Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By zuko
Great thread, and some great picks from ScoJo so far.

Got to give some love to TRON: Legacy, just scraping in from 2010. As awesome as the score is anyway, I will also always fondly associate it with the absolute roller-coaster of a thread on here when some long-sought-after original copies were discovered in the US (before it got repressed).

By ScoJo
zuko wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:00 pm Great thread, and some great picks from ScoJo so far.

Got to give some love to TRON: Legacy, just scraping in from 2010. As awesome as the score is anyway, I will also always fondly associate it with the absolute roller-coaster of a thread on here when some long-sought-after original copies were discovered in the US (before it got repressed).

Hear, hear! ^
By monsterworship
ScoJo wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:09 pm
zuko wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:00 pm Great thread, and some great picks from ScoJo so far.

Hear, hear! ^
One of the best. I finally just grabbed a numbered copy online in the 40 dollar range was so pumped. I'll keep both.
By tim28212

ahhh yes, I remember that roller-coaster well. Mine and someone elses payment got refused. The one and only time my paypal payment didn't work. I was super upset. I finally got mine 4 or 5 months later after they reached out to me saying they still had copies available.

What a ride!
By Tron4Life
If I had to pick one, I'd name Daft Punk's Tron Legacy. Problem is that I must have played it 50 times while jogging in my student years. Nowadays I refuse to play it. I got exhausted with that kind of music.

It's still one of my most precious records. It got me into film music, first to other electronic artists like Zimmer, and eventually to all major film music composers out there: Barry, Goldsmith, Morricone and Williams.

Nowadays I prefer orchestral scores over the electronic ones. Thanks to Tron.
Last edited by Tron4Life on Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By zuko
Tron4Life wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:36 pm It got me into film music, first to other electronic artists like Zimmer, and eventually to all major film music composers out there: Barry, Goldsmith, Morricone and Williams.

Film music is such a great way of getting into a wider world of music. Next stop, the late-19th/20th century composers. Strauss, Dvořák, Stravinsky, Wagner…
By zuko
I'll throw in Dean Wareham & Britta Phillips’‎ work for Mistress America (2015), which is a lovely little score of New Order-sounding synth-pop and new wave instrumentation.

By maxlevel
zuko wrote:
Tron4Life wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:36 pm It got me into film music, first to other electronic artists like Zimmer, and eventually to all major film music composers out there: Barry, Goldsmith, Morricone and Williams.

Film music is such a great way of getting into a wider world of music. Next stop, the late-19th/20th century composers. Strauss, Dvořák, Stravinsky, Wagner…
Exactly! Never would have listen to Penderecki without the Shining

My top 10 of the decade:

The Conversation - David Shire - Trunk - 2018
Akira - genio yamashurogumi - Milan - 2017
Shogun Assassin - wonderland philharmonic - one way static - 2016
Prisoners - Johann Johannsson - Milan - 2013
It Follows - Disasterpeice - Milan - 2016
Hell or High Water - Nick Cave and Warren Ellis - Milan - 2016
Under the Skin - Mica Levi - Milan - 2014
Cannibal Holocaust - Riz Ortolani - One way static - 2015
The thing - Ennio Morricone - waxwork - 2017
Birdman - Antonio Sanchez - Milan - 2014

Surprising amount of Milan records there. Honourable mentions to Martinez for Neon Demon and waxwork’s ... of the dead series. And Portal by aperture science laboratory on Mondo.
By Hatter313
I don't know if i could do this. but lets give it a whirl. list subject to change as I think more and in no particular order, OST only.

Akira - Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Milan
The Visitor- Franco Micalizzi - Mondo
The Witch - Mark Korven - Milan
Nosferatu - Popol Vuh - Waxwork
Stephen King's IT - Richard Bellis - Waxwork
The Beyond, Composers Cut - Fabio Frizzi - Cadabra
Anthology - John Carpenter - Sacred Bones
Day of the Dead - John Harrison - Waxwork
The Fog - John Carpenter - Death Waltz
Assault on Precinct 13 - John carpenter - Death Waltz
The Keep - Tangerine Dream - Blow Out
By inksb
moved the post over to a more appropriate thread :)
Last edited by inksb on Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hatter313
oh hell..Lizard in a Woman's Skin is one of my all time favorite DW releases, how did i not think of that, the main theme is a top 10 Morricone jam of all time or me.

