General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Re-animated Cat
Bloody hell, that's a crazy move by Ikea. Time to hoard a couple of Expedits for the years to come ;)
By Whip Wilson
I know I'm late to say this, but damn, jmctodo, that is one fine ahelf, man! Did you have any experience going in to the class? Original design or did you find the pattern somewhere? Damnn fine.
By freshoj
Many thanks!! I took the class a few times, each time making something small before diving into this monster. Before this class, I had never even touched a table saw.

My wife and I came up with the design and I took great care in deciding the min/max divider widths, etc.

I love it, just wish I had a second one now. ;)
By venus sans fur
my house had record shelves built into it and that was reason #1 why I bought it hahaha
By ninjaqutie
@venus sans, those built in shelves are pretty sweet. :)
By ninjaqutie
Hey guys! Went to ikea today to pick up a expidet. Looked at kallax too. They didn't have the size we wanted, but they had the 4x4, so we debated between the 4x4 or the 2x4 kallax. We ended up getting the tv expidet instead. :/ It has 8 cubicles so we still got our 2x4 and the wider look of expidet and my husband was pleased with it. I just couldn't get him quite on board with the 4x4. Anyways, I took a photo of the two and measured the outter rim for you guys in case you are curious about the difference.

Here ya go! Kallax is up top and expidet is on the bottom. :)

By freshoj
nice, fill 'er up and post more pics! 8 cubicles is still a lot of records. :)

and thanks for the comparison pics, very glad to hear there will still be a good option for vinyl storage at Ikea.

I actually have a 2x4 expedit arriving tonight to supplement my homemade shelf - to hold me until I can make a second one someday.

I kind of panicked and bought one when I initially heard they were being discontinued.
By ninjaqutie
Hey guys. We finally got our expidet put together and put a few things on top and on a few shelves. My husband wanted to put knick-knacks on three of the shelves for now. Since our other was crammed full, we spread half of them over here. Now, both look half empty. Well... here she is!!

By reelybored
Looking good
By freshoj
Someone just posted this on my FB timeline (today is my birthday!). He has a nice expedit setup and the vid is pretty funny (and short): The Record Collector

By ravenevermore
Having recently inherited a giant beanbag and obtained a second 2x4 expedit I'm currently setting about creating myself a small sheltered space in the living room which I can hide in, listen to vinyl (on headphones. The main speakers are positioned for sofa listening), read, drink scotch and generally avoid the rest of the world for a while. Will post pictures when it's done. I doubt it'll be as elegant as a lot of solutions but what I'm after right now is comfortable and cosy. :)
By 4000days
Happy Birthday to you jmc!

And @ninja - thanks for the pics! So I guess there were still plenty of the Expidet left? I've been thinking about making a trip to Ikea and buying a couple and just throwing them in my storage unit. I would hate to regret not buying them and being unhappy with the Kallax - I figure if I don't use them eventually, I'll know someone that will want them....

The trouble with Ikea is that if I go, my wife goes with me. I could probably be in and out of there in a half hour and JUST buy what I went in for. With the two of us, it turns into a half-day affair, and we leave with everything from kitchen gadgets to lamps to cookies - none of which we need. Except maybe the cookies.
By ravenevermore
@4000days Generally speaking when my girlfriend and I head into Ikea we do so on a mission and with the self service locations already worked out. The biggest trick is getting through to the self service areas without getting distracted by weird things that you want but can't quite work out why.. (like giant fish shaped pillows)

(P.S. Happy Birthday JMC! Sorry, missed that post when I was typing my reply)
By ninjaqutie
@4000, My ikea was actually quite limited on certain sizes of the expidet. If you are wanting to get a few, I would suggest going soon for the best selection!!
By crazybeats
I checked covers33 and a few music sites I usually buy from, Ebay and Amazon and what I am wanting is 400 gauge polythene sleeves. I have 250 gauge ones just now but they are a bit too flimsy. Whenever I take a record off the shelf it can sometimes pull another record out too or if I'm putting it back it can end up rolling back so then you kind of need to hold the sleeve and push the record back and that is another thing I wanted to point out. The ones that I use have about an inch flap on the end of them. The way I store my records is so that the spine faces me but the spin is part of the opening, it's clearer for me to read and many people store them that way. It also means I can lift the record out a lot of times without even needing to lift the polythene sleeve out so ideally the shorter the better.

