General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
Joe armon Jones - starting today. On brownswood label. I see Ezra collective in that pile, so you're sure to like it.
By Mateo Sanboval
Brownswood has some fine records. I have enjoyed the Bubblers series.
By milliondollars
for me quite the best jazz(y) album from 2018. also this must be the record that i have been listening to the most this year. i would say +40 spins so far. when i heard it for the first time, i immediately ordered two more copies which is something i usually never do. kind or reminded me of listetning to Yesterdays New Quintet in the early 2000s.

this discogs review puts it quite well: "How fuckin' good is this! Seriously, anyone with an interest in, or love of modern/experimental jazz should be all over this.Nice sounding pressing and solid jams from start to finish...."

if you did not spot this yet, do yourself a favour and spot it NOW!

https://www.discogs.com/James-Creole-Th ... e/11991591
Attachments
20180809_063855_resized.jpg
20180809_063855_resized.jpg (687.98 KiB) Viewed 5382 times
By ChrisMcQueen007
@Million: Great recommendations, thanks! Enjoying both albums on digital right right now and have put these high up on my wishlist.
By Steve Powder
Just curious @Million where do you get to know these new jazz releases? I would love to know. I only know Resident Advisors recommended releases for techno and other things though, like it a lot. Oh and librarymusicthemes is great. The broken beat stuff is sold out?
By Mateo Sanboval
milliondollars wrote:finally had some time to sort these on the shelf. these are my jazzy jazz acquisitions from the past (+/-)12 months. (have skipped the very recent stuff, like the new Ill Considered or James Creole Thomas for the picture.)

what have i missed?
what have you missed?
20180723_064043_resized.jpg
20180723_063312_resized.jpg
Hey, Millie. Which LP is in the top row, second from the right?
By milliondollars
@Steve: good question. it feels like these find their way to me automatically sometimes, haha! but seriously...some of them i spot randomly, some of them are recomendations from friends. it is not easy to spot all the new stuff, especially the new artists with all their limited pressings...

@Mateo: these are the Expansions. a really big recommendation of mine. totally unknown to the most. the sound is very similar to the outstanding Vels Trio album from last year, which might be my favourite jazz LP from 2017. you got to check these out man. it's good for you!
By Mateo Sanboval
Thank you Millie. Sounds good. Vels trio is a fine fine LP. That Alfa Mist was one I missed until a friend played it for me earlier this Summer. Man am I bummed I don't have it in wax. What a great record.
By Mateo Sanboval
Not gonna lie, James Michael, you got me with that Harlem Bush Music, but you GOT ME with that 24 Carat Black LP. So, so fine.
By Dollarhyde
Agreed, solid bangers

A few recent jazz gems I've spun recently.
Attachments
IMG_20180825_103004.jpg
IMG_20180825_103004.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 5198 times
IMG_20180825_094701.jpg
IMG_20180825_094701.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 5198 times
IMG_20180825_094439.jpg
IMG_20180825_094439.jpg (852.57 KiB) Viewed 5198 times
By Jimmy_Mike
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Not gonna lie, James Michael, you got me with that Harlem Bush Music, but you GOT ME with that 24 Carat Black LP. So, so fine.
Matthew, these Jazz Dispensary collection slabs really are good stuff. Here's another:

By Mateo Sanboval
Now that's a hot tip. I've never heard of these cats before.They have Vibes of Truth up there! Damn. Now I need to find a list of stuff they've released.
By Mateo Sanboval
@James Michael - One thousand thank yous, amigo.

@Dollar - That Charles Earland cover is fantastic.
By Mateo Sanboval
Dollarhyde wrote:@mateo the cover alone was worth the £1.50

Found this nice live footage of the dive pike set off of the mps lp I posted, really great ingfried Hoffman Hammond solo

https://youtu.be/8mQXOS7AOWk
That is a fun song. I'd listen to more of that.
By abedunk
Thanks @Jimmy_Mike for the Jazz Dispensary store link! I've got a bunch of the comps, Vibes of Truth & Funk, Inc - just picked up Pucho & Latin Soul Brothers + Rusty Bryant's Fire Eater....FREE shipping for 2+ LPs!

Also just received the new Robert Walter & 20th Congress LP Spacesuit in the mail today (hits stores in 2 weeks), some tunes are right up that dark & mysterious OST alley. Recommended! https://robertwalter.bandcamp.com/
Attachments
spacesuit image.jpg
my copy of the vinyl is a much more subdued, darker shade, about half this much red - sounds fantastic.
spacesuit image.jpg (124.24 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Nice one, Abe! I first saw Robert Walter on the Money Shot tour, but I lost track of him somewhere along the way. Glad to know he's still doing his thing and doing it well.
By NathanLurker
new pre-order from WE RELEASE JAZZ :

WRJ004LTD
Stuff Combe
Stuff Combe 5 + Percussion
Pre-Order

We Release Jazz is very happy to present its fourth release (following Ryo Fukui’s Scenery and Mellow Dream and Le Cercle Rouge’s soundtrack by Eric Demarsan), the official reissue of 1974’s Stuff Combe 5 + Percussion, a hard to find soul jazz jewel from a cast of illustrious jazzmen led by glorious Swiss drummer Stuff Combe. The limited edition 180g vinyl LP is mastered at half speed, cut at Emil Berliner Studios, housed in a black and silver Stoughton tip-on sleeve, and comes with liner notes.

Recorded in Geneva, Stuff Combe 5 + Percussion finds Stuff Combe conducting an all-star ensemble consisting of Bob Jacquillard on bass, Francy Boland (The Chet Baker Quintet, arranger for Count Basie, Benny Goodman and the list goes on) on piano and electric piano, bebop and hard-bop legend Benny Bailey on trumpet, and Tony D'Adario on saxophone. The sessions ooze with funk, spaced out sounds, breathtaking solos, and moments of absolute collective wizardry. It’s soul jazz at its best with sci-fi and bossa excursions!

Born in Bern in 1924, Etienne Stephen Jean Gustave "Stuff" Combe had a wonderfully prolific career, playing all over Europe and the US and working with Buck Clayton, Bill Coleman, Stan Getz, Kenny Clarke, Oscar Pettiford , Art Taylor, Dizzy Reece, and Lucky Thompson just to name a few. He passed away in 1986, leaving behind a legacy that cemented him as one of the most important musicians in the history of Swiss jazz.