General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Have noticed more and more releases are coming accompanied with an even more limited 'test pressing' run... usually at a premium price, or at least a couple of quid extra.

This is just in the last couple of months, but is obviously catching on.

Now, I have been tempted to buy a couple myself recently - Slasher Film Fest because the Haunt Love artwork was great and another from Lunaris because I wanted to spin it a couple of months before the 'proper' release... plus I'll admit that some of the hand made artwork (Manos etc) has its low-tech charm.

It does seem to have quickly become the norm rather than the exception however with sometimes up to 30 'test pressings' for sale. Am on the fence about whether this is giving the fans something 'extra' or just more hype around a release

Personally I really liked DeathWaltz's gesture last Christmas of bundling random test pressings with fresh orders, but now it does seem to have become something of a commodity

Just wondered what the appeal was for those or you snapping them up, or, conversely, the labels producing 'em?
I grabbed a test pressing of NOTD. Partly because I preferred that art to the standard release but the big reason for me was getting the album a good bit before the standard release came out.

In theory the test pressings should be the best sounding albums in the run because they come off of brand new stampers and they're usually on black vinyl.

I don't mind the trend because for the most part it's a simple way for these small labels to make a few extra bucks off of albums they have laying around.
When I first started collecting punk & hardcore records in the early 90s, there were always limited test pressings versions and weird one off covers. Typically because bands are going on tour and they need a small run to take with.
It's a fun way to make a more unique packaging. Most of the tp stuff I do is hand made, so it would be tedious to make a lot.
Also I want to use it to raise funds for other projects, the amount of time and effort that goes into them is definitely not recooped in the price. It's a labor of love.
Like the wooden covers I did for witchboard I hand screened each side and sanded and put 2 or 3 coats of varnish on each one, $25 barely covered material costs.

I will continue to do it regardless if it is now a "trend", but I know a lot of the other labels doing it come from the same background so I get it.