General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By monsterworship
Recently spent 30$ on a small bottle of solution to clean my records and was thinking this is probably just distilled water and something else so it has to be simple to replicate.
So without scouring the internet, i thought maybe some of you out there are already making it yourself so...

Anyone care to share a DIY recipe for making vinyl safe cleaning solution/fluid?

I am using a Rx Doctor vacuum machine if that matters.
By texasvinyl
I make my own. I use a combination of 3 parts distilled water to 1 part 99% alcohol with a drop of Dawn dish soap.

With the Dawn, you want just enough to reduce surface tension, not so much as to make it soapy or bubbly.

This works for me, but I do everything by hand with brushes and soft cloths. Whatever you use, you need to remove the liquid from the record. It won't sound good if you let the solution air dry.

A bit of the same solution on a less soft cotton towel can be used to shine up dirty/dull jackets and remove built-up grime, cigarette residue, dust, sticker residue and sometimes improve ring wear. You'll want to take care not to remove the ink, but I've been able to shine up some really ugly dirty covers and make them look a lot better.
By Pain_Bubbles
Texasvinyl's recipe is probably the most well know DIY mixture, and it works well. I don't always have those ingredients though, so have experimented with various other mixtures.
My favorite for ingredients availability and effectiveness is distilled water with some "St Marc", originally a degreasing product for cleaning surfaces before painting, but can also be used as a more common household cleaner.
I just use enough to break the surface tension of the water, the stuff is green, and I use so little you barely see the color of the water change.
(one third bottlecap in .25 liter of water probably, it's been a while since I made some, most of the records I bought recently did not require cleaning.)

It cleans well, leaves no residue and is dirt cheap. (I mop my floor with the stuff, when you only use it to clean records, a single .75 liter bottle will last a lifetime)

Don't know about availability in other countries, but similar stuff is pobably readily available, I believe its active ingredients are called "sugar soap": Sodium carbonide and sodium Hydroxide. I have not used the more powerful powdered versions, but use a bottled, ready to use version.

Some words of caution:

I use it with a vaccuum record cleaner (KAB , based on Nitty gritty), I do not know how it will work without vacuum cleaning, air drying might leave a residue.

Other brands of sugar soap might use different coloring agents, perfumes and other additives, so again, might leave a residue.

Try on some old records first.

By hncreature
I use a VPI machine and a two step process with the cleaner first then a rinse

Someone turned me on to this...it is the Library of Congress' recipe...and I love it! The two bottles of Tergitol will be about $50 w/ shipping but you will have cleaning fluid for the rest of your life...no lie

Cleaner -
1 gallon distilled water...distilled is distilled whether single or triple
10 ml. tergitol 15-s-3 measure precisely
10 ml. tergitol 15-s-9 measure precisely

I split the gallon and go 5 ml of each in each half...no overflow...which will happen...I learned the hard way

Rinse -
1 gallon distilled water
5 oz. 99% isopropyl alcohol...easy find at a good drug store

Works incredible...better than Mofi.

tergitol is available here: http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/ ... ctID=17376

I was researching PVC sleeve off-gassing again due to discovering that many of my Rephlex-era AFX/Caustic Window albums are now covered with the dreaded "mist". Interested in any thoughts on this solution:

That video makes me itchy. I don't know anything about using a product like that on a record, but in the short term it looks efffective. As for long term effects...only one way to find out. I'm paranoid about that stuff though; I rarely use any alcohol on my LPs. And I damn sure wouldn't use paper towels, Kleenex, and tap water.

PS - Six comments down is a fellow after your own heart, Deaf.
Mateo Sanboval wrote:only one way to find out.
Indeed. The vinyl is almost trash at this point, so it might be worth a shot. Seems like a lot of fellow collectors were also stung by the Analord binder. A bit heartbreaking, and throw in the 3LP Caustic Window compilation from '98 on top of that.

I'm down to try it. I've got some $1 records I got from the local library that are terribly offgassed. The library used those heavy PVC sleeves which really wrecked the vinyl. If I have good results I may try it on my Beck Information and NIN Ghosts box sets both of which were done by the same label which used "super premium" PVC inner sleeves that, needless to say, fucked up all the records.

I'd probably use microfiber instead of paper towels. Tap water is probably fine since he cleaned the record again after rinsing it, but distilled water is cheap and probably not the worst idea, although with the product he applied I'm sure you want to be damn sure you get it all off of the record so heavy rinse may not be the worst idea

Very intriguing indeed. I was under the impression the offgassing damage was permanent
texasvinyl wrote:I'm down to try it. I've got some $1 records I got from the local library that are terribly offgassed. The library used those heavy PVC sleeves which really wrecked the vinyl. If I have good results I may try it on my Beck Information and NIN Ghosts box sets both of which were done by the same label which used "super premium" PVC inner sleeves that, needless to say, fucked up all the records.

