General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Purplemule74
Hello -

I'd like some advice concerning how some of your are storing your vinyl records.

I'm aware of some of the common sense things like keeping your records away from light, heat, moisture, bugs, etc., and I've heard it is better to keep them upright rather than stacking them one atop another. Also, keeping the record inside of a sleeve is important rather than merely putting the record inside of the album cover.

Right now, I have them stored on end inside a closet. Probably not the best way, but the best I've got right now.

Any other ways folks are storing their vinyl that is simple and smart, or for instance is there a certain type of container you might place them in?
By Ronnies-Pockets
You need look no further than ikea for shelving .
ikea

And covers33 will get you sleeves etc.
covers33

Your welcome

Ron.
By Purplemule74
Hi Ron -

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm going to look into Covers33.
By static14
bagsunlimted is great for inner and outter sleeves and I also use expedit shelves from ikea for storage.
By orbtastic
Always store them upright...You would be surprised too how quickly sun can fade colours/covers too so bear that in mind.
By chandler75
I use Expedit as well - they are cheap and have the right size for vinyls. (Note: The inserts with mirror doors look good, but the vinyls will barely fit in if they are in an outer sleeve).

By hncreature
I have the same shelves in the above photo...they are excellent and have yet to see any sagging - They come in multiple sizes also not just the "8 hole"
By Re-animated Cat
Another vote from me for the Expedit shelf.

I have the exact same one as Rasmus Drew. It's perfect - solid and with just enough space to get the records in and out. Another important point is to have dividers between every couple of dozen records, so they don't lean on each other. The Expedit already has dividers built in of course.

The only problem I have is that I've completely filled mine up!

And Rasmus, I don't like the look of those leaning records - get them standing up straight or else risk ringwear!
By chandler75
Haha, you're right, it's sloppy :)
By Mr. Vos
I found these racks at Gothic Cabinet Craft. Real wood that you can stain. I've had a few of them for over 5 years and no sagging shelves. You can stack them or turn them on their side as well.

For the 10" and 7" records I use a cheap Martha Stewart (I know...) shelving unit. It fits them quite nicely.

By Purplemule74
Hey everybody -

Good suggestions all - and thanks!
By Re-animated Cat
@Mr Vos: That is a really cool attic space you have there. Almost like a dedicated vinyl room!
By Mr. Vos
It is my dedicated vinyl room. It's the old hay-loft in our restored barn. I have a 4 year old so no vinyl in the house. There's something like 4,500 records out there.
By Juiceycow
I was just curious if anyone swaps out the inner sleeve on their new (mint) purchases (wth paper / PVC)? (still keeping the original sleeve of course).

I purchased a new copy of Death Waltz 'Escape from NY' from a dealer and the record came in a separate paper sleeve and it made me curious if there was an advantage. Otherwise I'll keep them in the originals with all the nice liner notes etc
By freshoj
I use a new inner sleeve like these:

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper- ... 12nrps.htm

but I am a king nerd.

vinyl goes in new inner sleeve (I especially love doing this with the double LP version of the above sleeve).

orig innner sleeve goes in cover.

cover and new inner sleev go into new outer sleeve (next to each other). opening facing up.

lastly, slip a little notecard with the recording dates on it - so I can file my records chronologically by recording date.

like I said, king nerd. :)

By steffromuk
Hi all,
does any of you know where in London I could find a place that sells LP cardboard mailer boxes?
I know I can find some on E-bay but they're sold by 10 or more and I only need one.

Cheers in advance!
By NathanLurker
Anyone tried thoses ''RECORD STORAGE BOX'' ?
I'm thinking of trying them although it's not in stock at the moment.
By freshoj
I haven't tried them, but they have them at my local shop so I have seen them in person. They do have them crammed full, so they must be structurally sound.
By maxvelvet
Any of you have tried the new DW sleeves with the Expedit shelves? Please let me know if they fit, thanks!! You know...I need enough space for the 2014... :D
By thedeepness
They fit perfect on the expedit. I can't wait until we can get replacement sleeves for all the DW releases. The new sleeves look great on the shelf and stand out above everything else.
By Dollarhyde
They are not that big. My favourite thing about these sleeves are the, what look like, indestructible corners. Which I find is always the first place for wear to appear.
By maxvelvet
@deep: thank you! ;)
By chandler75
Yeah, they look great (my DWR dedicated shelf) :

By freshoj
I'm afraid the postal services don't find the corners all that indestructible. :)
By monsterworship
The one thing I don't like about these new sleeves is that they are too big for any existing plastic sleeves afaik.