General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Eastman was widely considered a genius my folks that I think a lot of us here listen to like Philip Glass and William Basinski. From memory, he had a very difficult professional life and a tragic death. I think I'll stream this this morning. Great finds, Bez.
By milliondollars
did any of you jazz cats grab Coltrane's 58 set? i have the chance to grab this for about half the price it goes on amazon but i am really not sure if it's worth it. any comments would be appreciated...

By milliondollars
monsterworship wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:23 pm
milliondollars wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:45 am 2019 has been another good year for new jazz! i am thankfull for being able to add some fine pieces to my collection again. this being one of them...Dopeness

https://www.discogs.com/Matthew-Halsall ... e/14160141

20191125_201328_resized.jpg
all the newer jazz cats always with the 2 & 3 LP releases.
haha @monster! you are absoutely correct. all these young cats penetrate the market with big their big ego's (and big vinyl packages...)
this one would have fitted on a 2LP as well with a running time of a little more than 60 minutes.
By milliondollars
another 2019 jazz piece that i dig. fine session and i have a weakness for vibes anyway. the scandinavian jazz scene is on point. there is another record on the Jazzaggression label from 2019, that i did not manage to grab yet, but is sounds equally good: Aleksi Heinola Quintet

so many warm-hearted records that come out of the cold...

***edit***
these Jazzaggression records are really nice as they come with the CD version with bonus tunes. at least the ones that i got lately...

https://www.discogs.com/Ville-Vannemaa- ... e/13769155
20191206_070912_resized.jpg
20191206_070912_resized.jpg (933.37 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
By milliondollars
another heads up...new Wildflower record appeared on bandcamp yesterday, the first pressing (300 physical copies) disappeared after a few hours. today the retail version is available for pre-order for February...

impossible to keep up with all these good releases. please stoooop, haha!
By ChrisMcQueen007
milliondollars wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:44 am another 2019 jazz piece that i dig. fine session and i have a weakness for vibes anyway. the scandinavian jazz scene is on point. there is another record on the Jazzaggression label from 2019, that i did not manage to grab yet, but is sounds equally good: Aleksi Heinola Quintet

so many warm-hearted records that come out of the cold...

***edit***
these Jazzaggression records are really nice as they come with the CD version with bonus tunes. at least the ones that i got lately...

https://www.discogs.com/Ville-Vannemaa- ... e/13769155

20191206_070912_resized.jpg

Cool recommendations, Million! Much appreciated as I really enjoy Finnish Jazz.

„We Jazz“ is a nice label as well, they have combos like 3TM who just released their second album Lake which is great.
By Steve Powder
There's a We Jazz festival in town right now, I went yesterday to watch Muriel Grossmann's spiritual and free jazz. She is inspired by 60's Coltrane and Lester Young. Going to watch another 5 bands today, I'll Considered is one of them, so excited for them. Also I can recommend a record by the We Jazz label, it's a duo with a saxophonist and arguably the best drummer in Finland which is Teppo Mäkynen. I think he does three polyrhythms at the same time on their record, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIAOprm ... nel=WeJazz

also they just opened a We Jazz record store just recently, they bought a Swiss record collectors collection, like 10 000 records and they're putting them in the shop. Yet to go look what's in there but I have heard good things.
By Steve Powder
Oh and Chris i'm watching 3TM today in a couple hours, also excited for them. That jazz sounds killer Million! EDIT I also picked up the Jazzaggression Greg Foat record, it's so good.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Steve Powder wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:27 pm Oh and Chris i'm watching 3TM today in a couple hours, also excited for them. That jazz sounds killer Million! EDIT I also picked up the Jazzaggression Greg Foat record, it's so good.
That‘s awesome, Steve - enjoy!

And thanks for the additional insights on We Jazz.
By milliondollars
yes! that WeJazz label is another little labour of love! i have picked up the 3TM ‎– Abyss release. no jazz at all but a really nice ambient album from the deep...

3TM - Lake seems to be the follow up to this record which takes up the Abyss record. Lake is totally different but i like the idea as there are different rules below the water surface and vice versa.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Yes, the Abyss/Lake concept is an interesting one. I enjoy both albums but prefer Lake as their quality as Jazz combo really shines through (and Abyss is pure ambient).
By milliondollars
just when you think the year is over and it is impossible to get even better, another heavy piece knocks on the door...

i thought this is another great Greg Foat record but it is much more than that! must be his best record since the Greg Foat Group era on Jazzman. fantastic record and if you don't get chills hearing the title track The Dreaming Jewels your soul is dead most probably.

impressive how many great Greg Foar records dropped only in 2019...

https://www.discogs.com/Greg-Foat-The-D ... e/14393897
20191213_193409_resized.jpg
20191213_193409_resized.jpg (635.16 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
By monsterworship
milliondollars wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:40 am Comet Is Coming are well respected. they are on Impulse! for a reason...did not hear the new album yet.
the bf record store day release was great as well as their last full length.
By Mateo Sanboval
There is a MoFi One-Step of Mingus Ah Um. You may now commence freaking out. That is all.
By milliondollars
spinning this since october and i have played it in my car at least 30 times. even my kids recognize it and say "no, not again!" but then i say "...yes, again and again and AGAIN!!". seriously dope record that reminds me of the old Jazzanova/Breaks'n'Bossa parties at the turn of the century. also, it was only £12.99 on bandcamp which makes it the cheapes (new) album that i have purchased in a while. get a copy if you see one!

https://www.discogs.com/Natural-Lateral ... e/14293279
20191118_065854_resized.jpg
20191118_065854_resized.jpg (860.3 KiB) Viewed 4460 times
By milliondollars
this is a lovely under the radar record, that has a jazz and rock tag on discogs but to be precise, i don't hear rock at all. fantastic jazz feel with a funky vibe and great electronic keys. i can hear a lot of Hancock plus early Nucleus. the original Kaleidon group has suffered a unpleasant destiny, with a few members dying in a car accident. this album is the dedication to the deceased group members and their mark in the history of music that will be here forever. Franco Tallarita is one of the group members and he is responsible for the fantastic Alta Tensione library outcome.

the Kaleidon album was reissued two times already but is a unknown gem still. can't judge on any of the reissues but i believe that BFT is doing a good job usually. luckily this is available on youtube in it's full format. highly recommended...

https://www.discogs.com/Kaleidon-Free-L ... se/7951250
20200302_063226_resized.jpg
20200302_063226_resized.jpg (826.24 KiB) Viewed 4397 times