General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Spun out of control
Is slowly dawning on me that the soundtracks I spin the most have an 80s electronic feel - think Rob's Maniac score, the Drive sound track, and 'imagined' scores like the Voya3er Doom Fortress LP, Unit Black Flight on the Giallo Disco label... (the one exception to the rule is Orgasmo Sonore's modern take on the Giallo classic scores - but even that gives them a bright and shiny contemporary feel)

Now I know some of the more knowledgable regulars here are into the whole 'synth wave' thing - a modern twist on that 80s sound - recently ordered the Make Up and Vanity Set 88:88 vinyl and snagged a Perturbator cassette (cassette!!) - and sure there must be many more bands and individuals making this John Carpenter meets Miami Vice soundtrack type stuff?

Any recommendations chaps and ladies? ;)
By fluppeco
although not a soundtrack, get Le Matos from Death Waltz, maybe Far Cry 3 OST and soon to come 'The Knock' and hopefuly 'Cold In July' OSTs
By Spun out of control
@ghostfires

Not aware of any of those so far, cheers! Any good vinyl releases on the Italians Do It Better label, apart from the one you've posted obviously?

@fluppeco - last I heard The Knick soundtrack (and possibly Cold in July) were due just before Christmas from Milan Records on vinyl?
By ghostfires
@spun - absolutely everything is great from Italians Do It Better, seriously. I own every single release from the label, it all falls under italio disco, cosmic disco, and cheap night club music. If you want a real Carpenter-inspired sound from that label, check out Symmetry. He released a 3xLP of rejected music from the film Drive.
By Peek-a-boo
Jessy Lanza - Pull my hair back
By Spun out of control
Someone should start a separate thread for ambient/drone stuff if there is not one already on STBC (I guess Haxan Cloak and SunO))) would be included there... discovering a bit of that stuff too)?

Liking the sound of a lot of those synthwave tracks - the less BPM heavy ones that start with an air of menace and gradually build in particular - soundtrack-esque rather than hands-in-the-air clubby
By fluppeco
Yes... Glass Candy, Chromatics, Johnny Jewel, Mike Simonetti very nice stuff and cheap on vinyl. They have tons of stuff under the Italians Do It Better label. Symmetry, their imaginary soundtrack is of the charts awesome.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXx69K8Efdw[/video]
By Purplemule74
Rosso Corsa Records is another spot worth checking out, although they are only doing digital downloads still.

Check out the 88:88 thread on here for more discussion concerning synthwave.
By Purplemule74
@Spun out of control -

That is pretty hard; there are so many great synth folks all of the sudden it is hard to choose.

I would recommend Betamaxx - Betamaxx is on Telefuture.

Betamaxx and bunch of other folks are on a new 88:88 Remix that is pretty sweet. Check it out:

88:88 Remixes

Also, I LOVE Unit Black Flight. If you haven't listened to them, check it out. They are on the Giallo Disco label.
By Spun out of control
Yep I have the Unit Black Flight 12-inch via Giallo Disco and recently ordered a cassette version that has some extra tracks.

THIS ONE

Betamaxx is a great name for anyone indulging in 1980s inspired electronic music!

That 88:88 remix selection mentions a vinyl album beneath the sound clips, but guess this is just existing text referring to the original 88:88 release. Anyway, sounding good - 'A Glowing Light' in particular which was already a stand out for me.
By Purplemule74
...Oh, I forgot to mention Midnight Romeo's album, Le Luxe. That is probably the thing I've listened to the most in the last few weeks.

Midnight Romeo
By Spun out of control
Thanks for everyone's recommendations... this is where this forum really comes into its own, us all discovering stuff that we wouldn't otherwise have known was out there.

Loving the edgier synth wave stuff. At the moment this voyage of discovery feels like an iceberg with just the tip showing...
By VinyLOST
ZOMBIE ZOMBIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By soundtracks of fear
Death Glove - Double Dragon: http://youtu.be/ivesFpboY9c
Discovered this a few years ago hasn't left my phone since, it's a great soundtrack and virtually unknown!
Wish it was on vinyl or even CD.
Good topic!
By Dollarhyde
More on the ambient proggy side of things and only cassette releases but very much 70s/80s synth vibe going on.

https://vcorecordings.bandcamp.com/

run by steve moore and A. E Paterra of zombie.

By Spun out of control
A new release from Giallo Disco just posted up:

LINK

Soundin' fresh!

Or to go by their own blurb:
"REVENGERS OF THE DARKNESS throbs like a robot post-the singularity on a quest for alien sewer sex."

My brain has no idea what that means, but my ears understand.
By Occhionero
The album #Singles by Future Islands has some warm synths in it. My heavy Rotation (non oST) at the moment:

[video]http://youtu.be/GK4lD3Uf8_o[/video]

I like the way the singer moves!
By Purplemule74
Monomer on Telefuture just released an album that kicks (at least from the sample track). Check it out.

Monomer