General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By CrossedPete
Found this on the weekend not an OG press but it sounds great and I didn’t have to pay through the nose for it.
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 2180 times
I picked up a bunch of other great stuff lately here’s a pick of some of my other recent pick ups
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 2180 times
I found midnight special at a garage sale for $3 and is a OG mono copy. I picked up the Gary Bartz based on @texs’ posts. :)
By texasvinyl
CrossedPete wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:08 pm Found this on the weekend not an OG press but it sounds great and I didn’t have to pay through the nose for it. image.jpg I picked up a bunch of other great stuff lately here’s a pick of some of my other recent pick ups image.jpg
I found midnight special at a garage sale for $3 and is a OG mono copy. I picked up the Gary Bartz based on @texs’ posts. :)

Pete that's a big want!! I have one in my cart for weeks but it's too damn expensive to pull the trigger. Nice score!!
By CrossedPete
Yeah I was pretty pumped to find it. As a fan of Pete Rock it’s a record that’s always been on my radar. On Sunday I was looking it up on eBay and was shocked about some of the prices, I basically wrote off the idea of owning a copy for a while. I had Monday off and went to a record store, I guess since it was on my mind I decided to look for a Tom Scott section and boom goes the dynamite. It was just sitting in there in the bins, in the Jazz section. Who knows how long it’s been sitting there but I’m glad I was fresh on my mind plus after seeing how much it goes for the price didn’t seem so bad.
By inksb
CrossedPete wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:33 am Yeah I was pretty pumped to find it. As a fan of Pete Rock it’s a record that’s always been on my radar. On Sunday I was looking it up on eBay and was shocked about some of the prices, I basically wrote off the idea of owning a copy for a while. I had Monday off and went to a record store, I guess since it was on my mind I decided to look for a Tom Scott section and boom goes the dynamite. It was just sitting in there in the bins, in the Jazz section. Who knows how long it’s been sitting there but I’m glad I was fresh on my mind plus after seeing how much it goes for the price didn’t seem so bad.
I feel like you have this record store that just doesn't price stuff according to current market value, a relic of the past. All of my local shops price by discogs. There generally isn't "deals" to be had anymore around me.

Great pick ups.
By CrossedPete
Thanks actually it’s three different stores I usually haunt and have found great deals at all three. This store in particular for the most part I feel are high on their pricing. They have an OG VS copy of pee wee’s big adventure. It’s up on eBay they have it for $150 and I can tell it was originally a record from a library or a radio station, Stickers everywhere. I’ve tried to negotiate the price on that one and they won’t budge. Also I’m not sharing all the times I’ve over paid for a record ;)

white goddess by frank hunter was a record I picked up earlier this year from a different store. After buying it I went to discogs to add it to my collection and I was shocked at how much it was going for. The weird thing was one of the albums that were available on discogs at the time was from the store I just bought it from and his price on discogs was almost double the price

A lot of the crazy deals I get are from a record sale I go to that happens twice a year. Apparently it’s the second largest record show in Canada. Over the years I’ve found some real gold. Still my best ever score is Halloween III for $10

If you ever find yourself in Winnipeg hit me up we’ll hunt for some gold :)
By inksb
Halloween III for $10?!??!?!?! What a deal

Yeah I want to try our local record show that happens twice a year again. I went maybe 4 or 5 years ago and was so disappointed by the selection but who knows years later there could be new vendors with better stuff.
By texasvinyl
Went on a lunch time dig today and walked away with quite a few goodies.

By far the most excited about Gears. I've wanted the LP for a long time but have never been able to find one. This is an 80s DMM repress from the UK that sounds good to me, and minty.

Thembi, Genius+Soul, and Jazz Heard Round the World are all first Impulse pressings. The Ray says Stereo but sounds mono to me, the left and right are the same.

The Joao Gilberto is highly recommended. I have a Brazilian odeon already, but the cover is literally two thin pieces of paper, and the record is not a very good pressing. This Atlantic is a mint white label promo and sounds a lot better than the Brazilian.

The Ronnie foster is another stone classic. Its a 90s pressing. It was the only one priced too high. But I have a 2007 Scorpio press and can get way more for that than I realized, so I will A/B them and keep whichever pressing is better.

The Turrentine was the real surprise. Because it isn't The Spoiler inside. The disc is "Of Love and Peace" by Larry Young, an original Van Gelder stereo pressing in EX condition, and that's a way better record than Spoiler.

