General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

The Cult Leader wrote:9th gate isn't going to be a problem, I read somewhere that they pressed 10,000 copies. Pretty sure US stores will have them in stock.
I thought it was limited to 1000? still will probably be ok and hopefully if nothing else I can pick it up from LITA the week after or whenever they can put remainders up.
frozeneyeball wrote:Anyone able to shed any light on the Judgement Night OST? Is it any good?
This was also released by Music on Vinyl, I think, quite recently. Are we really making a deal out of 'first time ever on COLOURED vinyl' now?

My usual RSD mentality goes (1) underwhelmed, only 3 or 4 things I want, (2) want a few things, then (3) want loads of things by the day itself. This year there's not anything I can see that would get me queuing outside my local at 6am. Requiem and The Ninth Gate interest me, but I'm not sure I NEED them on vinyl. I'll be quite glad if I don't change my mind about this - I can do without the extra spending, with the amount of recent and upcoming releases I want.
frozeneyeball wrote:Anyone able to shed any light on the Judgement Night OST? Is it any good?
It's a landmark yet largely forgotten 90's soundtrack full of outrageously famous grunge and metal acts paired up with high-charting hip hop groups. But for exactly that reason, it's an acquired taste. If you're into those bands, early rock and hip hop collaborations, or that era of music, then don't hesitate. If not, do not. Youtube has nearly every track available for sampling purposes. I would, however, recommend the MOV pressing from a few years back as it sounds very good. I picked one up in the USA for about $25.

PS - What Chief said.
Count me among those who like the new RFAD art. A lot. A welcome change from artwork that frankly never moved the needle for me even a little. I'm interested in all the same stuff as youse guys, I believe, but I will probably only pick up two or three LPs when it is all said and done.

EDIT: I just noticed the Giant Sand box set sooooo...yeah. I'll be having that.
By ScoJo
The Goblin LP for sure.
And the Jean Claude Vannier 'alternate versions' of L'enfant Assassin... LP on Finders Keepers. I love the original LP sooo damn much.
Plus Ninth Gate and Requiem. The latter of whose sleeve art just doesn't work for me, even though I like it just fine as an image. But as a fit for that film?? C'mon, this is one of the darkest, plunge you to the heart of hell movies out there, and that sleeve looks like a jaunty jazz funk library comp! I guess I can see a certain classy 'new classical' vibe to it, which speaks of the music...but it sure dont conjure dat flick!! ;-)
ScoJo wrote:The Goblin LP for sure.
And the Jean Claude Vannier 'alternate versions' of L'enfant Assassin... LP on Finders Keepers. I love the original LP sooo damn much.
Plus Ninth Gate and Requiem. The latter of whose sleeve art just doesn't work for me, even though I like it just fine as an image. But as a fit for that film?? C'mon, this is one of the darkest, plunge you to the heart of hell movies out there, and that sleeve looks like a jaunty jazz funk library comp! I guess I can see a certain classy 'new classical' vibe to it, which speaks of the music...but it sure dont conjure dat flick!! ;-)
Agreed on Vannier wholeheartedly. Hopefully some of these eventually make their way Stateside. As previously stated, I really like the RFAD art, but in my -ahem- defense, I've never seen the film.
People queue up overnight for RSD? Wow. I use record store day as an excuse to drag my family out to support the local store, but we never make it there until almost mid-day. Is there really that much of a demand for "sold out" items that they are impossible to find secondhand, or do they get flipped to insane prices?
deafmetal wrote:People queue up overnight for RSD? Wow. I use record store day as an excuse to drag my family out to support the local store, but we never make it there until almost mid-day. Is there really that much of a demand for "sold out" items that they are impossible to find secondhand, or do they get flipped to insane prices?
Um, Hello Kitty 12"/700000000000000000000 much?
monsterworship wrote:personally i enjoy queuing up for record store day, its a chance to chat with some friends, and a joy to experience so many people with horrible taste in music (ie phish & dead fans) :)
shudder....jam bands in general just don't do it for me.
I'll be ordering all the Sonor releases from the comfort of my bed. I'd like the Sven re-issue but it's not worth the hassle to get to my local (admittedly excellent) record store by silly o'clock. I'll pick it up online afterwards no doubt for a few pounds more.
There are a couple of nice releases on this year's list but it get's me down at the amount of re-hashed stuff that is being released. Seems uninspired. I'm all for RSD but it would be nice for it to be purely about stuff that you would not get and will not get at any other point of the year, decade, century etc...not just a 'special coloured vinyl pressing of an album that came out 6 months ago etc'.
01. Copkiller
02. In pieno petto
03. Il trio infernale
04. Oltre il silenzio
05. Evaporazion
06. Orazione
07. Corleone
08. Passeggiata notturna
09. Assassinio sul lago
10. Barbablù (caccia)
11. Qui ci scappa Il morto
12. The bum (Il barbone)
13. Diario di un pazzo
By blastman
It's gimmicky, I know, but the Spacelab9 release of The Blacklist for RSD looks very cool (it comes with a booklet styled as a dossier with lots of redacted information that you can read by placing the vinyl over it). I love the show, so I might try to pick this one up somewhere.