General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By puppyguts
I just got mine today. What are your opinions of the album, if any?
By Kaber
Really great album.
Took a few listens to absorb.
Prefer Geogaddi but like that one I'm sure I will still be listening to it in years to come.
By Lawrence
Yeah I agree with the above. I like the fact that it's easy to hear it's BoC but they have changed their sound somewhat and moved a little further on. Nice looking vinyl too. Gatefold, inner bags have decent artwork and all that.
By siforster
I absolutely adore it - liveblogged it when they did the first broadcast last week, did another thing on it last night and am still finding loads of things to get excited by it.
I went into it already as a BoC fan, but one who preferred exposure to them in bits and chunks rather than whole albums as they do tend to require more concentration than I usually have. This one flows perfectly from start to finish.

Signs that I was looking too deeply into it surfaced last night after the penny finally dropped that Palace Posy was an anagram, so spent far too long rearranging Semena Mertvykh until someone pointed out that it was actually Russian. Shame really, as I'd just got Hymen Vest Maker out of it...
By siforster
Ooh - and anyone who bought the vinyl from Bleep and got the mp3 download, pop back into your account as there's now WAV/FLAC versions available instead for your one/zero listening pleasure.
By thenuthouse
I just finished listening to it (I work for a college radio station and the CD didn't show up until this morning), and it's certainly good. Frankly, it lives up to the hype far better than the Daft Punk album. It's been nine years since the last "proper" Daft Punk album, but they've released a soundtrack and a live album in the intervening decade, whereas we've gotten nothing but a remix album from BoC in the same time.

The reviewer on Pitchfork made a prescient comment, in that it seems like it's taken the last decade for everyone's record collections to have caught up with BoC. I'll agree -- while they once sounded totally out there to me, they know have a very timely sound to them. Maybe it's the fact that acts like the xx and James Blake have taken their cinematic sound and ran with it.

While not as cohesive as their earlier work -- existing more like a collection of individual pieces, rather than one grand work -- it's absolutely wonderful. It's a real journey through Tomorrow's Harvest, and one worth taking.
By jonnydub
fantastic lp, loving listening too it
By orbtastic
I pre-ordered vinyl and CD but they went AWOL so I've had to wait for them to send out a second copy. The original CD pressing is sold out now so I've got an even longer wait.

I've listened to it about 20 times though, I really like it.

I read an interview after listening and I'd already heard patches of Escape from New York, Bronx Warriors, Bernard Szajner, Zombi Flesh Easters in there...but now I've read the interview I can see a. what their influences were b. they were totally channeling those things whilst making it.
By siforster
Was that the Guardian interview? That was a really good read, especially the bit where they describe the album as 'palindromic' - not something I'd heard in relation to a record before but it seems like a really obvious thing to do in hindsight.
By MODAREC
Great album, once I start listening I have to stick with it all the way through to the end which is a rare thing with me these days. Just hope they don't wait another 8 years to drop the next one.
By siforster
I'm totally with this - I'm a fan anyway, but I must admit that I do struggle to get from one end of a BoC album to the other in one go as a rule. With this, I can't do anything other than listen to it as a whole.
By orbtastic
Yeah that's right, it was the Guardian interview. It was an interesting read. I went and bought the three books he mentioned off the back of it but ploughing through a Peter Lorre one first and one called development hell about films that took forever to get to the screen (or didn't actually make it).
By tocknet
The hype for this was getting a little silly in my opinion but the Lp is magnificent.

The first few tracks immediately made me think of John Harrison's music for Romero's Day of the Dead - that sort of spooky arpeggio thing going on with helicopters (?) in the mix. Glad to say this influence was acknowledged in the Guardian interview too.

These guys belong here with us...........
By ghostfires
I enjoy it now after a few listens of the vinyl. I was really bored with the digital download version, and I've not listened to it once since. It really is something that has to be appreciated on vinyl, I believe. There are some very dull moments in it that make me wish it was about 15 minutes shorter.

I was a disappointed with the extreme comparisons to John Carpenter music I kept reading in reviews the days before it landed on my doorstep. I don't see much of any direct John Carpenter influence at all.

As for all the hype - it was a cool marketing campaign...better than just throwing it out and saying "hey, remember us!" It isn't as good as the new Daft Punk album, but it isn't too fair to compare anyways...they went in two very different directions.

Overall, not a bad record...much more enjoyable than Campfire was. I really believe though that Pye Corner Audio is doing a much better version of the hazy & faded cassette tape/vhs electronic music than BoC has done here. PCA tends to have greater focus and a message/feeling to relay to listeners...BoC here just found a nice, warm spot in the desert and let us bake & simmer for a while.
By orbtastic
The new Carl Craig one has some nice Soundtrackesque moments on it. The 3rd CD of Masterpiece has 6 compositions on it. I realise this is vinyl only but...
By Mugsey
As a long time fan I think its a great album. Very grim and dystopian for sure but I think that is where the Carpenter etc similarities end.

I certainly don't think it took them eight years to write it though. Maybe two and even that's pushing it. It does seem a little rushed in my opinion.
By Dollarhyde
Awesome LP, much better than I thought it was going to be. Maybe my favourite BOC lp although I've not really given campfire headphase a proper listen.
I think the seven year production is reflected in the LP, each track seems to have it's own nuances and little quirks. I can imagine they were very selective in their choice of sounds for each song e.g. the helicopters in white cyclosa.
By ghostfires
@Mugsey - I agree with you on the rushed part. The more I listen...the more I find to be "filler" tracks, and much less of any substance. I really am not seeing what is so special about this record any longer. I know everyone was so excited at first just to have anything from this mythical group BoC because a lot of us grew up on their music...but with so much really great, impressive electronic music out now...this record just falls extremely flat for me. I have a feeling my copy will be up for sale fairly soon, as it just bores me to where I don't want to put it on any longer.
By fac179
It's great. It's subtle, nothing earth shattering, but it's much better than the previous LP. It definitely fits in with all my soundtrack listening these days. It absolutely slays on vinyl-- it doesn't work on a computer by any means.
By Pitch
They are re-releasing all other BOC output on vinyl shortly - which I'm looking forward too - as I only have CDs. With regard the latest album - I'd say it is up there - but not their best.