General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Not sure which thread this should sit in so hope no one will mind my asking direct...

Have an issue with my current set up that has suddenly developed out of nowhere - and thought some of the knowledgeable folk on here might know the problem and possible solution?

It's a Technics SL-1210 MKII turntable plugged into a Technics SU-X950 integrated amp.

Between flipping one side of a record over to the other a couple weeks back, I noticed the sound had suddenly dropped out, or at least the volume dropped very low.

A delve around the back of the set up revealed the earth lead running from deck to amp was a little loose so I tightened it and that seemed to do the trick - volume restored.

Problem is, between then and now the sound has dropped low 2 or three times since - between changing sides again, which seems odd. It's never in the middle of a track or side. Again a fiddle with the earth lead has seemingly righted it, but it keeps happening intermittently without my touching anything.

Scratching my head... Am probably asking something foolish, but any ideas? Cheers in advance!
I recommend a process of elimination in these situations. It's usually difficult to say if it's the turntable or the amp causing the issue. If you have a spare of either to test out, then start with that.

Personally, I have had many more issues with faulty mixers and preamps than I have had with my Tech 1200's.
Over the years sl-1200's have a tendency to build up oxidization on the headshell contacts and the pins inside the collar of the arm tube.

grab some de-oxit and a couple of qtips and give the pins and contacts on the stub end of the headshell a good cleaning.

As you clean the pins be sure to work them in and out a bit as well to make sure the springs behind the pins get a bit of a cleaning also.