You can never trust independant sellers on Amazon but I seen this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinyl-Record-Po ... hene+vinyl

And it's like some of the ones I see on pictures here. The way the flap at the end is short is how I'd like it but I can't really tell if the way they took that photo, they placed the record in the centre just a bit too much, I don't think the sleeves would have that big a gap all the way around. I've bought stuff second hand that came in the kind of sleeves I am looking for but there is no way to trace where it came from. Do you know what I mean? A polythene sleeve that fits a 12" record perfectly and doesn't leave a huge flap at the end. I wont get rid of the ones I have on my albums just now, I'll just use them for the rest of my 12" singles.
By jgibbs4053
Does anyone know what kind of inner sleeves DW use? or a place to order some like these? thanks.
By tim28212
@darrell,, here are some but pricey, you will need to pick them in the drop down and quantity

black sleeves
By dumaisaudio
Has anyone bought a Kallax yet? If so, how are they compared to the Expedit? I'm going to Ikea tomorrow and I'll check them out if they have them up on display. I'm hoping to find some left over Expedits, but I'm not hopeful.
By reelybored
^ this... Will be in the market for one soon as we will be moving and want a nice & appropriate vinyl storage unit. Anyone using the Kallax and care to share thoughts/pics?
By BigMeanPunk
I just recently treated myself to a new turntable and have really gotten back to collecting vinyl (Damn you Death Waltz!!) and I bought a 2x2 Kallax to start with. Really the only difference is that the sides are slightly thinner. Maybe that might make a difference on the big full size ones but for this little guy I should be fine.

I am now just trying to organize what I have before fully loading it up. I will need a couple more for everything I have I just don't know where I am going to put em!

By chandler75
That's interesting. IKEA said the corners would be more rounded/child friendly, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
By reelybored
@bigmeanpunk that actually looks a lot like the Expedits. And yes, i too heard that the edges were more curved for child safety. Still, it looks good
By BigMeanPunk
The inside dimensions are exactly the same as the Expedit.

I need to put a backer on it and I want to install a bumper of sorts inside each shelf so the vinyl sits the same.
By ninjaqutie
The photos I posted above show that the kallax is about a 1/2 less thick around the edges. I didn't get the impression that it was anymore child friendly than expidet and if it is, it is inconsequential. I think they are just saying that as a point of sale to make people go "Oh, okay!" and feel better about giving up the model they know and love.

Totally agree with @Meanpunk about the bumpers in the back to stop the vinyl. I was constantly pulling my vinyl back out because my vinyl would push through when I would put one back (especially once the cube was full). I also have OCD tendencies, so I like them all to be straight. When some would be pushed back and some not, it drove me crazy. My husband tried to glue the wood blocks down first and he SWORE I was breaking them loose by jamming the vinyl in too hard, when in fact I would be sitting watching TV and I would hear the blocks come unglued. Finally, he heard one come unglued himself. Finally, he just screwed them into the wood. I want backs on them as well, but he refuses. :/

On another note, does anyone know of a sleeve for vinyl that the seam on the side isn't so obstructive to reading the title? Sometimes it just pisses me off that I have such a hard time reading some of the titles! I've thought about putting the opening on the title side, but that kind of defeats the point. At least the opening at the top is protected from the top of the shelf.
By incomplet
@ninjaqutie, Try these sleeves.

http://www.clearbags.com/bags/album

They are called Blake Sleeves. Try a youtube search. It was developed by a member of Vinyl Community. Been using these for awhile now. Shipping is killer, though.