General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
I'm not sure we have a thread for non-OST jazz music. Perhaps there are some jazz aficionados on the forum?

This thread is intended to be a place for all things jazz: new release/reissue heads-up, "now playing" posts, discussion, recommendations etc.
By texasvinyl

I will start with a Don Ellis record from 1973 called "Soaring". For those unfamiliar with his work, Ellis was an American trumpeter, arranger, composer, drummer and big band leader. I think he was a musical genius...he composed in time signatures like 19/4, 7/4, /5. Some albums feature excellent avantgarde trumpet solos.

This album, Soaring, is a mix of styles and influences and includes Ellis originals and a great Hank Levy song called "Whiplash" that I think is also in the recent Whiplash movie.

I'd give Don's records a listen if you haven't yet. They're almost all readily available for a few bucks each. They're all different and worth your time.
By texasvinyl

Here's another Ellis record, Connection, which has a much worse cover than Soaring! But it includes Ellis' excellent "Theme From 'The French Connection:'"

[video]http://youtu.be/AhWuqhhNHOI[/video]
By freshoj
Looking forward to watching this thread. Jazz is definitely the most represented genre in my collection.
By texasvinyl
Glad there are some other fans of the genre on the board! I'm still on Don Ellis this morning... currently listening to the track "33 222 1 222" from the Live at Monterey album, named because that is the meter of the song (/19). It's amazing how natural the band makes a weird long meter sound--and they do it with three upright bass, two drummers, a percussionist and a sizeable horn section.
By Whip Wilson
Ah. Good to be home, boys. I've been on a Milt Jackson tear of late. Currently having a heard time getting off the table, but I started the day with Classic. Olinga is a 1974 CTI number with some production by Bob James. As such, it is a pretty funky release. This, and because it went out of print in 1975, has made it a sample mine for all manner of folks over the years. Great record. Bags and Trane is a hard bop legend. The only time these two hooked up, it was recorded in 58 or 59, but released in 1961 on Atlantic after Coltrane had left for Impulse and subsequently become a household name. In truth, this is a Milt Jackson record with Coltrane as one of the players. Jackson wrote all of the originals and is definitely the leader here. Again, classic.
By Vapourmeyer
At last, jazz! The biggest genre in my, admittedly small, collection. Really looking forward to some wholesome advice, discussion, heads-ups, deep cuts etc. A week never goes by without me spinning one of these guys:

By freshoj
Yah, I don't even know where to begin on this topic - so much to blather about. Most recently Ornette Coleman's 'Something Else!!!!' has graced the table.

Hm... do you need an instagram account to browser a public account? if not, you can see that jazz makes up more than 1/3 of my IG posts:

https://instagram.com/jmcdisks/

By philball1974
Great thread. I previously started a thread for what is known as nu jazz, future jazz etc and have only dipped a toe into traditional jazz so will get some inspiration from here.

I did recently buy an album from a band called BadBadnotGood, the album is called III which is very good.
By Vapourmeyer
For me i'll be looking to this thread for upcoming releases/re-issues. My taste lies on the funkier side of things, and with the wealth of music out there any suggestions will be greatly welcomed.
By Dollarhyde
Great thread, will be contributing some spins soon.

By abedunk
Honored to interview alto sax great Lou Donaldson yesterday before his performance at the Portland Jazz Festival. Sweet guy, innovator in hard bop (w/Clifford Brown, Horace Silver, Art Blakey) and in soul jazz - represented by his biggest hit, Alligator Boogaloo. I found this 7" jukebox version recently and it's a killer. And at 88 years old, Lou is still hard to match!
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa5FfnqF24w[/video]
By Whip Wilson
Abe! I was wondering when you were going to weigh in here. We've got a fever, Doc. Time to dole out the medicine.
By Dollarhyde

one of my favourite jazz musicians
By Vapourmeyer
Pure Latin jazz brilliance.
By Dollarhyde

More Elvin Jones, with Candido on percussion. George Coleman, Frank Foster and Wilbur Little make up the rest of this LP. lots of eastern influences on this one.
By texasvinyl

Relaxin' has always been a Miles album I come back to again and again. Miles, Coltrane, Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones.

This is one of the few Analogue Productions jazz reissues I have (they are just so damn expensive), but you do get a top notch replica. From the jacket board type & thickness to the label & liner note layout and of course the sound, these are as close to exact replicas of the original as you can get.

I'd love to one day find an original, but it's not likely!
By Whip Wilson
[quote=55820]

one of my favourite jazz musicians
[/quote]And mine as well, sir! Going to ease into the day with a little Psychicemotus right now. Thanks for the inspiration.
By Dollarhyde
@mateo, Seen but not heard that one, will have to check it, along with that Milt Jackson on CTI.

More Yusef.
By Macready
The ever-reliable Superior Viaduct are re-issuing two Mingus LPs next month: Mingus Plays Piano and The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady.

Am only familiar with Mingus' Ah Um, but based on streaming 'The Black Saint..' over the last week I'll definitely be picking it up.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFA0FYQo0Gg[/video]

US folk - up for pre-order at SV: LINK

Euro-types - hhv.de also have it: HERE
By Whip Wilson
Macready, Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is Mingus' magnum opus and one of my top five favorite jazz records. Though I hace the Analogue Productions 2xLP 45rpm version (the only AP in my collection), I have been eyeing these SV reissues, but will be holding off until I hear reports on their fidelity. Mingus Ah Um, along with Coltrane's Blue Train, was one of the first CDs (ack!) that got me into Jazz as a much younger man.

Starting to feel slightly better about that de Roubaix record right now. Starting...
By Macready
ha ha - you're a man who knows how to manage a grudge long term, Mateo.

Weirdly, Mingus Ah Um and Blue Train were two of the first albums I bought when I was just dipping my toes into the jazz pool, alongside Maiden Voyage and Monk's Blues - all on c*mpact disc from one of the big outlets as my local indie at the time didn't stock jazz lps.

I remember being mildly anxious in case the guy behind the counter started making small-talk about modal forms or asked me a question about my favourite time signature..