General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
deafmetal wrote:I finally wrapped up a vintage restoration project for the family room:
The 2270 receiver has been in the family for decades, but the 6300 turntable was a replacement for long-lost deck. The goal was to put together something that anybody in the family could use, young or old. I was not gunning for pure audiophile with this effort, and I know they should not be so close together. Marantz is not everybody's favorite, but I like the look of these old wood/metal tanks. Sounds huge, even on my mid-sized JBL speakers. Perhaps a speaker project next...
Beautiful looking setup! I do love the look of the vintage Marantz. Great work!
By hncreature
Does anybody use a TT mat UNDER their TT or has bought another set of "feet" to prevent rumblings getting to the needle - How about under their floor speakers? I'm on hardwood floors in a smallish room and when I turned up the volume I'm pretty sure it was making a difference - Thanks!
By Pain_Bubbles
I'm not sure what you mean by "hardwood floors": If it's just decorative planks on a concrete floor, chances are you are not going to improve much with stuff underneath your turntable. (Most vibrations will be airborne in a scenario like this, nothing you can do about that really)

If however you are talking about a "real" wooden floor, where the actual structure of the floor is wood, no concrete involved, you can get substantial benefits from wall-mounting your turntable. (Dedicated , often expensive mounts are available, but a few sturdy brackets and a nice solid plank should function just as well)

There are also people who build a "sand-box" for their turntable, and I've even seen people using partially inflated inner tires underneath their turntable, but that's not something I'd reccomend.
By hncreature
I'm on real deal hardwood floors...no concrete here - Funny you mention the wall shelf...that was my first thought but figured it would be a last resort - I've seen the Pro-Ject's $650 and $350 sandbox answers...ouch! Reading up on IsoNode Pro Anti-Vibration Feet to see if these may help...so far it has been pretty positive - Thanks for the reply Pain_Bubbles
By Pain_Bubbles
If you have real problems with your floor, such as skipping or audible noise when walking around, or severe low frequency feedback when playing loudly a few rubber feet are not going to help, and might even make the problem worse by destabilizing your turntable. (Making it even more prone to the vibrations coming from the floor -> furniture)
In a case like this I'd go straight for the wall mount, doesn;t have to be anything fancy: A nice thick piece of wood and a few solid brackets will probably be cheaper than a branded wall mount, and might even look nicer too if you don't dig the industrial "black steel" wall mount.
(There are stores that sell all sorts of brackets, from modern too classic looking)
If your walls are solid enough you could even wall-mount the furniture your turntable is standing on now: I've suspended an entire Ikea 2x4 expedit filled with records by drilling a shelving system onto the wall and basically putting the Expedit on top of it: at 15 cm from the floor you can't see the brackets it is standing on and it appears to be floating.

If it just minor issues you are having, and you have one of those modern turntables without suspension and with spiked feet underneath, replacing the spikes with rubber feet could certainly help.
By hncreature
I looked up some wall mounted TTs last night and yes...all types to say the least...and some great DIY articles about them...I think I found the answer - Thanks again Pain_Bubbles...appreciate the replies!!!
By skeletonbutt
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by skeletonbutt on Tue May 16, 2023 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By EvanCampbell
Hope everyone is having a great holiday time!

I was dead set on getting a Clearaudio for my next Turntable...either the concept or the performance but damn it all I had to see this Denon DP 1200 with this gorgeous Veneer. This fellow in Germany does these beautiful, one of a kind restorations.

was a bit worried about the shipping but the packing was a work of art

One of my all time favorite turntable made even better!
Last edited by EvanCampbell on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Mateo Sanboval
Evan, that's a beautiful table, sir. I, too, am haunted by the 6300, but it's just not a necessity (or in the budget) right now.
By Steve Powder
hncreature wrote:Does anybody use a TT mat UNDER their TT or has bought another set of "feet" to prevent rumblings getting to the needle - How about under their floor speakers? I'm on hardwood floors in a smallish room and when I turned up the volume I'm pretty sure it was making a difference - Thanks!
Hi,

this article might interest you. http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

It's a sound engineer talking about vibration control for your audio system. I'm recommending people reading this article left and right on the interwebs, it's honestly the number one improvement i've done for my system. It's about bicycle inner tube positioning and roller blocks. I got a 50x50cm spruce platform and under a 20" inch bike tube under my turntable. And the tube is very minimally inflated so you get the most out of it. Also thinking bout buying roller blocks from ingress engineering and putting them under my turntable. And honestly the bike tube thing is really easy to do and does a lot for your system.
By static14
Let's necro this thread. :)

We'll be moving in a few months so the way things are situated will be changing. Likely gonna replace the two 1x expedits with another of the big 4x4 (i think they're now kallax).

