General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By freshoj
(seconded!)
By jgibbs4053
They fit perfectly in the plastic sleeves I have
By maxvelvet
@Darrell: which plastic sleeves do you use? Body-bags? :D Really, give us some info, tnx! ;)
By monsterworship
I think they do fit width wise but are about half inch shirt at top.
By Re-animated Cat
@Rasmus: Why do you have 4 copies of The Fog!? Bit excessive mate ;)
By maxvelvet
Unless he owns the 4 versions (anyway too many!) sounds like "flipper alert"! :D
By chandler75
Re-animated Cat: Well... I got my hands on the hazy one and the black one on DWR's "frenzy Fog day". Later Spence announced that a couple of records were still available, and so I grabbed the splatter one. And when the Gold edition was announced, I thought I might as well complete the collection, and I found it pretty cheap on CDWOW. And I'm glad I did. I actually think the Gold edition sounds better than the other versions (and it looks cool).

Oh, and I also have 2 extra Black Fog and 2 extra Haze Fog that I'm saving for possible future trades... :)

By Re-animated Cat
Now that's what you call dedication to the cause! :)
By chandler75
Yes... I'd rather not think about what I've spent on DWR this year... must be close to £1000... I'm telling myself that next year I don't need all the variants. (And so far it's going pretty good. I refrained from getting the vanilla swirl "Assault", and I only got the "Room 237" and "New York Ripper" sub editions) :)
By monsterworship
The Fog is one of the few soundtracks that I have more than 1 copy of: gold / splatter /haze, missing black.
By jgibbs4053
I'm using Vinyl Styl 12.75 x 12.75. The Fog and 2 new DW albums barely fit in, but they do
By jgibbs4053
You can always get great info on storing vinyl from fbook groups. Super friendly and knowledgable.
By repulsion
some of my DIY storing cubes. on top my DIY record cleaning machine.

By freshoj
I know many folks who swear by the Expedit, but I think they are back-less right? this screams 'dust' to me, so I wanted something with a back and reasonably deep shelves. so I built my own at an adult ed woodworking class.

below is a pic before I filled it. the top row is for 10" records, the bottom five rows are for 12". each row is 4' across.

my self imposed limitation is that this will house my 'music from the 20th century' collection. roughly 4' per decade from the 1950's-90's with a small section for pre-war blues and jazz. (sorted by recording date, not genre or artist)

the 12" section has been filled for a few years, so I am in a 'buy one, cull one' type mode. really trying to make the collection all killer and no filler. ideally, limiting the size will allow me to really know my collection and its' music better.

(of course, I have cabinet in the basement for overflow, with a lot of 12" singles and things I can't bring myself to get rid of, but don't warrant a spot on the main shelf. don't tell the wife.)

I store my 21st century recordings next to this shelf in something similar to repulsion's cubes, trying to keep that 4' per decade rule.

blah blah blah, tl;dr...

By reelybored
^^^^ very nice!
By freshoj
thanks! I am pretty proud of it. :)
By reelybored
I only wish I had the skills to make one of my own.
By Mr. Vos
Nice rack jmctodo!
By ravenevermore
I confess I've mainly been lurking on these boards since joining. Nothing personal to the board, just 'life' getting in the way and a number of things had to take a back seat, including the majority of my Vinyl collecting. Taking a catchup browse today this thread caught my eye and noting the continued popularity of the expedit unit I decided to post my tale of recent woe. It might get a bit lengthy so I apologize in advance...

The unit itself is fine. Sturdy, well built, and ideally suited to my small but growing vinyl collection. I bought it upon moving into a new flat with my girlfriend and it was perfect. As time went on in the new home we encountered various problems... it started with damp in the bedrooms, escalated to mould on the walls and leaks through the ceiling and then the discovery that when refurbishing the bathroom they'd left massive holes to the outside world underneath the bath. Guess which furry little visitors decided to invade our home to escape the oncoming winter? Yep.

Traps and poison went down and the problem was brought under control. We continued to argue with the landlord and eventually we gave in and initiated moving procedures which we have now just completed. Legal proceedings may follow.

The real kicker was when packing the Vinyl safely for storage I found I hadn't discovered our furry friends in time. They'd decided a few items in my Vinyl collection would make ideal bedding material. Firstly RSD 2013 release of The Grateful Dead 'Rare Cuts and Oddities 1966', secondly one of Death Waltz Records reissues of 'The Fog'. On both they only chewed the bag which in the case of the Grateful Dead can be easily replaced and stickers transferred. In the case of the Fog however, the one edge of that beautiful screen printed bag is now thoroughly chewed.

The moral to this story?

If you use Expedit and live in an older property (or have a crappy landlord who is trying to escalate his way to 'Slumlord') and run a risk of having furry visitors, consider adding some backing boards to your Expedit units. It's cheap, easily fixed in a pleasing manner and provides a bit of protection to your collection from a whole host of problems.

Now that vent is out the way I'm going to skulk back to the day job, start unpacking Vinyl tonight and hope I don't discover any other little surprises.
By deathwaltz
Want me to send you a Fog replacement over bag?
By ravenevermore
Oh, wow. Er, yes? Yes please? That would honestly make my day. Let me know best way to arrange cost and postage, etc.