General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
Back to the big jazz dig. This 69 release of a 66 session is good straight ahead hard bop. But nor is it doing anything new. Maybe it got shelved in the ownership transition? Still van gelder engineered but starting to diverge from the blue note traditions- new directions in cover style, gatefold jacket. But the music is good, and the lineup is crazy good with Jackie McLean and Hank mobley plus Walter chambers and Higgins. Jackie has some awesome solos like in somethin cute.

This is a first press in Ex condition, for the price of a BN classics title!
Attachments
PXL_20210729_182242298~2.jpg
PXL_20210729_182242298~2.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 1708 times
By texasvinyl
Interesting one. I got it because Kenny Burrells name is on the cover. Not familiar with Letman. His playing leans a little old fashioned, at times using a mute to do a wah wah effect. Some of the tracks really get going, like Tina and The Room Upstairs. He sings on This Time the Drinks On Me and in that one Kenny has kind of a rocking solo.

Decent record overall but can't really find any info about it. Record is super clean.
Attachments
PXL_20210729_194024048~2.jpg
PXL_20210729_194024048~2.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 1702 times
By texasvinyl
At times easy and at times swinging jazz from 1953, I think two 10" compiled here for the LP- one a quintet with piano, guitar, bass, drums and tenor sax and the other without the sax. Half of the sax tracks have zoot sims.

Really digging this one. Blood red labels, original deep groove Savoy and in gorgeous condition. I like George duvivier bass playing on this, and chuck Wayne has some blistering lines on tracks like "butterfingers". Rudy van gelder was the engineer.
Attachments
PXL_20210729_213504935~2.jpg
PXL_20210729_213504935~2.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 1693 times
By inksb
I picked this up after reading some high praise for Sam Records reissues. On top of it sounding very good I'm very impressed with the packaging, heavy weight jacket, print quality is nice, fold out insert with lots of linear notes and it came in a MoFi like antistatic sleeve. I wish I could find that Art Blakely release from them but seems to be sold out everywhere. Definitely picking up the Miles Davis reissue from them.

By ChrisMcQueen007
inksb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:01 pm I picked this up after reading some high praise for Sam Records reissues. On top of it sounding very good I'm very impressed with the packaging, heavy weight jacket, print quality is nice, fold out insert with lots of linear notes and it came in a MoFi like antistatic sleeve. I wish I could find that Art Blakely release from them but seems to be sold out everywhere. Definitely picking up the Miles Davis reissue from them.

That‘s a really nice album, Inksb. Also agree on the sound quality, serves the rather nuanced playing well.
I have the RSD release from a couple of years back, that one has a second LP with alternate takes but those are non-essential.
By monsterworship
inksb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:01 pm I picked this up after reading some high praise for Sam Records reissues. On top of it sounding very good I'm very impressed with the packaging, heavy weight jacket, print quality is nice, fold out insert with lots of linear notes and it came in a MoFi like antistatic sleeve. I wish I could find that Art Blakely release from them but seems to be sold out everywhere. Definitely picking up the Miles Davis reissue from them.

The Sam records Nathan Davis live in Paris record in phenomenal.
By texasvinyl
Cool label hadn't heard of them. Nice one ink.

This Dexter Gordon has been getting a ton of time on the deck. The addition of Bobby hutcherson is perfect for these mellow tunes. And cranshaw + Higgins are so good on rhythm.

I've got A Swingin Affair and Go! by Gordon. Gettin Around is my favorite of these three. This one is a first press stereo in really nice condition.
Attachments
PXL_20210801_003418565~2.jpg
PXL_20210801_003418565~2.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 1640 times
By texasvinyl
Remediation went okay. I made one mistake which was propping the jacket open too much when I dried it in the sun. The cardboard dried in that shape so the jacket now sits wide open instead of flat.

But the mold is hopefully dead now. I had to get it pretty good with the bleach and rub some of the back slick off, it was deep into the paper. There was moldy dust all inside the jacket too, so I used a bleach rag and stuck my hand all the way in there. But managed not to split any of the seams.

