General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By monsterworship
Anyone have experience with an Ortofon 2M red?

I am currently using a Shure 97xe in a Denon 300dpf,

Wondering to spend $42 on a replacement shure stylus , or try a new cartridge such as the Ortofon
By NMA
Shure 97xE and Audio Technica AT95e have always been my favorites.

They perform well with my amplifier, so I never looked for more expensive alternatives.
By texasvinyl
I use Shure M44G. It's marketed as a "club DJ" cart but I find it to be versatile and good for general listening. The sound is good, it tracks well, the recommended tracking force is 1.5g, and if you get the DJ itch you can backcue without excess wear. Replacement stylus are readily available, and the price is about $45 for a cartridge. The files I ripped were from that cart, which probably needs a new stylus soon.

Someone with an audiophile setup and without any inclination to mix will want different or more, but m44g suits my "mixed use" needs rather nicely. I also hear good things about both of NMA's recommendations, but you can't backcue with those needles. Shure M44-7 for a DJ scratch needle.

I also like the integrated carts. I have some Stanton Discmaster V3 that I really enjoyed, but replacement stylus are not available. The integrated stuff costs more too, and the wiring went bad in one of mine which couldn't be fixed.
By Pain_Bubbles
The Shure m44g isa great cartridge, light tracking conical, minimal record wear, great tonal balance.
One caveat: shure's quality control has suffered lately, many reports about poor tracking ability or channel imbalance in individual cartrdiges, so make s(h)ure to test your cartridge and any spare stylii you buy , so you can return the bad ones while you still can. (I also had to return one that would distort at the mere thought of a crescendo, the replacement was much better)