General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Oh man this is awesome, Seb. Thanks for the hot tip.
By Mateo Sanboval
John Abercrombie - Timeless (ECM/1975)
Terrific debut as a leader for Abercrombie who's meandering, improvisational guitar playing is on point and made all the stronger here by the inclusion of DeJohnette and Hammer. The twelve minute title cut is otherworldly, unique, and well worth your time. Don't skip this one.
By texasvinyl
Good stuff, dollarhyde!! I hadn't heard either of those Japanese records.

This is an awesome post-bop session featuring Franco D'Andrea on piano, keyboard and also soprano saxophone, Franco Tonani on drums and trumpet, and Bruno Tommaso on contrabasso. It is more straightforward at times and more free jazz & borderline avant-garde in others. It was recorded in 1970 at Piero Umiliani's Sound Work Shop studio and released in small numbers on the Vedette label. All are original compositions except one Gershwin cover.

I had a nice chat with a serious jazz collector at the Austin Record show who knew Franco D'Andrea and jammed with him a couple of times.
By Dollarhyde
@texas
Hirocosmos is particularly good! Hiro Yanagida played keys in legendary Japanese psych group apryl fool.

That Vedette LP, recorded at the sound workshop, always a good sign :)
By Mateo Sanboval
I hadn't heard of those LPs either, but I went out and found some samples. Excellent stuff. Yanagida was one of Shinki Chen's 'Friends' as well.
By Dollarhyde
@tex
Funky Soul Jazz with a Latin vibe and a touch of disco here and there.
It contains a few great tunes, zaius is a classic!

I Highly recommend it, and it should be available at a reasonable price, especially in the US. I found my copy at a car boot sale ;)
By abedunk
For fans of classic video game music and modern jazz, the all-star Seattle jazz group Contraband plays jazz versions of music from Contra - they have a brand new album coming soon, with live shows around the Northwest under D'Vonne Lewis Limited Edition. Led by sax player Cliff Colon, featuring D'Vonne on drums, Andy Coe - guitar, Farko Dosumov - electric bass, Eric Verlinde - keys/synths, Jacques Willis - vibes and J. Charles on alto sax. http://contrabandreloaded.com/ Pretty cool to my ears! Here's one of their latest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaNnSL8AT9w
By Mateo Sanboval
abedunk wrote:For fans of classic video game music and modern jazz, the all-star Seattle jazz group Contraband plays jazz versions of music from Contra - they have a brand new album coming soon, with live shows around the Northwest under D'Vonne Lewis Limited Edition. Led by sax player Cliff Colon, featuring D'Vonne on drums, Andy Coe - guitar, Farko Dosumov - electric bass, Eric Verlinde - keys/synths, Jacques Willis - vibes and J. Charles on alto sax. http://contrabandreloaded.com/ Pretty cool to my ears! Here's one of their latest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaNnSL8AT9w
Great post, Abe. I have known one of the above-mentioned folks for nearly 15 years now. They and I share a great friend in common. Appreciate the heads-up on this and I can't wait to tell them where I found out about it.
By texasvinyl

Copped this first press 1965 Mono copy of Lee Morgan's The Rumproller today. Ten bucks because the jacket is in fair condition. The disc has many marks but plays really strong, I actually can't hear them at all. I see these Blue Note originals so rarely these days and usually for stupid prices, so I'm thrilled.
By Mateo Sanboval
I love Lee Morgan.
I love Blue Note.
I love original pressings,
I love jealousy.
By Steve Powder
Playing this beauty. Edward Vesala with Reggie Workman, Tomasz Stanko and Chico Freeman to name a few. There is two tuba players in here, interesting. Vesala was one of the prominent jazz musicians from Finland. This record and Vesalas playing is a bit avant garde, with the american musicians putting in a more traditional sound.

The record store owner said it's one of the best Finnish jazz records ever. Unusual as it's from 1980.
Attachments
IMG-2.jpg
IMG-2.jpg (110.03 KiB) Viewed 7939 times
IMG-1.jpg
IMG-1.jpg (297.18 KiB) Viewed 7939 times
By Dollarhyde
texasvinyl wrote:Image

Copped this first press 1965 Mono copy of Lee Morgan's The Rumproller today. Ten bucks because the jacket is in fair condition. The disc has many marks but plays really strong, I actually can't hear them at all. I see these Blue Note originals so rarely these days and usually for stupid prices, so I'm thrilled.

Nice stuff, I presume a Van Gelder mastered Blue note pressing? Some of those old Jazz records were mastered and pressed so well old beat VG LPs sound better than mint 'audiophile' (how Ironic) remastered minty new lps. IMHO anyway.
By Steve Powder
25990822_1788088351210618_2142287378_n.jpg
25990822_1788088351210618_2142287378_n.jpg (77.33 KiB) Viewed 7567 times
Playing this Barney Kessel original italian RCA, it might be his best album. He is joined with Carlo Pes as a composer and a musician and the Italian session musicians - Restuccia, Tommaso etc, which is why I hyped up when I saw it in the record.
25675027_1788088357877284_469703884_n.jpg
25675027_1788088357877284_469703884_n.jpg (96.27 KiB) Viewed 7567 times
The tracks by Carlo Pes might be my favorite on the whole record. See the Lison track -

sorry for the poopoo camera quality.
By texasvinyl
Nice pick steve!! I actually bought a copy last week, although I opted for the US RCA Camden pressing since it was only five bucks. Lison is sublime.

Have you heard Easy Moments on Gemelli? Another Kessel + Pes collaboration which I really enjoy.
By monsterworship
Finally something to add to the jazz thread but no picture with me.

I found a 1959 mono pressing of the Blue Note classic John Coltrane - Blue Train LP at half price books on the last day of the 20% off sale for an already surprisingly too low price. They had got a crazy jazz collection that I picked a lot of $10 prestige titles from.