Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

I want to get a copy of this Ennio Morricone soundtrack: L'Istruttoria È Chiusa: Dimentichi

https://www.discogs.com/Ennio-Morricone ... ster/48167

There are different (and all very affordable) versions from the labels I put in the subject. I prefer the old Dagored cover but of course the one that sounds the best should be the one to be had.
I have a couple of the older Dagored releases and they sound perfect to my ears. Although I don't remember now which ones are on heavy 180g vinyl and which ones aren't.

Mov has a great reputation. Can't really fault that one I think. But if the Dagored sounds sort of the same I want the Dagored.

How is Contempo? I see they have a couple of interesting re-issues but I don't own any records of them.

While I type all of this I am thinking of simply getting the Dagored :-) But anyone else have an opinion that can shed another/better light on this?
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:05 pm I want to get a copy of this Ennio Morricone soundtrack: L'Istruttoria È Chiusa: Dimentichi

https://www.discogs.com/Ennio-Morricone ... ster/48167

There are different (and all very affordable) versions from the labels I put in the subject. I prefer the old Dagored cover but of course the one that sounds the best should be the one to be had.
I have a couple of the older Dagored releases and they sound perfect to my ears. Although I don't remember now which ones are on heavy 180g vinyl and which ones aren't.

Mov has a great reputation. Can't really fault that one I think. But if the Dagored sounds sort of the same I want the Dagored.

How is Contempo? I see they have a couple of interesting re-issues but I don't own any records of them.

While I type all of this I am thinking of simply getting the Dagored :-) But anyone else have an opinion that can shed another/better light on this?
Contempo pressings can be pretty rough in my experience, so I'd advise against taking a punt on that (their pressing of Minesotta Clay is by far the worst modern OST reissue I've ever heard - it genuinely sounds like a 92kbps mp3 straight onto wax). Dagored are generally pretty good, but you can bet your ass that the MOV sounds the best of the bunch. Just sayin.... ;)
So we are preferring a coloured MoV release above a black Dagored.
What is going on here :-)

But yes, most MoV releases cannot be faulted but some Dagoreds can. I am still going for the Dagored I think. And I am taking all Contempo releases of my want list...
I have some black vinyl Dagored pressings from the early 2000's that are just terrible quality. Things seem to be improved a bit in the 2010's-current, but you will find complaints on audiophile forums about modern Dagored pressings as well (audio quality, warped vinyl, etc.). I have yet to receive a bad MOV pressing even on color vinyl. The other part of the discussion is about source material. Many comments about MOV using digital sources for everything for better or worse. The Italian labels have notes here and there about access to master tapes for certain releases, but also some obvious straight-from-CD (or worse?) source rips for many other albums. The mastering quality of some labels has been called out before for certain releases for either the source material being poor or just the mastering for vinyl was not done well on some of these albums.

Some disclosures: I am not an audiophile and I still buy Dagored releases.