Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Being a bit later to the score collections business than some on this board I have missed out on a lot of releases at the time they came out. But I am fortunate to be able to spend probably more than average on records and can keep up with most releases (especially the ones I really want) and buy some older gems in between. According to discogs I have 365 LPs and 127 45s with the classification of Stage & Screen.
Thanks to this board I learn a lot about releases from times past and obscurities from here and there. And partly because of that my wantlist has 1000 items on it and probably 70% of those are score-related.

I enjoy getting new records or finding more rare versions during the year. A bunch of releases I want I will get once a deal is to be had.

Here is my conundrum. Do I prefer the regular dose of newly acquired wax or should I lay down a ton of cash to purchase someone else's collection and in that way get a quick fix or maybe rather an overdose...

Some of you already have so many records that the chance of taking over a collection is small because you probably will have most of what someone else has. But I am curious as what you guys think.

(also I don't have a ton of cash to lay down as my spending habits keep my reserves low :-) )
By inksb
I guess it depends on what is in that collection and if it's worth it to drop a large sum of money on it.

I have definitely put myself into more debt than I really am comfortable with due to my "must buy this now" mentality when it comes to records. I have pulled back substantially on this over the last 6 months and I'm trying to get my shit straight again before I dive back in fully. I still pick up records and tapes but I have been passing up more and more stuff that I really want lately.
By maxlevel
I’d be allowed to buy the collection if we immediately instituted a ‘one in one out policy’. So in practice I’d prefer to just buy things that come up
By Bezulsqy
Money is an issue for me as I cannot drop a couple of 1000 euro for a bunch of records. But if they are the records that I really want buying them in bulk means a big discount. However buying a lot of records on my want list at once doesn’t make the new releases to go away.
There probably are 100 records out of this collection I want. And 30 I really really want. I already bought 7 and those should arrive by next weekend. If he hasn’t sold the remainder next payday I probably will make another offer for 10 or 20.

I do think it is more satisfying to get a few records regularly and be surprised with unknown releases than to but a 100 at once that you are sort of familiar with but want to simply add to the collection.