General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By CrossedPete
texasvinyl wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:15 pm It seems like a race to the finish on these 70s represses. I'm trying to fill gaps where I can. I have a lot of byrd albums but still plenty of holes like this great soulful session.
I picked up the reissue with a different cover a while back and yeah this album is so good, I like this original cover better though

On an unrelated note my local record store posted they had a copy of Lee Morgan live at the Lighthouse. I streamed a couple tracks, found out Bennie Maupin is on the recording so right away I felt like I need this album. When I called to reserve the copy it already sold, I was crushed. The version online is over 3 hours long while the album is only 4 tracks. I did a little research and apparently Lee Morgan’s See Autumn was thought to be recorded during this session. Does anybody know if this is true? My local record store has a copy is it worth picking up? Also does anyone have any other great albums with Benny Maupin playing?
By texasvinyl
Ahh thats too bad. Good clean jazz stuff is hard to find right now. And sells so fast. It really feels like a mad dash to scoop up every decent copy of every decent jazz album. Some of these 70s repress went from $20 to $100+ records in a blink. And they sound good, so I can understand why.

I wonder how many good jazz records I sold in the purge over the past few years. Hopefully nothing too good, but I pulled a couple of really pristine though not particularly sought after Prestige originals out of the sale bin. I sold many OJCs, and those have gotten harder to find.

I have not heard See Autumn or Live at the Lighthouse actually. Need to look them up.

The Maupin albums I have on the shelf are High Blues Pressure by Freddie Hubbard on Atlantic, Bitches brew & on the corner, and the Hancock classics Thrust, Flood, Headhunters & Crossings. Also Eddie Henderson's Realization. Hubbard and Henderson are pretty good, of course the others are all time greats
By CrossedPete
I’m on a huge Hubbard kick right now so I’ll have to check out High Blues Pressure, I have on the corner didn’t realize Maupin was on it. Still got to track down a copy of Bitches Brew now that I know Maupin played on that too it’s going higher on my priority list. I love Hancock so I’m covered there but damn I want that Realization album so bad. Thanks for the recommendations
By texasvinyl
Bitches brew is my favorite record to put on if I am in a severely altered state of mind. What a trip that one is.

Took a shot on a really cheap but below grade copy of Finger Poppin, I think it was G or G+. A very lively deep groove mono showed up, some edge issues but presents really well. And some light background noise but not much in the way of groove wear. Swingin' the Samba is a jam.
Attachments
PXL_20210319_182157880~2.jpg
PXL_20210319_182157880~2.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 1770 times
By Dollarhyde
@crossedpete, ☹️ man, sad to hear. His work for headhunters is amazing, love this direct to disk album of his.
Attachments
IMG_20210320_103127.jpg
IMG_20210320_103127.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1752 times
By Mateo Sanboval
RIP Paul Jackson.

Great choice, Dollar.
By CrossedPete
@dollar I haven’t heard of this album till I saw your pic. Listened on YouTube sounds right up my alley, checked the price on Discogs damn it’s pricey. Hopefully it gets reissued one day.
By Mateo Sanboval
A lazy start to the meat of the day.
By texasvinyl
Pete that's a great one!

I made a real low-ball offer on ebay for this and was surprised he took it. another below grade. It doesn't play quite as clean as the Horace Silver, and the music is pretty soft throughout, but it is still enjoyable. Ike's playing is very soft here, a romantic sound. Very smooth throwback tenor sound. His idea to fuse blues with bossa & samba is at least interesting. Probably the most interesting part is kenny burrell, he has several really sweet solos here and nice strumming in other parts, he's definitely the highlight for me.
Attachments
PXL_20210321_021917985~2.jpg
PXL_20210321_021917985~2.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 1714 times
By Dollarhyde
CrossedPete wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:50 pm @dollar I haven’t heard of this album till I saw your pic. Listened on YouTube sounds right up my alley, checked the price on Discogs damn it’s pricey. Hopefully it gets reissued one day.
In all honesty imo the album is a bit of a mixed bag imo, although tracks like 8 ways of love are amazing. I picked this up long before I started collecting lots of Japanese vinyl, didn't know it was at the time. There is a CD reissue with extra tracks from the session, at least one of I can't believe didn't make it to wax.
By Mateo Sanboval
I think Ike Quebec was a star and he was wildly influential behind the scenes at Blue Note. Sadly, he never really received his due during his all too brief lifetime. Soul Samba isn't by favorite Quebec LP, but, echoing Tex's sentiments, there's a lot to admire and enjoy about its ambition and presentation.
By texasvinyl
Nice stuff man. Maiden voyage !

I got this one in today, and I totally get the demand for these MM 33rpm now. This is just a bananas good record. A guy put it up for pretty close to retail and I grabbed it in a hurry. I never did like splitting these up to 2x 45 rpms but man I should have been on that 33rpm train before now.
Attachments
PXL_20210322_212304153~2.jpg
PXL_20210322_212304153~2.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 1671 times
PXL_20210322_212208840~2.jpg
PXL_20210322_212208840~2.jpg (985.89 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Curtis Fuller Sextette - Imagination (Savoy/1960)
Curtis Fuller, trombone
Benny Golsom, tenor saxophone
Thad Jones, trumpet
McCoy Tyner, piano
Jimmy Garrison, bass
Dave Bailey, drums
Recorded at Van Gelder Studio on December 17th, 1959 and produced by Herman Lubinsky. A fine hard bop session. This is a 2015 Japanese repress that is supposedly all analog. It is a dead quiet pressing and in the original mono so maybe so...
By monsterworship
the next small batch from Craft Recordings will be going up this week, i saw a picture somewhere that it was Yusef Lateef - eastern sounds.
By Mateo Sanboval
monsterworship wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:02 pm the next small batch from Craft Recordings will be going up this week, i saw a picture somewhere that it was Yusef Lateef - eastern sounds.
Fuck right off.
By 334578rpm
monsterworship wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:02 pm the next small batch from Craft Recordings will be going up this week, i saw a picture somewhere that it was Yusef Lateef - eastern sounds.
This is official per Craft's Instagram.
2 PM PST this Friday, March 26.