I'd probably use microfiber instead of paper towels. Tap water is probably fine since he cleaned the record again after rinsing it, but distilled water is cheap and probably not the worst idea, although with the product he applied I'm sure you want to be damn sure you get it all off of the record so heavy rinse may not be the worst idea

Very intriguing indeed. I was under the impression the offgassing damage was permanent
I just don't use tap water. Certainly not as a final wash. Too many variables for sediment and minerals in local water supplies and/or one's pipes. I am eager to see how this treatment works in the hands of someone we can trust.
Hey chaps

Wasn't sure which thread this post would best 'fit' but bit of advice needed.

Picked up this French pressing of Rob's Maniac for a fair price on Discogs (vinyl listed as Near Mint) only to find what looks like a slither of paper/ newsprint stuck fast with what looks like a small splotch of glue on the final track of Side A.

Not sure whether this has occurred at the point of manufacture or later, but wondering whether the record is salvageable? Have tried delicately wiping with tissue paper dipped in a dollop of washing up liquid (I know... I know...), but hasn't shifted it.

Any suggestions appreciated! Cheers
Attachments
P1010056 copy.jpg
P1010056 copy.jpg (598.62 KiB) Viewed 4756 times
P1010054 copy.jpg
P1010054 copy.jpg (626.38 KiB) Viewed 4756 times
deafmetal wrote:@Spun - I have been able to remove a couple stuck bits of paper with a microfiber cloth and cleaning solution. It took some effort, so use this method at your own risk.
This has been successful for me as well. I wouldn't use anything wood-based like tissue for an aggressive cleaning. I've also tried this only to find that the bit of paper is baked right in. Bonne chance!
Maybe just let it soak in plain ol' droplet of water over night to help loosen the paper fibers, then hit it with the microfiber. Did it come in one of those paper sleeves with the plastic lining? Only thing I can guess as to how it happened is the glue on the sleeve was still wet when the LP was inserted.

Or like Mateo mentioned...could be baked right in..
Thanks @Digitalhiss - the vinyl just came in a bog standard paper sleeve without anti static lining ... the inner sleeve is red whereas the fleck of paper is yellow/white so I guess from a different source. These things happen, just wondering the best remedy... but the cleaning solution and microfibre cloth seems the first port of call :)
By inksb
Alright so I finally got myself a cheap record cleaning set-up. I want a nice machine like the Okki-Nokki but that's not in the cards anytime soon. So I decided to give the Vinyl Vac 33 a try which is just a PVC tube with a slit and cleaning pads on it that attaches to small wet/dry vac. I built a small platter to turn the record on for cleaning, I still need to build a stand for the vinyl vac but that's not necessary at the moment. I need to make a solution, it seems like the one discussed in here which is distilled water, 99% iso alcohol and a drop of dish soap is what I plan on making. My question though is how important is 99% vs 91%, I have went to two grocery stores and 3 drug stores and the highest any of them carry is 91. Thoughts on this?

Also what do you guys use for a brush on the record during the cleaning process? I've seen the mobile fidelity brush recommended elsewhere - https://www.ttvjaudio.com/Mobile_Fideli ... 000001.htm
By inksb
Alright I need some help here. What in the world would cause brand new record to arrive with these kinds of marks on them? I don't hear anything necessarily while playing it but the damn thing looks filthy. It's a brand new record that I bought from the label the moment it went up for sale. I've done solution + brush + vac clean. Nothing seems to effect it. Some insight on what it is and how to get rid of it would be super helpful. Also this is on both sides of the LP every where, came in a standard jacket and black paper sleeve (no poly lining).

Those marks are surface scuffs either caused during production or most likely by the generic paper sleeves.

Its a common occurrence, thats why I use MoFi poly sleeves for my collection and I use poly lined inners for my releases.
texasvinyl wrote:I'm down to try it. I've got some $1 records I got from the local library that are terribly offgassed. The library used those heavy PVC sleeves which really wrecked the vinyl. If I have good results I may try it on my Beck Information and NIN Ghosts box sets both of which were done by the same label which used "super premium" PVC inner sleeves that, needless to say, fucked up all the records.

@texas - Did you ever try this? One thing I noticed about my Analord albums is that after removing them all from the PVC sleeves and letting them sit out a few months, some of the terrible discoloration has lightened up. I have not dared to listen to them yet, but I might try the cleaning method on one of them soon. I think I have a double of #10 somewhere.