By Mateo Sanboval
Static, that is basically how I imagined your space would look. Beautiful, mang. Nice work resurrecting this thread by the bye.

Would folks be cool with listing their gear when they post pics in here? I know I'd love to geek out about what my fellow STBCers geek out on.
By Bezulsqy
@Static
That looks superb. Are those electrostatic speakers?
Would also love to see the list of gear you have.
Envious of your listening room. Love the amount of free space.
By static14
@Bez the speakers are Magnepan MMG's (planar magnetic) they sound amazing :) One of these days I'll move up the chain to a larger pair.

Sl-1200MK II, litz rewired arm, KABusa damping trough, isonoe feet, KABusa turret board (replaces the psb under the arm) , vibrostop platter mats, curently a Nagaoka MP-500 (my lomc is in for warranty repair)

Parks Audio Budgie phono stage and a Parks Audio Cinemag SUT when running a lomc cart
Emotiva USP-1 preamp
Linn lk280 amplifier
Magnepan MMG speakers

RTR = Akai GX-630D
MD = Sony MDS-JE500
CD = Sony DVP-NS900V
Cassette = Denon DRS-610

I think that's everything :)
By Bezulsqy
@ Static
That is one hell of a setup. Everything an audiophile needs me thinks. Would love to hear how those Magnepan's sound. I have no idea at how different they would sound opposite conventional speakers. How are the lows?

I'll post some pics of my setup(s). Just got a new one thanks to my girlfriend. You will see later on why she is the best!
By static14
@Bez they are much more detailed and realistic sounding than conventional box speakers. Voices in particular are stunning. Bass wise they go down to around 50hz but I run them without a sub and don't feel like I'm missing much.

The nicest thing about them is that they aren't crazy expensive. I seriously doubt you could find a better set of new speakers for what the MMG's cost.
By Bezulsqy
static14 wrote:@Bez they are much more detailed and realistic sounding than conventional box speakers. Voices in particular are stunning. Bass wise they go down to around 50hz but I run them without a sub and don't feel like I'm missing much.

The nicest thing about them is that they aren't crazy expensive. I seriously doubt you could find a better set of new speakers for what the MMG's cost.
Will look into them at one point. At the moment I have to make do with this. And believe me when I say I am not an audiophile. I do love the design of vintage electronics.

My main listening room:

Main set:
BeoGram 4004 with an MMC 20EN
BeoMaster 2400.2
BeoCord 9000
BeoVox S75

Second set:
Technics SL1810 with a cheap cartridge
Cambridge Audio 651p
cheap Onkyo A/V receiver
Grundig Audiorama 8000

and a Bandai 8 Ban portable record player for those 3" discs

Another set close to my workspace:

NAD 5320 CD player
JVC KD-A2 tape deck
Pioneer SA-5500II
Pioneer CT-F4040

And since Sunday with thanks to my lovely girl who made this happen:

The complete BeoSystem 8000 with matching cabinet.
BeoMaster 8000
BeoCord 8004
BeoGram 8000 with MMC 20CL
BeoVox MS 150.2

By static14
skeletonbutt wrote:How much power do they need? I have a vintage '70s monster receiver that's 125wpc. How flexible is room placement?
They like power. They're 4 Ohm. I'm driving them with 160w per channel at 4 Ohm.

That being said i've heard of folks driving with with far less (and far more) and having good results.

As far as placement they like to be about 3 feet from the wall behind them and toed in toward your listening position.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bez, those pics of your setup are awesome. Is that new listening room in the same house or did you move?