General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By orbtastic
I saw this yesterday whilst looking at their website, made me chuckle:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categ ... ls/kallax/

"KALLAX is about 2cm thinner in its outer dimensions, but don’t worry; the shelves still have the same measurements so EXPEDIT inserts and boxes will still work with KALLAX."

Got a question for anyone with one of these, I plan to put one in the box room with books on it (not records), the 147cm x 147cm size and wondered if it would take the weight of a 77cm x 147cm unit on top of it?
By Cloudships
i have one of these propped upright to store my most delicate records. it JUST BARELY holds deathwaltz stuff but is also latchable and lockable
By maxvelvet
@Cloudships: Cool! I have something like this for my seveninches:

Found in a local forniture shop. :)
By Oiche

Spent yesterday varnishing these beauties (with assistance from the cat) and today stacking them with wax. Still playing with the shape but am very happy with the result. Big thanks to my other half's Dad, who may get another wood project to make some bigger cubes to house my turntable and separates!
By Whip Wilson
Oiche, those're looking sharp, sir! I quite like the arrangement as well.
By Oiche
Thanks Mateo! Tried a pyramid first, but this looked better.
By Purplemule74
@Oiche -

To put it simply:

Love the way that looks!
By orbtastic
They look great, nice work.
By djinnocide
That's more than storage, that's a piece of art. Well done!
By The Cult Leader
I think I'm going to get one of these bins from www.lpbin.com
Holds approximately 560 LPs, has a ribbed mat on the bottom, that will hold your Lps in place vertically, excessive leaning will cause your records to warp over time. There a small punch out hole for the bottom, so you can hook up a light to see the records better.
I like being able to flip through my LPs as opposed to having them on a shelf, the way I do now.

Anybody own one of these?

By ninjaqutie
Nope, but I like it. Let me know how it works out for you if you get one!
By dumaisaudio
I'm looking for poly bags to fit Death Waltz releases in. Standard sleeves sometimes don't fit, but when they do it's a real pain getting them in there. I did find some sleeves meant for box sets (the same size as the printed Fog sleeve), but they're actually too big for my taste. I've found a few people advertising larger bags, but they're either too thin (2mm) or not actually larger (I've returned two orders recently). Does anyone have a link to one that they've bought that they know can fit them? I don't care if I have to order 50 or so.
By dumaisaudio
I'm in the US, so anywhere this side of the pond is best. I've got most of my DW releases is standard sleeves and they're tight but fit. It seems some releases I have are just slightly bigger and won't fit though, and that could just be something in production making sleeves be slightly bigger.
By reddye6
With the standalone units that you use, such as the Kallax, have you had any issues or concerns about all that weight concentrated in one place on the floor? I've had this wonder/fear with my CD shelves. They're bracketed to the wall, but that isn't displacing any of the weight into wall studs.
By texasvinyl
I have some drywall cracking and tape & bed issues, also a line down the subfloor where one side is lower than the other.

I am having foundation issues, but this damage is also where I have my largest (and very full) shelf on the 2nd floor.

So I wonder too... Is it all foundation stuff or is it the weight of all those LPs.
By freshoj
My LP shelves are in a second story addition we put on the side of our house a few years back.

At the time I think I estimated the weight of the full shelves at 1500 pounds - and the engineer had us add another beam under this section of wall.

of course, I now have more records outside of the full shelves... :(
By pyrexia
I think bracing is probably a sound move, but foundation issues are normally due to other issues outside of weight. Especially in clay (Texas) soil, you have a lot of expanding and contracting in the soil.
By Little Walter
My wife's getting tired of sifting through my records to find hers, and we're getting a separate, small bin for her records on the side (pretty much entirely Argento soundtracks). The problem is that she wants the space to decorate it and wants to be able to move it around easily. I'm thinking between this and this. Any recommendations?
By Purplemule74
Way steep for my budget, but just saw this nifty little gadget fore record cleaning on Uncrate:

Record Cleaning Machine

By Vapourmeyer
Hi all, i'm looking for a bit of advice and wondered if you kind folk could help. I'm fairly new to the world of record collecting but have so far built up a decent collection with some rarities too and am looking to take more care of my stuff. I currently have all my vinyl stored upright on a cupboard shelf in some fitted wardrobes. The shelf is smooth and the temperature should stay fairly the same throughout the year, maybe on the cool side but I understand this is better than heat right? Anyway, i wondered if i should use those bags of crystals that attract any moisture near the records? Or if having some very slight moisture is actually a good thing. Lastly, is storing records in their original shrink wrap or in the cardboard packing they shipped in bad idea? (I only do it for the doubles). Sorry for all the questions and if they've been asked before. I'd appreciate any advice on this thankyou.
By static14
It sounds like you're doing a fine job of storing your albums. Upright is a good thing, storing them in the shipping boxes isnt an issue and you actually want a bit of humidity because it helps cut down on static. :)
By Vapourmeyer
Cheers Static,

Glad i'm on the right track, much appreciated.
By freshoj
In the very long run, the shrinkwrap will, um, shrink and could cause warping. So, if you want the shrinkwrap, you might remove the records from the outer jackets.

Likewise, in the very long run, cardboard mailers will probably leech chemicals that won't be good for the jackets - so you might want to make sure that you have some safe poly bags or something between the jackets and the cardboard.

hope this helps!
By Vapourmeyer
Really helpful, thankyou for that.