General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Tron4Life wrote:
334578rpm wrote:I saw the DFC twitter account mentioned Ninth Gate is going to be delayed.
Yeah, couple of MONTHS.
That's a good thing....no worrying about dealing with the RSD crowd.
334578rpm wrote:I saw the DFC twitter account mentioned Ninth Gate is going to be delayed.
Here's a fucking stunning notion: Since it'll miss RSD anyway, how about dialing down the Hot Topic gimmickry and pressing it on BLACK VINYL while you're at it? Might even hasten the process not to mention sound better, God forbid.
The Cult Leader wrote:Image
This release has been available to preorder for at least a month at transmission records. I find it a bit strange to see it marketed as an RSD release. Rustbalde themselves also have it available as a preorder: http://www.rustblade.com/2016/paura-a-c ... cks-vinyl/

And about the delay of the Ninth Gate. Is the state of record pressing now so bad the the delay caused by RSD for other releases is affecting the RSD releases as well? I am wondering how long this is going to keep on.
I don't care if anything and everything is released on vinyl. Just stop with trying to release that much on one day and spread it across the year.
I'm also glad, RSD has mostly turned into the antithesis of what it was supposed to be. Decentralized would be better, just a day where stores do cool things and maybe do their own releases. For example Josey records is putting out a sampler LP of local artists. I've anecdotally heard stores can't get the really desirable stuff (not that there's much of it this year) unless they put in big orders for all the garbage that sits on shelves rotting for years.

Plus the stores can't return unsold RSD merch. 100% of the risk is on the struggling record shops--just what they need, right? That leaves the big labels to fling shit against the wall and see what sticks, and who cares if the store can't sell it.

Atreyu "greatest hits"
The Animals
Bee Gees
Justin Bieber picture disc
No less than three David Bowie releases
Buddy Guy
Johnny Cash (multiple releases)
Cheap Trick
Coltrane
Miles Davis
More J Dilla (can you hear that cash register clanging?)
Two Doors releases
More Bob Dylan
Bill Evans
Yet another Flaming Lips box set
Dizzy Gillespie
Yet another Grateful Dead box set
Another Etta James reissue
Another James Brown reissue
Two more Kinks releases
Lil' Wayne trash
A Madonna "hits" 12"
Thelonious Monk
The Monkees box set. Plus a pic disc.
Moody Blues
alanis Morisette demos
Oscar Peterson
Notorious BIG single
Outkast single
Elvis LP
A Run the Jewels "virtual reality viewer"
Sex Pistols Nevermind the Bollocks
Skrillex + Diplo + Justin Bieber - diarrhea in my mouth single
Tom Petty
Disney "favorite songs" compilation
Muddy Waters
Vitamin String Quartets mandatory RSD release
Willie Nelson
A Hello Kitty picture disc
Turtles "happy together" single
A CCR box set
A Jimi Hendrix hits reissue
More Cheap Trick
Linkin Park
Metallica
Mandatory Phish RSD release
Rockabye Baby mandatory RSD lullabye release
Mandatory Frank Zappa RSD release

I fail to understand how any of this helps indie record labels or record stores. It's mostly big label stuff -- Warner et al's back catalog heavy hitters. It's like they took a once cool thing and drove it off a cliff.

Sorry for the negative ranty post. I might go to a store after the lines clear out and look for Requiem for a Dream. I will probably stay home though. I go to my local record shops on a regular routine basis year round. All I get from Record Store Day now is hassle. I think more should be done to make every day "Record Store Day" and ditch the official events.
I just attempted to write a big long reply and deleted it because it probably just got incoherent and in the ned bashing the RSD list is everyone's favorite sport so what's the point. Brief version, and this is not aimed at anyone specifically.
While i agree there are tons of issues with RSD, if you are not a record store owner, i will never understand complaining about things you don't like being released. It's a funny thing, different people like different things. If it gets people in the stores, thank it's doing what it's supposed to. People can mock all they want, but hello kitty will drive more new customers to record stores than any soundtrack we may like will (excluding star wars of course)
I don't like Zappa, but I hope the people who love him enjoy their records, i'm going to walk by and pick up my Buddy Guy album and hopefully they'll have a few of the OSTs i want as well.

And for people who look at a list of hundreds of releases and say "There's nothing at all I'm interested in" I either seriously envy your massive collection or feel sad for you for having such a narrow focus. Even in our tiny little niche I think there's 8 OSTs i may go for, and this is my smalles want list every.

Now if we want to complain about lines/availability/prices, etc, I'm right there with people.
By Bezulsqy
You can look at record store day from a lot of different perspectives as seen in the posts above. I do think it is a very fair point that RSD as a marketing tool to help the smaller shops isn't working that great as when it started. Then again one can wonder what the impact is of RSD in starting this vinyl revival. When I started collecting again three years ago RSD did trigger me in buying new stuff.
The biggest problem I have now is the way plants are backed up because of the enormous amount of releases being pressed. Is this the fault of RSD? Or was this inevitable with vinyl sales rising? I love to blame RSD :-)
RSD is a good idea that has gotten popular enough to become commandeered by larger labels. Its success, and vinyl's in general (the two are intrinsically linked), made this outcome inevitable. For the past few years, I usually wait on RSD releases and pay a little more, or a lot less, than their MSRP a few months down the road. Funnily enough, I will be going to a relatively local record store this year as they are offering a huge % off new, non RSD vinyl. They have several albums that I want and will probably grab that day to take advantage of the sale discount.
That sounds like a wise choice @mateo.

I wasn't blown away by the list to start with, but the prices will mean I won't be going this year.

Cipriani 10" £22
Goblin 7" £15

I'll see if I can pick them up down the road at a cheaper price. As long as it's not super limited or popular, that's usually the case (e.g. Big Bad Wolves is available at an 85% discount vs what I paid). If not, there are plenty of releases that haven't been overpriced based upon their release date that I can spend my money on. I support record stores on a regular basis so I don't feel the need to buy records with inflated prices anymore.

I will miss the camaraderie of queuing for hours, but the actual experience of buying records that way on RSD leaves me a bit cold (here's my list, no browsing, get out asap).
Have mixed feelings about Record Store Day - like most here it seems....

On the positive it is what got me (back) into buying vinyl and re-ignited my enthusiasm.

For the past few years I've got up at 6.30am and joined the queue at Banquet Records in Kingston. Unlike (most) central London stores they actually have the RSD records in the racks, so it's more of a (real) browsing experience once you make it inside - after queuing for 2-3 hours on the day typically

This year prior family engagements mean that I can't make it down, but the fact that our favourite labels (with the exception of AMS etc) aren't putting out special releases makes missing the fun of the day less of the pain it would otherwise be.

Plus, as others have said, when you're buying the (just as limited) records you want throughout the year anyway (rather than waiting for one big splurge) that also makes it less of an issue. I'm very glad it's brought vinyl back to prominence though and allowed me to get my hands on pressings that otherwise (probably) wouldn't have happened.... even if it has drained my bank account! ;)
Last edited by Spun out of control on Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.