General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
Upgraded a very unimpressive blue note stereo reissue from the early 2010s to this strong VG 2nd press mono. Night and day difference.
Attachments
PXL_20210313_230302656~2.jpg
PXL_20210313_230302656~2.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 1423 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Great spins, Tex and Pete!
By Mateo Sanboval
A great way to start a lazy Sunday.
By CrossedPete
I see my boy is on there I’ll have to check it out.

I got to say I’m still listing Freddie Hubbard and more particularly Red Clay on a daily basis. So much so I’ve been listing to other versions. From the original song Red Clay borrowed from Sunny by Bobby Hebb to various live versions I can find online to Charles Earland’s cover with Mr Hubbard playing on it. It’s so good. For this and all the other amazing recommendations I got to give a big thanks to @mateo for sharing the knowledge. Peace and Love
By Mateo Sanboval
What a absolute star.

Pete, Red Clay is one of the first Jazz albums I spent a lot of time with. As Tex mentioned earlier, the CTI albums could be had for a song back in the day and I took full advantage; I think I own four different pressings of Red Clay. To this day, The Intrepid Fox is one of my favorite songs of all time.
By CrossedPete
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 1388 times
Yeah it seems some CTI albums are fairly easy to find and the price is right. I’ve been lucky to find a few.
By texasvinyl
One heck of a clean copy showed up today, '66 mono. Killer stuff recorded in 53, 54 and 55. Comped from a couple of 10" blue notes.
Attachments
PXL_20210315_182814078~2.jpg
PXL_20210315_182814078~2.jpg (983.19 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Nice one, Tex. She's a beaut!
By texasvinyl
Thanks been on a jay jay kick and also curtis fuller. Who I think must have been a big influence for Dino Piana. And also wrote some damn fine tunes. This Golson + Fuller stuff is just awesome. Currently spinning Gone with Golson. Before that I had on "arabia" another Golson Fuller with lee Morgan, really good stuff.
Attachments
PXL_20210316_032122659~3.jpg
PXL_20210316_032122659~3.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 1353 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Hey now, I've never heard Gone With Golson before, but can confirm that Arabia is a diamond.
By texasvinyl
First Music Matters record. I should have bought some of the others, don't think I realized they were this well done. The jacket and record both, total package.

I hope they do a repress series one day, I don't think they will though. That's too bad, I looked a couple up and they all sell for a ton of money
Attachments
PXL_20210316_175246166~2.jpg
PXL_20210316_175246166~2.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1336 times
By texasvinyl
Blue note spring sale -20%

I ordered six tone poet releases: Chant, Born to Be Blue, Minor Move, The Cooker, It's Time and That's Where It's At.

They come out to $28 each shipped which is a great deal. I have one tone poet release already, they are super nice. Infinitely better than the 75th anniversary reissues, and the packaging is much better than the 80th anniversary classic series. The 80th ones do sound nice but the sleeves are direct board print jobs and nothing special.
By Mateo Sanboval
Music Matters looks pretty done unfortunately. Blue Note is using one of the MM guys, their mastering guy/lathe cutter, and their plant to press Tone Poets. And the BN Classic series is an extention of the 80th series. Both are way better than the 75th, all analog, and very affordable. Sadly, the stoughton gatefolds are only in play on the TPs.
By texasvinyl
Thing that just sucks is MM has at least a trickle of archive stock of these records. I sent a repress inquiry. quickly heard back (like within minutes) with an offer to do me a favor by selling some back stock. Prices ranged from 150 on the low end as a favor, up to 390 was the highest number I heard. A lot were 160-280.

I hope BN broadens Tone Poet to include the A tier titles including the ones they already let MM do. It would be a disservice to the music otherwise! I'm not sure exactly what MM is playing at unless it really is 100% over and they are just having to get every penny they can for the back stock, because let's face it they've got the goods, people want these, and they know it!!!
By Mateo Sanboval
You've pretty much got it sussed, Tex. Blue Note isn't going to step on the exclusivity contract they signed with MM by releasing the same thing for much cheaper and MM is capitalizing on their 45rpm and gatefold releases by charging "market" prices for their existing backstock. The exchange is that the "Classics" series is essentially 33rpm MM releases in a lofi sleeve. That said, don't sleep on the series, theys sound fantastic. There are more pressing issues, but the mixes and cuts are dynamite and they are easier to exchange than an MM would be. Not perfect, but better than the 75th series was offering by a long stretch.
By monsterworship
I have about 18 tone poets, they all sound great. There is only 1 or 2 on the list for this year that I want to buy.
They are supposed to keep them in print, but i have yet to see any restocks on some of the sold out titles.

I have two music matters titles Coltrane's - Blue train on SRX and Lee Morgan's - search for a new land. Both are great.

I wanted to pick up a couple Joe Henderson titles but I'm not paying their additioanal fees.

There was chatter that maybe MM would pick up prestige or another label, but seems unlikely if Craft continues their one step series.
By Mateo Sanboval
I;ve seen some TPs come into stock, but as you say MW, others not yet.
By texasvinyl
I hope craft makes more. They sold so few of those Lush Life, the next release is guaranteed to be a shitshow flipfest. Maybe it's what they wanted. I don't like it, at least for important music. It's a fine model for like collectibles type of releases. Also agree the tone poet need represses like Chet Sings, hopefully they come through. Nice jackets are taking 20+ weeks minimum right now. I saw lush life posted shortly after the pre order went up but they were already gone.
By texasvinyl
It seems like a race to the finish on these 70s represses. I'm trying to fill gaps where I can. I have a lot of byrd albums but still plenty of holes like this great soulful session.
Attachments
PXL_20210317_171031895~2.jpg
PXL_20210317_171031895~2.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1284 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Love Royal Flush, Tex. Nice one.

The buzz is that Craft got exactly what they wanted with Lush Life and on the next one, they will press more and charge more. We'll find out if that's the case sooner than later, but I hope not.