General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By milliondollars
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:31 pm Steve, I saw him live in Iowa City of all places. As Millie says “my brain was gone”.
did i say that? haha...most probably i did...

thanks a lot for the heads-up on the LateNightTales comp. it really reminds me a lot of those fantastic Psychemagik comps from a few years ago. grabbed only one and was not able to catch up but they appear to be really good...
By milliondollars
a very good friend got me this beauty. this is the paste on art print version but other standard versions are available, too. even some more expensive is up for sale. sound quality is not totally overwhelming for my ears but the funkyness of this record is compensating everything! Back Streets Of Heaven is one mighty joint...

https://www.discogs.com/Sounds-Of-Liber ... e/12951628
20190905_064916_resized.jpg
20190905_064916_resized.jpg (808.23 KiB) Viewed 5014 times
By milliondollars
one post for you @monsterworship! your spin motivated me to complete a long time search. i got in touch with a fine gentlemen who had a box of sealed copies. he sent me this picture and it seems as these were copies, that were sent from straight Nathan Davis to Dave Palamer 43 years ago. Dave was the drummer on this album and had this box for a long time, untill he have them to the guy, i have them from. here's a fun picture and a great memory since Dave Palamer passed away this year.

IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG (191.14 KiB) Viewed 4988 times

the album is fantastic, no doubt! this is what i call a proper blend of jazz with funk. my definition of good mood music! after the needle hit the first seconds of the grooves, i already smiled because i immediately heard Pete Rock's sample he has used for Rakim's Living For The City beat, which was my joint in the 90s, haha!

https://www.discogs.com/Nathan-Davis-If/release/1500920
20190906_065708_resized.jpg
20190906_065708_resized.jpg (794.79 KiB) Viewed 4988 times

By monsterworship
milliondollars wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:27 am one post for you @monsterworship! your spin motivated me to complete a long time search. i got in touch with a fine gentlemen who had a box of sealed copies. he sent me this picture and it seems as these were copies, that were sent from straight Nathan Davis to Dave Palamer 43 years ago. Dave was the drummer on this album and had this box for a long time, untill he have them to the guy, i have them from. here's a fun picture and a great memory since Dave Palamer passed away this year.

IMG_0446.JPG

the album is fantastic, no doubt! this is what i call a proper blend of jazz with funk. my definition of good mood music! after the needle hit the first seconds of the grooves, i already smiled because i immediately heard Pete Rock's sample he has used for Rakim's Living For The City beat, which was my joint in the 90s, haha!

https://www.discogs.com/Nathan-Davis-If/release/1500920

20190906_065708_resized.jpg

that's a great picture, i'm curious what that stuff is surrounding the box. looks like human remains, or petrified Cauliflower.
Great record. Now i'm on the hunt for Happy Girl.
By milliondollars
haha! i was thinking the same about the surrounding of the box. looks a little like dinosaur bones or something...

i'm out for Makatuka still. if you see a copy around 30-40€ let me know.
By ChrisMcQueen007
milliondollars wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:53 am this came in lately and i am really happy with it. another enrichment for my musical horizon as the japanese jazz scene is quite a unknown territory to me...

https://www.discogs.com/Various-J-Jazz- ... e/14110299

20190910_213603_resized.jpg
That‘s great, really enjoyed vol. 1, so will be getting this.

Btw just now noticed that the label is called Barely Breaking Even - well, I hope they‘ll stay around. Their pricing is very fair, J Jazz vol. 2 is around €30 here (it‘s a 3 LP set).
By Dollarhyde
@chris
BBE, a UK label have been around for a long time no need to worry ;)

speaking of Japan Jazz these two beasts are now available via deep jazz reality/project re:vinyl

@million
that sounds of liberation is really nice... aaaagghh!!! too many good records to buy!!!
By Bezulsqy
Not sure which now playing thread this one goes. I decided to post it here :-)

It is really good stuff!

By Bezulsqy
milliondollars wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:12 am don't know Taxi Wars but i join you with the fine Buddy Collette record @Bez! so good to see this being reissued! really very busy at the moment so i do not have too much time for records but this gave me the cure over the weekend. such a fine oddity!

https://www.discogs.com/Buddy-Collette- ... se/8278010

20190913_225844_resized.jpg
Of course you have an original :-)
Not sure if you are on Trunks mailing list but the last one had this tidbit in it:
In other news I had a brilliant email this week from Arlene, who actually turned out to be Keith, who has been searching for the Polynesia LP for many years and was thrilled to get it finally on vinyl. Keith filled me in on the murderous side of the LP, but also had some rare info about the origins of the album. Apparently the original sleevenotes are all a bit of sham, and A.I. Grove was a made up person, there were no ancient manuscripts that were translated and it was all new prose written by the producer, who fancied himself a bit as a beat poet, by all accounts. Great story and thanks Keith.
By milliondollars
got an OG of that record. one of the scarcer records in my collection i guess.

wow! thanks a lot for the information @Bez. i am on the mailing list but been too busy to read it. still want to live in the thought that the ancient manuscripts are for real, haha!

***edit***

is it possible to make a snapshot of the Trunk liner notes for me? always enjoy reading them but i can't double dip for now...
By Bezulsqy
milliondollars wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:37 pm got an OG of that record. one of the scarcer records in my collection i guess.

wow! thanks a lot for the information @Bez. i am on the mailing list but been too busy to read it. still want to live in the thought that the ancient manuscripts are for real, haha!

***edit***

is it possible to make a snapshot of the Trunk liner notes for me? always enjoy reading them but i can't double dip for now...
Attachments
3E4D3BD6-81B7-4F02-929D-E52AFC15B622.jpeg
3E4D3BD6-81B7-4F02-929D-E52AFC15B622.jpeg (371.34 KiB) Viewed 4789 times
By milliondollars
thanks so much @Bez!!

really enjoyble but i do not agree with this being the rarest exotic LP.

is it really Robert Sorrels who appears on this record?
By milliondollars
do not know it @Bez, but the audio clips from soundohm sound like nothing else! like taking a walk through the jungle on an exotic island where the canibals sharp their poisoned arrows while playing some tribal folk and prepare for some tasty meal peacefully in the background...
By Bezulsqy
milliondollars wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:01 am do not know it @Bez, but the audio clips from soundohm sound like nothing else! like taking a walk through the jungle on an exotic island where the canibals sharp their poisoned arrows while playing some tribal folk and prepare for some tasty meal peacefully in the background...
I bought it without hearing it but only based on the description. When I listened to it for the first time this morning it was not what I was expecting. But I loved it! Really beautiful and odd.
By Mateo Sanboval
That is a mildly legendary and completely wild LP. Not quite my cup of tea, yet I still find it engaging. Cool to see it pop up here.