General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
Climate control for me and I check them frequently ...

Just had lunch with a guy suing his storage unit place. Guess business got lean and they cut back on pest control. Rats completely destroyed and ate everything in there (no food in it at all). Rugs, boxes of clothes, furniture, bedding. Humidity not so much of a problem here.

I have maybe ten of the ultra boxes I want more. I can actually move them around is the biggest perk. They are the perfect size. The U-Haul are too big, they kill my back to move those.
By deafmetal
texasvinyl wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:53 am Climate control for me and I check them frequently ...

Just had lunch with a guy suing his storage unit place. Guess business got lean and they cut back on pest control. Rats completely destroyed and ate everything in there (no food in it at all). Rugs, boxes of clothes, furniture, bedding. Humidity not so much of a problem here.

I have maybe ten of the ultra boxes I want more. I can actually move them around is the biggest perk. They are the perfect size. The U-Haul are too big, they kill my back to move those.
Ugh, rodents, what a nightmare. I have been checking on the boxes as it has already been a wild spring out here. The most rain in April in over 80 years including the first April snow on the valley floor (below 500' elevation) in that time period as well. Temps below freezing for days but also a couple hot days snuck in. Nothing like some extreme weather events to make it even more difficult. The boxes long-term might be a non-issue as I was able to fit in two more 4x4 Kallax knock-offs in the house, but I still want something better for a future move or storage. I agree with you that the U-Haul boxes are too big which is why I used the empty mailers as filler/padding on the ends. I could not fill the boxes all the way and still lift them. Thanks again for the rec.
By reddye6
I have about half of my collection in boxes -- similar to the plastic ultra boxes but cardboard. Those ultra boxes look nice! Right now, my old-man dream is, after the kids move out, to have all my vinyl on shelves in their old rooms.

I wouldn't want to stack my boxes, but I have them on shelves and a table in the basement, so that helps. However, I did get a very good dehumidifier. In fact, we had one for years, and then it died last summer. It still ran but only as a fan. We didn't realize that it was truly dead until the summer was over; we ended up having to get rid of a few things to mold but luckily the vinyl was fine. I just got a new basement dehumidifier this past week, which I'll be setting up over the weekend. Living in New England, the humidity can be a killer in the summer; I wouldn't store my vinyl in the basement without something to get rid the moisture.
By texasvinyl
Finally got most of the records out of storage, haven't seen some of these for a good while, a few boxes have been in there for like six years. This shelf won't cut it!

I worry about this shelf. It's mounted to the studs which is fine. But there is a ton of plumbing on this wall. Possibly even some kind of manifold I don't really know. Should I put some kind of backing or try to put a sheet of thick plastic sheeting on the back? I figure a pipe burst in the supply line could wipe them out.
Attachments
PXL_20221028_043314511.jpg
PXL_20221028_043314511.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 745 times
By inksb
Some hard plastic between the back of the shelf and the wall will help if it's a burst right in that spot. If those pipes go up to a second floor from there then you're probably SOL because if it bursts above it's gonna come down the wall and go into the ceiling. But it wouldn't hurt to have something water proof to protect them.

That's a massive wall of records. Must feel good to have them out of storage finally. I didn't even know that Phish released that New Years Eve '95 box on vinyl, such a fantastic show. I was a massive Phish fan from the mid 90's to early 00's. I still enjoy them but don't really follow much of what they do these days. Mostly just a Dead head now.
By deafmetal
I am just now pulling the last of the moving boxes from the outdoor shed where they have spent the last year. This shed has no insulation, so probably similar to an attic or unfinished basement for comparison. It's dry enough in the shed but more prone to swings in temperature and humidity. Over the last year, we have logged temps well below freezing and also stretches of weeks at a time above 90-100F. My biggest concern though was the readings from the humidity sensor in the shed that have been creeping up to 70% percent humidity. I have read some bad stories about both damage from humidity on sleeves as well about warping from extreme temperature changes. I think the temperature changes are more from extreme changes in the moment though like people bringing record crates in from freezing temperatures or car trunks into a warm room and opening up the sleeves and finding the vinyl badly warped. I experienced this myself many years ago when I had missed a delivery package and it was left outside overnight in freezing temps and when I brought it inside and opened it up the vinyl was badly warped and unplayable. I have attempted to prevent any of these issues by bringing in the storage boxes and not opening them immediately but letting them slowly acclimate to the warmer (or cooler) house temperature before popping up the box and taking vinyl out of sleeves. The results so far have been great. No warped discs or any issues. In fact, after a full year out in the storage shed, I have not noticed any problems with any of the vinyl. All of them have been nice and flat and the sleeves are in fine shape. As always, results may vary, but this seems to have worked out for me here in the PacNW.
By ScoJo
Great to hear, @deaf. Storing The Precious for that length of time/under those conditions does sound less than ideal and would give me the screaming hab-dabs, but needs must when the Devil vomits in your kettle. Sounds like you were super vigilant and were rewarded for it.
By deafmetal
Indeed, I hate moving but hoping to stay here for a while now. I have been relegated to a smaller basement studio room for the vinyl shelves. I lost most of our existing Kallax shelving to a joined book library which does look great in the larger room. These Better Homes/Wal-Mart Kallax knockoffs I picked up are working out okay but they do have slightly smaller height clearance than Kallax so big box sets like LOTR or Godzilla will not fit.

I am making a second row in here with the 2x8 Kallax that is attached to my desk so something like a small corner aisle to browse. Tight quarters but it sounds good in here.
By inksb
Looks good @deaf!

I think I had the same problem recently, I went to move my Morricone section to the Better Homes shelves and couldn't fit the Dimensioni Sonore boxset on them. So they ended up staying in the Kalax
By deafmetal
I was cleaning up in the very back of the shed and found one more box of vinyl I missed from earlier in the spring clean out, heh. So yet another moving box of vinyl survived another round of baking summer heat. That box had been in the shed from February 2022 until September 2023. I let it acclimate to the house temps overnight and opened it up today. Vinyl and sleeves are totally fine no issues.