General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By vinylyniv
Hi. You may have seen all the Popol Vuh re-issues being advertised:

http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/shop/s ... opol%20vuh

I've heard their name mentioned a lot, but haven't ever listened to their music. Looking for some advice please; which of the reissues would be a good starting point? I'm reading favourable things about Hosianna Mantra. Thanks.
By grumpynorthener
In Den Gärten Pharaos and Affenstude are more electronic the others a bit more avant garde rock
By Ubik
I’ve been a Popol Vuh fan for years. Also looking forward to the vinyl re-issues. Hosiana Mantra is superb, a great starting point, and it’ll give you a fairly clear idea of what Popul Vuh do. Their best stuff was definitely made in the 70s. The 80s output, is a bit patchy. Admittedly many of the albums have a similar sound, so once you’ve heard a few of the landmark albums you’ll know what to expect. Still, it’s utterly gorgeous music and I own most of the back catalogue. You can’t go too far wrong with any of the soundtracks to Werner Herzog’s films. There’s a nice CD box set that collects there which isn’t too expensive. The following are all of high calibre and are essential (in my eyes at least!):

Aguirre (1975)
Letzte Tage - Letzte Nächte (1976)
Herz aus Glas (1977)
Nosferatu (1978)
By vinylyniv
Cool. Many thanks for this both :)