General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
That's fantastic, Deaf. I am looking for some cheap storage right now.
By NathanLurker
There's a couple of similar boxes I can get from multiple businesses around, but I alway feared that the round corners would end up damaging the corners of my LPs. To move one batch from one room to another, it looks useful but otherwise I dont think I'd feel at ease using those for storage. Is there any real risk with these boxes ?
By deafmetal
@Nathan - I think you are correct with the rounded corners on these. On closer inspection, the boxes seem to put too much pressure on the sleeves when it's fully loaded up end-to-end. I was not noticing that when moving a partially filled tote around the house.

Good call though, and I would avoid these for permanent storage, but they seem to work ok for moving/sorting when not fully loaded up. Ah well, always looking for options.
By deafmetal
Nice, that looks perfect. Thanks, Bub! I have never visited The Container Store, but there is one not too far away that I could check out. Great tip.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bub wrote:These work pretty well for me. They're sturdy, they stack (not sideways like pictured on the site but one atop of the other) & the LPs sit well below the lip of the crate so no risk of damaging the top of the jackets. And they're only $13.

http://www.containerstore.com/s/storage ... d=10005526
Hey, Bub, do these comfortably fit the newer, larger gatefolds such as Death Waltz and the like oft put out?
By Bub
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Hey, Bub, do these comfortably fit the newer, larger gatefolds such as Death Waltz and the like oft put out?
Hey Mateo, I just slid DW's main culprits The Raid, Godzilla & Assault on Precinct 13 in there to be certain & yup, no problem on the sides & the top. They sit (standing straight not leaning) just below the top part of the handle's opening while other normal sized jackets reach the opening halfway. May sound crazy but take a few empty jackets with you to the store & test drive it!
By Bub
deafmetal wrote:Nice, that looks perfect. Thanks, Bub! I have never visited The Container Store, but there is one not too far away that I could check out. Great tip.
You're welcome deafmetal! Let me know how it goes!
By chiefbrody
Reviving this old thread as I'm thinking of having a crate for unplayed records, or those I want to revisit soon.

I'm in the UK, and I'm looking for something to store them like in the image below. My concern with some I see, is that they're pictured storing the vinyl like you would in the Kallax, etc (spines out), so I'm not sure if I flipped the crate to store 'record store style' whether the 'bottom' would be a cheap backing board, not designed to carry the weight. Any recommendations?
Attachments
Room_Scene_SQ_966f4e97-9c49-4901-a5ba-94c0283a44a0_1024x1024.jpg
Room_Scene_SQ_966f4e97-9c49-4901-a5ba-94c0283a44a0_1024x1024.jpg (147.48 KiB) Viewed 5866 times
By ScoJo
It's a sad day. Finally realised there are too many crates on the floor, so my gf has gotten me an 8-way Kallax. That will make a dent.
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote:It's a sad day. Finally realised there are too many crates on the floor, so my gf has gotten me an 8-way Kallax. That will make a dent.
After you have filled the Kallax you again have more room to put new crates on the floor!
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:It's a sad day. Finally realised there are too many crates on the floor, so my gf has gotten me an 8-way Kallax. That will make a dent.
Is that the same as a 4x2?
By ScoJo
@mateo -

thats what i meant sorry. new to all dis 'shelving' malarky :-/

I estimate I will ultimately need to score another 4x2 to comfortably hold my soundtracks.
By NathanLurker
One of the local record store is moving to a new location and they got rid of their store's display crates. I got one for 50$CAD, that's a cheap price for what it is. Good deal. the guy even delivered it because I live close to his store, and he helped me bring it to the second floor. Anyway, I'm thinking that's gonna be useful to store the things that move. like new acquisitions and things I'm putting aside to sell, or things I'm putting aside when I re-organize the shelves. Or maybe it's going to end up being my special shelves for important non-ost related bands. I'm not sure yet.
Attachments
20170430_200907.jpg
20170430_200907.jpg (213.99 KiB) Viewed 5538 times
By vi_resmusic
Artists.Numerical then alphabetical.
Then there are the ones that are "out the back" that are multiples in same order. "The Nursing Home" these have had a good life but are elderly and have many health issues. Finally comes "the shame pile".The incarcerated which has no order or love or care or want.
By Hatter313
oh god its happening here too!
By deafmetal
Hey all, I would like to revive this thread to discuss both packing and moving a large collection of vinyl records as well as dealing with longer-term storage of vinyl. I recently dealt with moving house along with my entire collection and it was an ordeal as always. I think I have somewhere around 5,000 LP's and packing them was a challenge as my collection keeps growing. I have moved so many times over the years, including a couple large moves spanning thousands of miles across the US. That is another factor to consider when packing vinyl for long/bumpy rides potentially by third-party movers. Thankfully, the most recent move was only about a 15 minute drive but we hired movers to help with all the large items and packed boxes including all the books and vinyl. To further complicate it, I am a bit more sensitive now to bent/crushed corners on my collection compared to my earlier days when I would stuff as many albums as possible into a box.

1. Packing

What boxes do you use for moving or storage? I previously bought the U-Haul small boxes (they had a picture of a vinyl LP on it), then they had a book box which kind of fit 12" vinyl but a bit too tight (they are too small now), and have now went back to the U-Haul small boxes but I pad out the ends with some 12" mailers to keep them from getting too heavy:

Whatever I come up with the movers are going to stack 3-4 of these on a dolly and not be at gentle as I would like. Anybody tried the BCW boxes? I might order a 10-pack to try out next.

2. Storage

How about long-term storage? Anybody storing boxes somewhere? Do you stack boxes without any concern? I am trying to get all my vinyl out of the boxes that are currently in a storage shed unstacked at ground level before the summer heat arrives. From what I have read, the worst thing to do is expose the LP's to extreme temperature changes very quickly, but they could survive some cold and heat, just keep the moisture away from the sleeves. Any advice or information is appreciated.
By inksb
I don't have anything to contribute but I would be very curious to see what you think of those BCW boxes. I am not planning on moving any time soon but if those are good I may consider grabbing some.
By Hatter313
nothing personal to add either but i may be moving in the next yea or so and this is DEFINTELY something i need to think about.
By deafmetal
texasvinyl wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:01 pm You want these
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/3 ... 65-records

For moving, storage or record shows.

I have my records in storage in heavy duty cardboard moving boxes. Stacked three boxes high. The bottom boxes have all started bowing under the weight. Ultra boxes stack three high no problem. They're worth the $$
@texas - Thank you, that is an interesting recommendation. They are indeed quite expensive, but the sturdiness and stackability are what I was interested in. I do not trust these cardboard moving boxes to stack at all over time without damaging the LP sleeves or worse. How about storage down there in a Texas? Do you try to keep all the vinyl in temperature-controlled storage or just roll with it through the seasons? I am most concerned about condensation/moisture here.