The disc cleaned up nicely too. There's a problematic mark towards the end of A1 Succotash that repeats sometimes, I think I might be able to work it out in time. Otherwise it plays VG+ nice rich sound on the mono deep groove.
Attachments
PXL_20210731_200917193~3.jpg
PXL_20210731_200917193~3.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 1635 times
PXL_20210731_193421894~2.jpg
PXL_20210731_193421894~2.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 1635 times
By texasvinyl
Back on this one....just killer stuff. Mizell bros + bartz jazz funk with a unique sensibility

"No bombs baby, just tittee-boom"

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? ...the shadow do

This dude had his eyes open. Love it.
Attachments
PXL_20210805_022940412~2.jpg
PXL_20210805_022940412~2.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 1586 times
By inksb
texasvinyl wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:35 am Back on this one....just killer stuff. Mizell bros + bartz jazz funk with a unique sensibility

"No bombs baby, just tittee-boom"

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? ...the shadow do

This dude had his eyes open. Love it.
This is fantastic. And of course there are none for sale.
By texasvinyl
Ink I'd been after that bartz for a minute if only for the sample but the whole thing is ace. His stuff has really dried up it seems. I'm after Home! but can't find a copy.

I did score this Maiden Voyage on discogs for a phenomenal price. It's a '66, a transitional pressing/early reissue with van gelder in the runout, super clean all around

Herbie and Ron Carter and Anthony Williams vibe so well on this.
Attachments
PXL_20210808_030304208~2.jpg
PXL_20210808_030304208~2.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 1543 times
By inksb
My brother was just given 7 or 8 Hancock LP's. Maiden Voyage was one of them. I'll have to check and see what pressing it is next time I visit. Although the jacket is way more beat up than your copy, which looks pretty damn clean.
By inksb
I had a dream last night that I was in a record store that looked very similar to one I visited in LA in early 00's discussing different pressings of a Herbie Hancock album and then trying out some new fancy super record cleaning system. I told my wife this morning that I may have a problem lol.
By ChrisMcQueen007
inksb wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:27 pm I had a dream last night that I was in a record store that looked very similar to one I visited in LA in early 00's discussing different pressings of a Herbie Hancock album and then trying out some new fancy super record cleaning system. I told my wife this morning that I may have a problem lol.
The dream of a true record aficionado. :)

I saw you received Cat by Hiroshi Suzuki. Have you had the chance to spin in yet? If yes, how‘s the sound? The We Release Jazz releases are usually stellar. I love that album, have a Japanese rerelease from a few years back.
By inksb
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:30 pm
inksb wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:27 pm I had a dream last night that I was in a record store that looked very similar to one I visited in LA in early 00's discussing different pressings of a Herbie Hancock album and then trying out some new fancy super record cleaning system. I told my wife this morning that I may have a problem lol.
The dream of a true record aficionado. :)

I saw you received Cat by Hiroshi Suzuki. Have you had the chance to spin in yet? If yes, how‘s the sound? The We Release Jazz releases are usually stellar. I love that album, have a Japanese rerelease from a few years back.
I gave side A a spin last night. I sat in front of my system to listen to the first track but after that I was moving around and not giving it my full attention. I thought what I heard sounded pretty fantastic. I honestly haven't had any issues with WRWTFWW albums I have and this is my first We Release Jazz, although I'll be grabbing a few of the Ryo Fukui albums as I enjoy them quite a bit too. Unfortunately I can't compare it to an OG or anything but to my ears I thought it was nice and balanced with no surface noise.
By inksb
Picked this up today at the local shop. I've never heard it and have seen mixed things about Tone Poet reissue series on discogs but just took a chance as I've been looking to expand more of my jazz knowledge. I enjoy it quite a bit.

Any of you guys know anything about the quality of these Tone Poet reissues? Sorry if it's been covered in here before I only recently started actually coming in here consistently.

They also had Sonny Clark - My Conception. Should I grab that one too?
By texasvinyl
The tone poets are the best buys around right now. You get a lot of quality for the $$$

That record is dope as hell because it has Gary bartz, woody shaw and Wayne shorter in the lineup!!
By inksb
texasvinyl wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:46 am The tone poets are the best buys around right now. You get a lot of quality for the $$$

That record is dope as hell because it has Gary bartz, woody shaw and Wayne shorter in the lineup!!
Awesome that's good to know. I was talking to the guy who runs the shop today and he's not very well versed in Jazz but plans on ordering a bunch of the the Blue Note Classic Series and Tone Poet series. So I'll probably just grab what comes in.
By texasvinyl
The classics probably are the more sought after titles, but they've done a nice job highlighting shelved and underlooked titles with their Tone Poet series. All mastered by Kevin gray

I hope they repress some of the tone poets like I really don't want to shell out the prices some people are asking for the out of print ones