Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
maybe a stupid or strange question...

I loved the movies the Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 but I never really paid a lot of attention to the scores. I see that OG Varese pressings of these are hard to find and very expensive. If one would be able to get a copy of these for let's say 150-250 euro a piece... That sounds like a enormous amount of money. And because of scarcity and demand it might be worth that or more... but is it worth that much because the score itself it that good?

I paid a lot more for a first pressing of Morricone's L' Uccello Dalle Piume Di Cristallo but that score is absolute brilliance. According to me at least.

So my question: how much is an OG pressing for The Evil Dead worth to you? And in the end to me?
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:38 pm maybe a stupid or strange question...

I loved the movies the Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 but I never really paid a lot of attention to the scores. I see that OG Varese pressings of these are hard to find and very expensive. If one would be able to get a copy of these for let's say 150-250 euro a piece... That sounds like a enormous amount of money. And because of scarcity and demand it might be worth that or more... but is it worth that much because the score itself it that good?

I paid a lot more for a first pressing of Morricone's L' Uccello Dalle Piume Di Cristallo but that score is absolute brilliance. According to me at least.

So my question: how much is an OG pressing for The Evil Dead worth to you? And in the end to me?
An easy one for me Bez - Evil Dead is worth it, because I genuinely love that score and it evokes huge feels. The fact the Loduca doesn’t want it reissued adds to it’s scarcity and the LP pressing’s uniqueness - it’s a very sought after object. All of the revisionism and rescores are fine fine fine (I personally never want to see the version of the film with Loduca’s new music) but I am all in on the original. It’s a record I will never part with.

Having said that - if you have ‘never really payed attention to the score’, perhaps it’s not such an important one for you to obsess over/consider dropping big coin for? Why not have a listen on YT and see how it grabs you?

Evil Dead II is a really fun score and as much as I really love the film of course, I feel like the original pressings aren’t nearly as pricey and rare as ED so should be gettable if you keep looking/are patient.
By ScoJo
One of these shady boot/record clubs should knock out an Evil Dead edition. Just saying.
By ScoJo
I just looked at discogs prices for the Varese Evil Dead 2 - sweet Jeebus, that’s shot up!! I’ll be honest, the TER has better front sleeve imho and can had waaaay cheaper
By horrorfromthetv
ScoJo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:40 pm One of these shady boot/record clubs should knock out an Evil Dead edition. Just saying.
bruce-campbell-groovy.gif
bruce-campbell-groovy.gif (903.23 KiB) Viewed 585 times
By inksb
I've come to terms with the fact that I may never own the first ED score on vinyl, I have zero interest spending $300+ on a copy. As for ED2 I picked up a copy about a year and half ago for $70 I think? That does not seem to be the price these days. Wild it's up so high.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:22 pm I just looked at discogs prices for the Varese Evil Dead 2 - sweet Jeebus, that’s shot up!! I’ll be honest, the TER has better front sleeve imho and can had waaaay cheaper
I have the TER, its my favorite film poster ever and getting an OG of the UK quad is a tough ask so that will have to suffice ( i want the VS also because of course i do)

It is the 36th birthday of Evil Dead II today actually. I know this because it is mine as well.
Last edited by Hatter313 on Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:25 pm I've come to terms with the fact that I may never own the first ED score on vinyl, I have zero interest spending $300+ on a copy. As for ED2 I picked up a copy about a year and half ago for $70 I think? That does not seem to be the price these days. Wild it's up so high.
Last year...or maybe '21, whenever it was we all started VS' hunting like crazy for a while, i pulled the trigger on one. I know i spent more on it than i've ever spent on a record, i know it was still a deal...but you know what, i don't remember the actual number, i just remember that i have it here and its such a great listen.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:59 pm
It is the 36th birthday of Evil Dead II today actually. I know this because it is mine as well.
Happy bday!

By ScoJo
Three days before my own sir! Belated chin chin :)
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:48 pm
Three days before my own sir! Belated chin chin :)
Thanks both, and an early one to you ScoJo!