuff.

Theres a spot a block south of where other music was called Living Stereo that's more of a hi fi shop, but it has a small record store with a bunch of used bins upstairs.

Generation is/was a great place, but they can be really hit or miss depending on genre and format. as vinyl surges back up, I think they are adapting, but it was a small selection last time I was in there.
By Hatter313
forbidden planet over there too.
By monsterworship
Second hand Rose might be the most expensive (overpriced) record store I've ever been to.
They had a couple kraut gems but every record that I saw was 3 to 4x the high range of discogs.
By Hatter313
Yeah, like I said yesterday, the record store game isn't great in Manhattan these days
By monsterworship
Here is what I hit up:
Roses - see above
Academy Records - had some ok metal records

Bleecker Street Records - so many wall records of bands I never Heard of, mostly jazz soul? No rock or metal stuff. Had a few older ost on the wall for $100 that I see in dollar bins at home.

Academy Records Annex in Brooklyn is great with lots of rock, kraut and goth, shoegaze stuff

Captured Tracks has some decent stuff got a popul Vuh - tantric songs and a Can record

Record Grouch - great for used punk/hc/indie stuff they have a newer ost section

I was on my way to heaven st records but ran out of time.
By monsterworship
a friend was there this weekend and he swears by Human Head in Brooklyn.

I stand by this tour in greenpoint, as they are all in walking distance of each other:

1. Academy Records Annex (large store)
2. Captured Tracks - a basement store but decent stuff
3. Record Grouch - great for used punk/hc/indie stuff they have a newer ost section
By monsterworship
jgibbs4053 wrote:Going to NYC this weekend any other suggestions than listed above?

also i'm pretty sure all that are mentioned here are ALL the stores in nyc.
By subwayslim
Human Head in Brooklyn has great stuff coming in all the time I'm lucky to live in the neighborhood. Nice prices, hard to find gems and sometimes free beer.
Captured Tracks is small but cool, it's in the basement of a random street. They carry lots of Flying Nun records.
Co-Op 87 Records is the hidden gem in Brooklyn. Tiny store but stuff everywhere; you can spend much time here and find great deals (always find a soundtrack or two). First time I heard of Death Waltz was a poster they had signed for the original Zombie Flesh Eaters pressing.
By Hatter313
I'm not sure where bleeker street records went, from the sign on the empty storefront last week it looks like they merged with generation.
By Mateo Sanboval
subwayslim wrote:Human Head in Brooklyn has great stuff coming in all the time I'm lucky to live in the neighborhood. Nice prices, hard to find gems and sometimes free beer.
Captured Tracks is small but cool, it's in the basement of a random street. They carry lots of Flying Nun records.
Co-Op 87 Records is the hidden gem in Brooklyn. Tiny store but stuff everywhere; you can spend much time here and find great deals (always find a soundtrack or two). First time I heard of Death Waltz was a poster they had signed for the original Zombie Flesh Eaters pressing.
I can third the Human Head recommends. I have a few Brooklyn based friends and they all speak highly of that store.

PS - Welcome to STBC, subwayslim.