General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
Sweet find! The HPB by me probably would have that priced for $400. Hell they price common Beatles records at $100! That's a really good Coltrane record.
By Mateo Sanboval
@Monster - What a killer pull. Love to see/hear about the prestige titles someday.

@Tex - Same here; the local HPB never seems to have any good deals on wax. To the point that I don't really check in anymore.
By monsterworship
Mateo Sanboval wrote:@Monster - What a killer pull. Love to see/hear about the prestige titles someday.

@Tex - Same here; the local HPB never seems to have any good deals on wax. To the point that I don't really check in anymore.
i have 3 local HPB, I almost hate to find good stuff knowing it will be extremely over priced. they all get great stuff though. its so weird because we have an over abundance of great record stores, and HPB pays shit for any collections.

3 days before the last coupon sale I saw a copy of the 1st press of the first Big Star record on the wall for $100, like a dumbass i didn't even think to ask them to hold it, of course it was gone before the first day of the sale. biggest regret of 2017.
By Mateo Sanboval
Ah, bummer. Still, it's nice/surprising to see that, even with all of the Big Star reissues over the last few years, the OGs still hold some value.
By texasvinyl
Yeah you always gotta pre-shop the sale the day or two before and do a 48-hour hold on something you want :)

I've gotten surprisingly good stuff from them before just nothing in the past year or two. Got the OG Maniac and The Thing for $10 each. Yet they had some ordinary $10-$15 Morricone on the wall in a glass frame priced at $75. Can't figure them out.
By deafmetal
I really miss HPB. I used to scour my local one every week back in the Midwest. I can never understand the stores that have weird pricing. It's pretty common to see shops marking up discogs averages by a certain percentage, but some of these odd places either just make it up or there might be one person on staff who checks discogs and everybody else just makes a guess. @texas - your findings are a great example of this.
By Mateo Sanboval
Jimmy_Mike wrote:Heads, this comp is killer, no filler:

Nice one, Jimmy! Streamed this straight through twice last night. I need to order it.
By Mateo Sanboval
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Cool.
https://thevinylfactory.com/news/wrwtfw ... -reissues/
Indeed!

Bought vol. 8.1 and 8.2 of the Spiritual Jazz series (vol. 8 is focussed on Japan) today at a record shop.

http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/spiritu ... pan-part-1

Looking forward to spin those at the weekend, first impressions are very promising.
Nice pickups, Chris. Are these the first releases that Jazzman has pressed to wax?
By ChrisMcQueen007
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Nice pickups, Chris. Are these the first releases that Jazzman has pressed to wax?
The Spiritual Jazz samplers are all on vinyl but the earlier ones are not easy to get hold of (quite pricey).
By Mateo Sanboval
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Nice pickups, Chris. Are these the first releases that Jazzman has pressed to wax?
The Spiritual Jazz samplers are all on vinyl but the earlier ones are not easy to get hold of (quite pricey).
No kidding? I had no idea.
By Mateo Sanboval

Did you get this from overseas or is there Stateside distribution for BBE?
By Dollarhyde
Those comps look interesting. The Jazzman FUNK series of comps are probably my most prized compilations Texas funk, Midwest funk etc...

Now spinning another one like the other one, a Giles Peterson fave, amazing pressing from prestige.

https://youtu.be/65YLpkN8_r8
Attachments
_20180327_103909.JPG
_20180327_103909.JPG (719.58 KiB) Viewed 7894 times
By Mateo Sanboval
The Funk series is a lot of fun, Dollar.
By Jimmy_Mike
Mateo Sanboval wrote:

@Mateo - Amazon, caballero
By Mateo Sanboval
Jimmy_Mike wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:

@Mateo - Amazon, caballero
Never heard of it.

EDIT: Whoa! Like, seriously never heard of it. I ordered this on Amazon on 3/6, when you first reminded me of it, and have zero memory of doing so. Ho-lee smokes. If I'm going to blackout either way, I might start drinking more often.
By milliondollars
that J Jazz looks interesting! need to check it out. interesting that this is the second japan jazz comp coming within one month. that Jazzman comp is nice, too...
By Mateo Sanboval
milliondollars wrote:that J Jazz looks interesting! need to check it out. interesting that this is the second japan jazz comp coming within one month. that Jazzman comp is nice, too...
The other being the Spiritual Jazz comps? Or is there something else as well?
By milliondollars
@Mateo: yes, sir! that Spiritual Jazz comps.

i do not buy a lot of compilations but thie Spiritual Jazz series is really solid and running strong for 10 years now.

really love the informtive liners and the knowledge behind them. Vol. 6 (Vocals) is the only quite redundant one in my humble opinion.
By texasvinyl

Previously unreleased studio album by Bill Evans, which is crazy because it's an outstanding record. This is one Resonance put out for record store day a couple years ago.