That whole run of super thick canvas board releases he did, LIAWS, Godzilla, House of the Devil, and City of the Living Dead are all incredible releases, man that was a good year haha.

SOTN might replace something on my list too.

Yeah I don't think i can reasonably settle on my list at all. haha
By inksb
You're probably right @monster. lol. back to the drawing board. At least Mandy get's to stay :)
By chiefbrody
I'm interested to see so many mention Hell or High Water. I consider myself a big fan of Cave & Ellis's scores, but I've not picked up HoHW yet. Sounds like I've been making a big mistake. Enjoyed the film well enough.
By ScoJo
chiefbrody wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:19 pm I'm interested to see so many mention Hell or High Water. I consider myself a big fan of Cave & Ellis's scores, but I've not picked up HoHW yet. Sounds like I've been making a big mistake. Enjoyed the film well enough.
Me neither cheif, and I'm equally a huge fan - but if Im not mistaken, wasnt that LP half source songs/soundtrack? And tbh I don't recall the score at all.
By chiefbrody
That's what I thought too Scott, similar to Lawless, I think. That's held be back from both, and I don't even have some of their full scores (Mars springs to mind).
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:52 pm
chiefbrody wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:19 pm I'm interested to see so many mention Hell or High Water. I consider myself a big fan of Cave & Ellis's scores, but I've not picked up HoHW yet. Sounds like I've been making a big mistake. Enjoyed the film well enough.
Me neither cheif, and I'm equally a huge fan - but if Im not mistaken, wasnt that LP half source songs/soundtrack? And tbh I don't recall the score at all.
5 out of the 14 tracks are songs from other artists but they work really well in the context of the soundtrack. You can never go wrong with Townes Van Zandt and it makes me really happy to see Scott Biram get some recognition, that dude has toured the US endlessly for 15+ years, I used to watch him in dive bars in the tiny town I lived near in NH for a few years. It was always him, his guitar, a few amps, a kickdrum, stompbox and a bottle of Jack Danials.
By ScoJo
Cheers inks- TVZ is a boss. I think this all adds up to a re-aquaintance with the film being on the cards. And likely another Cave/Ellis in my collection ;)
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:16 am
5 out of the 14 tracks are songs from other artists but they work really well in the context of the soundtrack. You can never go wrong with Townes Van Zandt and it makes me really happy to see Scott Biram get some recognition, that dude has toured the US endlessly for 15+ years, I used to watch him in dive bars in the tiny town I lived near in NH for a few years. It was always him, his guitar, a few amps, a kickdrum, stompbox and a bottle of Jack Danials.
Where'd you live in the Old Granite, Inks?
By inksb
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:16 am
inksb wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:16 am

Where'd you live in the Old Granite, Inks?
I lived in Somersworth and Newmarket for about 6 years. Worked in Portsmouth.
By Mateo Sanboval
Wicked! I knew all three of those pretty well once upon a time.
By reddye6
inksb wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:33 pm
reddye6 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:55 pm I'd also add Vince Pope's score to the "Be Right Back" Black Mirror episode. It's a shame it's only available digitally.
It's a shame that only a few Black Mirror score's were released physically. I really wanted Ryuichi Sakamoto's Smithereens on vinyl.
You want Sakamoto's "Smithereens" on vinyl? You got it!

As long as you have around US$900, plus shipping.
By inksb
reddye6 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:06 am
inksb wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:33 pm
reddye6 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:55 pm I'd also add Vince Pope's score to the "Be Right Back" Black Mirror episode. It's a shame it's only available digitally.
It's a shame that only a few Black Mirror score's were released physically. I really wanted Ryuichi Sakamoto's Smithereens on vinyl.
You want Sakamoto's "Smithereens" on vinyl? You got it!

As long as you have around US$900, plus shipping.
Holy shit. That's insane. I would love that boxset but lets be honest it's worth maybe $150? Leave it to Japan to charge insane amounts for physical media.