General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Purplemule74
Hello -

At one point in my life, I had 4 record players, but with the passage of time my higher quality record players finally bit the dust after years of use and now I'm stuck with only one player, a portable Crosley - gets the job done, but not the best sound quality.

I'd like to purchase a new player, but I don't have the cash flow to be blowing a ridiculous amount of money on something like a Denon 100 Turntable. If one of you can afford one of those, please offer me a job...

Anyways, is there a reasonably priced turntable/speaker combo that folks on here are using or would suggest that they think has decent audio quality without breaking the bank?
By Ubik
I'd say try a Rega RP1 or a Project Debut III, these are both well built and very reasonably priced. They compare well to the pricier turn tables and you can always go with a stylus upgrade if you want more detail.

As for speakers, I guess you'd just have to try some. I have a pair of JBL LX2000s that have served me well over the years.
By logicmill
Hi

I have a White Rega 1 with the upgrade kit (cartridge, belt, mat ) that I only used for six months as I was fortunate enough to upgrade to another Rega.

You interested?
By hncreature
I'm the type that is usually doing something...cooking...while listen to records so I traded out a Staton DJ TT for a Denon DP300F...F = fully automatic...with a Ortofon 2M Red cartridge - Nothing worse to me that hearing the end of the record going over and over when I can't get to it to turn it off
By Re-animated Cat
Another shout out for Rega turntables from me. Reliable, affordable and downright awesome.

They're UK based, but if you're in the US then check out Important Records - they stock them and occasionally do special offers etc. It's a great experimental label too, check it!
By chandler75
The only thing about the Rega (I find) is that it's a little difficult to set up compared to some of the other more idiot proof turntables I've had.

I'm constantly having problems with the stylus being too close to the record, so if the record is not completely flat it will occasionally touch the stylus even when the stylus is lifted. This is especially the case with the thicker 180 g records.

I also feel like there is too much pressure on the vinyl because the stylus is so close to it when lowered. I've tried to play around with the counterweight and bias but so far without any luck.
By Re-animated Cat
I know what you mean, but I think it's just a matter of adjusting the counterweight. Which table do you have?
By Abe
Agreed, Rasmus you probably just need to adjust the tracking force - a simple force gauge will sort out the problem (the Shure SFG2 will do the job). I have a Rega P3 and it's a fantastic turntable. Highly recommend it.
By Re-animated Cat
I have a Rega P2 and love it. It's simple, elegant and beautifully made. Though I would like to upgrade to a higher model at some point.
By chandler75
I also have a Rega P2 (the NAD C555i). I hadn't considered a force gauge, but it sounds like a good idea.

I have tried following the manual below, but even though I set a lower tracking weight that the recommended 1,7 grams, it still floats damn close to the record:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/297417 ... e=5#manual
By chandler75
I think the problem might be that the ORTOFON 2M cartridge that I use now is quite a bit heavier than the standard Goldring that came pre-fitted, and so the recommended 1,7 grams are too heavy.

I tried to lower it to about 1,3 and it seems to work. The cartridge isn't so close to the record and I also think the sound is better (might be my imagination).
By rhos
Recently bit the bullet and got a Rega RP6 - a total revelation. I can't recommend one enough, it's a total joy and makes music listening such a pleasure. I never really was a believer in the whole hi-fi hype but the difference in what I can hear compared to my old Thorens is astonishing.