I'm happy with this shop lately. They're bringing in quality buys and pricing them more than fairly.
Attachments
PXL_20210813_202648250~2.jpg
PXL_20210813_202648250~2.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 2071 times
PXL_20210813_204152821~2.jpg
PXL_20210813_204152821~2.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 2071 times
By CrossedPete
Tex what a haul!!! I’ll be honest I haven’t listened to much of those but you have 3 well 2 albums that I’ve been heavily listing to at work on Spotify. The Spoiler is so good as is Gears, I really want to get Gamblers Life as well. But Ronnie foster!!! RONNIE FOSTER!!!! I am obsessed with that album. I feel like you are some how cherry picking my major want list haha :). Based on the ones I already know I’ll definitely be checking out these other releases
By texasvinyl
Hank mobley all stars, all tracks are mobley originals
Attachments
PXL_20210815_000946231~2.jpg
PXL_20210815_000946231~2.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 2016 times
By inksb
I checked out a few songs on that Ronnie Foster. Holy hell that's a good one. I need to stop coming in here. I keep finding records that are dumb expensive that I want lol.
By texasvinyl
That Ronnie foster got super expensive. I got the 2007 Scorpio probably in 2013, I think it was maybe ten bucks back then dead stock but I guess those all dried up. I've always been on the hunt for the original but have never found one. The 90s seems to be superior to the 07 both pressing and especially the jacket. The 2007 is too glossy and clearly a scanned copy that came out too dark and lost details
By texasvinyl
Definitely go for the 90s issue over the 2007 Scorpio. I did an A/B comparison.

The 07 press is clearly cut from digital. The high end is too tinny and sounds compressed. The whole thing lacks depth. It's most evident in the snare drum. On the 90s press the snare hits ring and have sustain. On the 07 there is no depth or duration to the snare hits. The 07 is not worth the $$ folks are paying. I have not heard an original. Definitely glad I got this 90s one though, it's a big sonic upgrade with a better looking jacket.
Attachments
PXL_20210816_005729360~2.jpg
PXL_20210816_005729360~2.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 1959 times
By texasvinyl
Here's the 2007 cover. If you look at the eyes and hair you can see where the 07 isn't very good and loses a lot of detail. Also he apparently got a haircut I don't know why but his hair is shorter in the 07!!
Attachments
PXL_20210816_012126376~3.jpg
PXL_20210816_012126376~3.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 1959 times
By inksb
Now I'm listening to that Johnny Hammond Gears album, it has some scorchers on it too. Added to the "want list"
By CrossedPete
Hey @inks not sure if you saw the earlier posts on this feed but if your digging that Gears album you should check out some of the other Jazz albums with the Mizell Bros. I can’t remember who started mentioning them I think either @Tex or @dollar so they might have more info on them but yeah they are sooooo good at what they do. I’m not sure with gears but I know Larry Mizell arranges a lot of the albums he produces. They have a style and sound that resonates throughout all of there releases
By inksb
CrossedPete wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:57 pm Hey @inks not sure if you saw the earlier posts on this feed but if your digging that Gears album you should check out some of the other Jazz albums with the Mizell Bros. I can’t remember who started mentioning them I think either @Tex or @dollar so they might have more info on them but yeah they are sooooo good at what they do. I’m not sure with gears but I know Larry Mizell arranges a lot of the albums he produces. They have a style and sound that resonates throughout all of there releases
Thanks, I'll check them out.
By CrossedPete
A great start would be any of the Donald Byrd albums Black Byrd, Street Lady, Stepping into Tomorrow, Places and Spaces and Caricatures are all solid albums. Honestly I haven’t heard a bad Jazz album with the Mizell bros. Yet.
By texasvinyl
Joe Henderson plays sax like the cool kid in school

I really dig this record

Had the 2LP music matters 45rpm but think the SRX is the better experience. You lose two flips of the disc and that's about it, sonically I think this trades blows with the 45rpm
Attachments
PXL_20210817_042121785~2.jpg
PXL_20210817_042121785~2.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 1832 times
By Dollarhyde
Nice pick with that gears @Texas I'm still after that one, and thanks for reminding me about two headed freap, I had mystic brew, the track from that LP, on an old blue note comp, has long been a favourite of mine. Added to the wantlist too.

@inks as @crossedPete said Mizell bros. Are awesome. Gears, to my knowledge, is one of the pricier harder to find of their projects. Their stuff with Donald Byrd and Minnie ripperton is maybe a good start.
Many years ago I sold on my copy of Gary Bartz music is my sanctuary (another mizell prod.) Really kicking myself for that, will likely be buying again 🤦
By monsterworship
texasvinyl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:29 am Joe Henderson plays sax like the cool kid in school

I really dig this record

Had the 2LP music matters 45rpm but think the SRX is the better experience. You lose two flips of the disc and that's about it, sonically I think this trades blows with the 45rpm
great record, i have the japanese pressing from the late 70s