General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Occhionero
I will spent two days in Stockholm (monday and tuesday). I am not sure to have time (I have to work there), but if:

Can you recommend record stores for Soundtracks in Stockholm?

Thanks in advance

Frank
By thewaystation
Stockholm is a good place for record shopping, so hopefully your schedule will allow for some digging. - While I'm not too keen on the stores (and prices) for new releases here, it's a great place to pick up used vinyl.

Two areas stand out:

1) Sankt Eriksgatan (in Vasastan)
- Nostalgipalatset (the biggest store for used vinyl, apparently in all of Scandinavia). Has a massive soundtrack section. Only few new releases, and none from the labels on this board. Linked to it is another good store, Trash Palace, which has a good selection of Metal, Punk, Hardcore, incl. usually some Scandinavian black metal ogs.
- Record Hunter. Only a small soundtrack selection but a good store overall. Almost entirely used records. Next doors is the excellent, and (for Stockholm) uncharacteristically down-to-earth Café seg70.
- opposite of Record Hunter there are two more stores, one of which in a smelly cellar with rock bottom prices and with hardly any order to their stock.
- Atlas cd Börs: a few doors away from Record Hunter. Focus on used records, decent overall selection but for some reason I've never picked up anything there.
- also close by: Runtrunt (Easy Listening, Soul)
- two or three bus stops away, right opposite the marvellous Stadsbiblioteket: Stockholms Serie och Skivbörs. Not too many soundtracks but good for used metal, their bargain bin, dvds and comics.

2) Södermalm
- Record Mania. The most carefully 'curated' store in town. All their stock is online, with sound samples. Doesn't even have a stand-alone soundtrack section, but plenty of good records to be found. Not cheap, but for what it is, their used records are never overpriced. Mosebacke Torg, which is 10 metres away, is a lovely part of Stockholm, by the way.
- An Ideal for Living. Doesn't even look like a proper record store from the outside, more like a retro furniture store, but there's an excellent record store in the basement. Some new records, and the best selection in town when it comes to the labels represented in this forum. The soundtrack section is downstairs, to your left. They are closed on Tuesdays.
- Pet Sounds. Probably the store most people will point you towards but for me this has always been a rather middle-of-the-road indie record store. They do have a used section, though, and it's close to An Ideal for Living. Fade records across the street is a nice little store for hiphop/dance.

Other places worth mentioning, all in various corners of Södermalm:
- Mickes, in the Hornstull area. Actually two stores opposite of each other. Huge selection of used vinyl, including soundtracks (in a small room at the back of the bigger store). Hard to find anything special though.
- Larry's Corner. Idiosyncratic store. The kind that has events on cassette store day. Might be closed on Mon, Tue.
- Kollaps Records. IDM, Synth, Industrial, mostly new but also used. Has moved to Wollmar Yxkullsgatan recently. Should now be close to an excellent, if slightly hipster-ish, café, Drop Café.

So that's that. Top places to check out, imho: Nostalgipalatset, An Ideal for Living, Record Mania. If you've only got time for one it should probably be Nostalgipalatset. Record Mania is the only store with a decent website that allows you to search their stock.

If you're still around on Tuesday afternoon / evening and would be up for coffee / beer get in touch. Wir können auch Deutsch sprechen, ich bin erst seit zwei Jahren hier. ;)
By Occhionero
Thta"s perfect! ...oder: vielen Dank. Ich muss Di nachmittag schon wieder zurück fliegen. So, beer/coffee the next time....

That's why I love this forum!!!!

By Occhionero
Echt schade, ist halt nur Arbeit.... . Melde mich, wenn ich (hoffentlich) einen Deiner Tipps absolviert habe.
By Occhionero
@thewaystation: I am back from my (work) short trip. Had 1 hour free time and drove to "ideal for Living" and found this:

Ich habe da nie Glück ;-)

But found a record store by accident in the Main Shopping Street near the Parliament and bought a really recommendable record from an swedish artist:

Thanks again for your help and next time we will drink beer a talk about wax.

Frank